#121 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

When I first used it as an ale yeast (fermented around 68°); I expected an estery mess, but instead I got a good, clean IPA.  Color me surprised, but pleasantly so.

It was an experiment, sure, but it was nice to know that I could use 34/70 for ales, especially in a pinch if, for some reason my on-deck ale yeast was no good (contaminated, too old, etc.).

Yeah, 34/70 has become my all around yeast for both ales and lagers.  Much cleaner than US05.

#122 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

I really hope you post the recipe and your impression of the brew.

I just bottled it today and primed it with honey. Initial impression from the fermenter is I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I think it would be a lot better with a clean, low IBU hops addition. Recipe is at home. I'll post it later.

#123 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

Cleaning up now; did a recipe that interested me.

2.75# each of 2 row, maris otter, and wheat malt. No boil hops, just a hop stand of a half hour of 1.5 oz of El Dariao (sp?) And mosaic. Gonna dry hop it with the same hop bill day 4 of fermentation. Pitched with us 05. Call it a NE bitter.

#124 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

Cleaning up now; did a recipe that interested me.

2.75# each of 2 row, maris otter, and wheat malt. No boil hops, just a hop stand of a half hour of 1.5 oz of El Dariao (sp?) And mosaic. Gonna dry hop it with the same hop bill day 4 of fermentation. Pitched with us 05. Call it a NE bitter.

I did something similar hop wise but I had Citra in the blend as well and it was excellent . I plan on a similar no boil hop beer tomorrow.

Edited by drez77, 26 May 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#125 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:55 AM

What else you gonna do when it's Memorial Day and the rain bands from a subtropical storm are coming through?  Make beer.  Basic golden ale, 1.060, Magnum for bittering, EKG and Styrian Golding's to finish.

#126 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

Session-able NEAPA here.  No boil hops, 3 oz in the WP then 2oz on day 2 and another 3 oz for a final dry hop.  

#127 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

I was grinding grain on Sunday for a Monday brew and in the hopper were very small black bugs, a bunch of them, and I can only think they were from some older grain I had. This sucks because all grain is kept in Vittle Vaults. Brewing in an open garage I've had stuff fly into the kettle before and never batted an eye, but these little guys got the best of me and I dumped the grain. Looks like an isolated incident. Planning a batch for the weekend.

#128 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

It reminds me of a place nearby that had a huge sale because their warehouse was infested with "grain beetles".  They were selling malt for something crazy like $1 for 5 pounds or something.  I asked around and most everyone said, "Brew with it!  They won't survive the mash and the boil will sanitize everything!".  So I went and bought pilsner malt.  I asked the people at the WH which stuff was infested with the bugs and they said they didn't know.  I bought a bunch of malt and while I was paying I was looking at the bag and exclaimed, "I don't think this grain has any bugs in it!" and someone else agreed and congratulated me.  When I got home I inspected closer and sure enough there were small black/brown bugs about the size of a pin head.  I used the grain as fast as possible and kept it away from my other grain.  The beer came out fine.  

#129 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:48 AM

Good on you. This occasion gave me the skeeves. Normally I don’t gross out.

#130 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

I am preparing for a brew session this weekend... either Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday morning.  Since my son (who I've renamed Sudsy McBeerington) drank the vast majority of my Bordertown Dark Lager while he was here, I am making it again.  I still have 940 active and this may be the last beer I make with it.  I currently have ONE keg in my on-deck fridge when I would ordinarily have 4-5.  I do have the Summer Pale Ale winding down in primary and I'll have the Bordertown and there are more beers planned with the 1056 and then Bayern is coming out.  It's been a rough run with production low and consumption high so I need to get on it.  Cheers peeps.

#131 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:56 AM

Sunday/Monday a Belgian Amber by design.

I'm down to 1/4 keg of Bayern Vienna and roughly 1/2 keg of Bayern Light. Time for a change up. After the Belgian I'll attempt the GL Dortmunder Gold and then a low OG cake maker ale with 1450, which will assist batch 100; An American Strong of some sort.

#132 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

Making my annual cider for my girlfriend's birthday

#133 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

Brewday has begun and I'm about halfway through the mash.  Absolutely gorgeous day here today... sunny, about 75°, a light breeze, not humid, etc.  I see a nice evening of finishing up the brew, drinking a few, watching some Cubs & Mets and maybe hitting the hot tub.  Cheers.

#134 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:42 PM

Brewday next Monday; a rebrew of the cream ale I have on tap now.  Pics are in the pint-pic thread.

Want to get this one brewed and give it some time in the lager fridge so it's ready for the heat of summer next month, when something pale, fizzy, and moderate abv is the order of the day.

Between work this week being hectic and the weather being crappy (raining/storming now), next week looks like a much better week for brewing, at least weather-wise.

#135 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

No beer but a 1/2 gallon of tomato juice ++ will get a lacto starter in a day or two for fermented bloodies

#136 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

I was gonna do a pils today with the new Great western Idaho pils malt but just realized I don't have enough lactic acid.  Have to put it off til I can get into town and pick some up.

#137 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

Just smacked an old pack of 1469 to see if it has life. Hoping to get a bitter done early next week... Need a break from hazy beers ;)

#138 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Going to do a Belgian golden strong tomorrow.   My Ardennes yeast starter is going nuts.    Gonna be a hot mother__  in the brewery tomorrow too.    I get the feeling it's going to be a brutal summer around here...

#139 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:17 AM

I stopped into the supply house yesterday and picked up some things including some Vienna & flaked corn, some 2278 Czech Lager (my 940 is going to be retired after the current batch, Bayern is next and then the 2278) and then some Mt. Hood, Northern Brewer and Cascade.  I'm going to make a version of MLPA with the 1056 I have running now and I'm going to bitter it with a combination of Mt. Hood and Northern Brewer.  Then I'll make another pale ale with 1056 and bitter with something like Apollo or Horizon and then drop in a late combination of Styrian Golding and Cascade... probably 2 ounces of each and I'll leave the grist relatively pale... 6 SRM or so.  The "Summer Pale Ale" with El Dorado & Lemon Drop is done and sitting on the basement floor awaiting transfer to the keg... it smells very nice.  I had another keg blow last night so I need to continue my efforts to catch up.  Cheers peeps.

#140 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

I've found Goldings (EKG, Styrian, even American) play nicely with Cascade, Cent, and Columbus (I don't use Chinook in my brewery, so I can't comment on that).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users