118 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:49 AM

Chapman should be quiet.  I have their stuff and work good for me but they have their own issues they should worry about before complaining about others.

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:56 AM

Edited by drez77, 06 April 2018 - 04:58 AM.

#43 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:31 AM

are you using it for mashing? sorry if that's a dumb question - I'm not sure if people use those to filter hops in a BK as well.

Yep

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:43 AM

Chapman should be quiet. I have their stuff and work good for me but they have their own issues they should worry about before complaining about others.

I'm not sure what forum I was reading but he basically said he and a few others were using a different Chinese manufacturer. I was kind of surprised he was willing to kind of shit on Concord because usually these guys don't directly slam the competition like that.

#45 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

okay - I ordered the CK one I linked above.  anyone ordering from that site you can get 10% off with "my10".  I found it in a very old post on HBT or somewhere like that and apparently it still works.

it looks like I need to order a hose barb to put in this thing.  I see CK sells 2 packs of 1/2" MPT to 1/2" barb.  I'm going to probably buy it from CK via amazon b/c I get 5% cash back and it's slightly cheaper for some reason.  what is the diff between MPT and NPT?  I see a lot of other stuff is NPT.

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

so thoughts on insulating this thing?  should I bother?  maybe use something like this: https://www.lowes.co...25-ft-L/3011904

or maybe just try to wrap it up in a couple of blankets?

#47 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

okay - I ordered the CK one I linked above.  anyone ordering from that site you can get 10% off with "my10".  I found it in a very old post on HBT or somewhere like that and apparently it still works.

it looks like I need to order a hose barb to put in this thing.  I see CK sells 2 packs of 1/2" MPT to 1/2" barb.  I'm going to probably buy it from CK via amazon b/c I get 5% cash back and it's slightly cheaper for some reason.  what is the diff between MPT and NPT?  I see a lot of other stuff is NPT.

Same thing, it's just denoting that it is a male pipe thread.

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:40 AM

so thoughts on insulating this thing?  should I bother?  maybe use something like this: https://www.lowes.co...25-ft-L/3011904

I would try neoprene

https://www.amazon.c...B01GWD5WOW?th=1

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:42 AM

it moved a little.

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:57 AM

another option would be a yoga mat

https://www.walmart....-Watt/111346371

#51 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

another option would be a yoga mat

https://www.walmart....-Watt/111346371

:lol:

yeah - that piece of neoprene wasn't very large.  I think the first time through I'll just try wrapping it in a blanket and see how it does or maybe do nothing and see how it does.  I'll plan to start the mash a little hotter than normal.

has anyone looked into the effect of dropping mash temps?  normally you step in the other direction (start cooler and do steps to get progressively warmer).  is there anything inherently bad about losing temp as the mash goes on?

#52 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

:lol:

yeah - that piece of neoprene wasn't very large.  I think the first time through I'll just try wrapping it in a blanket and see how it does or maybe do nothing and see how it does.  I'll plan to start the mash a little hotter than normal.

has anyone looked into the effect of dropping mash temps?  normally you step in the other direction (start cooler and do steps to get progressively warmer).  is there anything inherently bad about losing temp as the mash goes on?

It was 12x54x1/4.  Not small by any means but sure not enough for a kettle.  I just linked the first one I came across.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

so since ordering this thing I've received personal correspondence from the founder and the item has shipped.

#54 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

so since ordering this thing I've received personal correspondence from the founder and the item has shipped.

I would say that is a good thing!

#55 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

I would say that is a good thing!

yeah - we already had one back and forth so it's either an effective bot/employee or the guy is actually talking to me but communication is in place.

#56 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16714 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

I've always wondered if a rock wool blanket cut to the appropriate size would be ideal. You could wrap the kettle and leave it on the propane burner. No need to remove it if you direct fire.

#57 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

doh - they forgot to ship me the false bottom.  I only just e-mailed them to let them know so hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

Being sorted out now.

#59 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

Yep

matt, does your false bottom have any kind of pickup tube on it?  the underside of mine looks like this.  I guess I figured there would be something there to go as close to the floor of the kettle as possible.

vhObZhv.jpg

#60 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

so any ideas how to get this thing to not have quite so much dead space?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users