118 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

Is the consensus that a 30 minute mash is all that's needed now?

I am not sure if it is the consensus but for me I have realized that is all I need.  I will do a sac rest for 30 and then raise it to mash out for 15 and done.

Edited by drez77, 04 April 2018 - 10:07 AM.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

The inside of the Williams brewing kettle is threaded. Would a pickup tube do a good enough job of avoiding deadspace?

Edited by pickle_rick, 04 April 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

I kind of wish I could get one without hardware. That Williams valve isn't SS.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:02 AM

man - this is super annoying.  I may just get the williams one and not use the valve.  unfortunately the inside is 3/8" threaded instead of 1/2" like most stuff out there seems to be.

Edited by pickle_rick, 05 April 2018 - 04:02 AM.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:18 AM

at some point I will have spent enough time looking at these that I may as well have just spent no time and bought something more expensive :lol:

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:50 AM

at some point I will have spent enough time looking at these that I may as well have just spent no time and bought something more expensive :lol:

What about just getting a SS pot and a weldless fitting from brewhardware or some place like that.  If you do not mind weldless this would be a good way to go.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:32 AM

Is the downside just that it might leak? How do those fittings seal up? Silicon (e?) O rings?

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

Have you looked at the Concord kettles website before? They also sell welded port kettles.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:40 AM

Is the downside just that it might leak? How do those fittings seal up? Silicon (e?) O rings?

They have an o-ring. Granted, the new designs are much better than the old cobbled together ones.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:40 AM

https://www.concordk...ns/brew-kettles

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:55 AM

Doh! Concord kettles seem to have a rusting issue because the SS is quite as stainless as they should be.

#32 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:34 AM

I have a keggle and a weldless fitting from about a decade ago, never had a leaking problem.

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

I have a keggle and a weldless fitting from about a decade ago, never had a leaking problem.

Good to know!

#34 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

Of it was me I would get an 80qt SS pot like this one and wrap it with insulation and leave it at that. You could also build a "cheap" RIMS to maintain the temps.

You could probably make your own insulated one by using a pot like that and some kind of plastic vessel for the outside and fill the gap with spray foam. I see plastic barrels for about 10 bucks locally that would work I would imagine.

These pots that drez linked are what I built my system out of, so I have three. I welded all my own ports on. No issues with these.

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:50 PM

These pots that drez linked are what I built my system out of, so I have three. I welded all my own ports on. No issues with these.

That's good to know. I got a little scared about the quality of the metal. The guy from Chapman claims thier manufacturer isn't very good but he would be biased.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

opinions on this setup?

https://www.concordk...welded-couplers

#37 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

That's good to know. I got a little scared about the quality of the metal. The guy from Chapman claims thier manufacturer isn't very good but he would be biased.

I don't think it's the BEST quality out there. And Chapman probably is better. But I haven't had any rust issues. And the material was thick enough to weld to just fine.

This looks pretty good to me. Nicer than the pots that I have, thicker bottom. I also have that same false bottom.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:30 AM

I don't think it's the BEST quality out there. And Chapman probably is better. But I haven't had any rust issues. And the material was thick enough to weld to just fine.

This looks pretty good to me. Nicer than the pots that I have, thicker bottom. I also have that same false bottom.

are you using it for mashing?  sorry if that's a dumb question - I'm not sure if people use those to filter hops in a BK as well.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:33 AM

what I don't get about the chapman tun is they sell it without any kind of pickup so the amount of deadspace has to be something like 1/2 gallon or more.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:36 AM

so i guess I might need an additional burner if I ever wanted to direct fire something like this - or I could just plan on not doing that for now and wrap it in a blanket or something.

just to be clear - what I like about that concord kettles tun is that it's all ready to go.  I just don't have the time to source parts from various places and make sure I get the right stuff and try to rig it all together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users