#121 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7776 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

I seem to remember 2124 being something like 48-54° but then something like 72-76° or some crazy thing.  I never used it warmer but it's interesting to know you could use it that way.

When I first used it as an ale yeast (fermented around 68°); I expected an estery mess, but instead I got a good, clean IPA.  Color me surprised, but pleasantly so.

It was an experiment, sure, but it was nice to know that I could use 34/70 for ales, especially in a pinch if, for some reason my on-deck ale yeast was no good (contaminated, too old, etc.).

#122 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8141 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

When I first used it as an ale yeast (fermented around 68°); I expected an estery mess, but instead I got a good, clean IPA.  Color me surprised, but pleasantly so.

It was an experiment, sure, but it was nice to know that I could use 34/70 for ales, especially in a pinch if, for some reason my on-deck ale yeast was no good (contaminated, too old, etc.).

Yeah, 34/70 has become my all around yeast for both ales and lagers.  Much cleaner than US05.

#123 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10610 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

I really hope you post the recipe and your impression of the brew.

I just bottled it today and primed it with honey. Initial impression from the fermenter is I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I think it would be a lot better with a clean, low IBU hops addition. Recipe is at home. I'll post it later.

#124 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted Today, 04:20 PM

Cleaning up now; did a recipe that interested me.

2.75# each of 2 row, maris otter, and wheat malt. No boil hops, just a hop stand of a half hour of 1.5 oz of El Dariao (sp?) And mosaic. Gonna dry hop it with the same hop bill day 4 of fermentation. Pitched with us 05. Call it a NE bitter.

#125 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12812 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted Today, 04:25 PM

Cleaning up now; did a recipe that interested me.

2.75# each of 2 row, maris otter, and wheat malt. No boil hops, just a hop stand of a half hour of 1.5 oz of El Dariao (sp?) And mosaic. Gonna dry hop it with the same hop bill day 4 of fermentation. Pitched with us 05. Call it a NE bitter.

I did something similar hop wise but I had Citra in the blend as well and it was excellent . I plan on a similar no boil hop beer tomorrow.

Edited by drez77, Today, 04:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users