663 replies to this topic

#641 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

So the Staro Prague Rye Pilsner is humming away really nicely. Pitched at low 60's and fermenting at 50. Took off in under 12 hours. Very excited to try this one.

All that stated. What should I do with the slurry? What next? I'm thinking Vienna Lager but.......

Munich Dunkel?

Working on a hop schedule for my next batch, something I'm calling "Overhopped Abomination".

I like the sound of this!

#642 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

Working on a hop schedule for my next batch, something I'm calling "Overhopped Abomination".

I thought of a name today kind of like that.

Unhoppable force of beer.

#643 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

Vienna Lager is always a good idea. I just brewed with it today (American Lager) and I pitched about 1pm central. I made an amber lager, a "gold lager", my Bordertown Dark Lager, a Czech Pils and then the American Lager. I might stop right there but this yeast looks like it's in good shape so maybe *I* will make a Vienna next. :P Cheers.

Sloooow down mister! Just kidding! Your mention of American Lager has peaked my interest. Maybe some flaked corn? More assertive hops? I’ll have a better idea once I taste the gravity reading of the rye pils. Then I’ll know what I’ll want next, or maybe I will haha.

Edited by Poptop, 02 January 2019 - 04:39 PM.

#644 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

Drezz the M Dunkel’s been on my radar

#645 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:03 PM

Sloooow down mister! Just kidding! Your mention of American Lager has peaked my interest. Maybe some flaked corn? More assertive hops? I’ll have a better idea once I taste the gravity reading of the rye pils. Then I’ll know what I’ll want next, or maybe I will haha.

Barke Pils, Vienna, flaked corn, carahell, magnum and Hallertau along with the 2782. Light but good.

#646 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

The corn would lighten the body, but would it be too sweet?

#647 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

With a decent sacc rest temp, enough time, and not using an inordinately large amount of corn, the resulting beer wouldn't be sweet at all.

#648 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:54 PM

No sir.  It's a great, crisp, gold beer.  There are pic of it on my site and I have made it many, many times.  I ordinarily would not make it with Barke Pils because typically have Swaen or Best Malz or whatever but I'm leaning towards making things like this along with helles and pilsner with the best pilsner malt I can find... so I expect this batch to be really good.  

With a decent sacc rest temp, enough time, and not using an inordinately large amount of corn, the resulting beer wouldn't be sweet at all.

My recipe is only 10% corn so just enough and not too much.  

#649 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:02 PM

My recipe is only 10% corn so just enough and not too much.  

Definitely not too much corn; I've gone as high as ~35% for an imperial-ish CAP, which ended up not being sweet by any stretch.

Another key IMO is a highly-enzymatic malt, which we all know describes a lot of today's malts, but most modern Pils malts have what I think of as piranha-like enzymes; they'll tear thru any starch available with no fuss.

#650 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:04 PM

Interesting fellas. Just happen to have more flaked corn than I probably need. This recipe idea sounds perfect.

#651 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

Do all of you guys ever stop and think how we all encourage each other, bounce ideas, poke fun, be real and all get along so well? We may not be a big group but I truly love the quality and the camaraderie we share.

#652 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Do all of you guys ever stop and think how we all encourage each other, bounce ideas, poke fun, be real and all get along so well? We may not be a big group but I truly love the quality and the camaraderie we share.

That's why I think this is the best beer forum going. 

#653 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

^^ me too

#654 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:22 PM

I feel that way.  Good fun, good brewers, no pretense.  Brother Poptop, here's what I made today.  I call it "beer".  :P  The pils was Barke and the Vienna was Weyermann.  The yeast was 2782 and it's already chugging along at 50°.

2wbu9ev.png

#655 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:11 AM

^^ now that is what karma looks like.  I happen to have all of these ingredients on hand in plenty (minus the barke part).  Had you called for barke munich I'd be in luck :)  This looks like a very solid and highly drinkable recipe.

#656 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:56 AM

Definitely not too much corn; I've gone as high as ~35% for an imperial-ish CAP, which ended up not being sweet by any stretch.

Another key IMO is a highly-enzymatic malt, which we all know describes a lot of today's malts, but most modern Pils malts have what I think of as piranha-like enzymes; they'll tear thru any starch available with no fuss.

Can ya help a brother out with the lingo?

#657 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

Can ya help a brother out with the lingo?

Classic American Pilsner

#658 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:17 AM

Classic American Pilsner

Thank you kindly :)

#659 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:27 AM

1z1wcqp.png

#660 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

So the Staro Prague Rye Pilsner is humming away really nicely.  Pitched at low 60's and fermenting at 50.  Took off in under 12 hours.  Very excited to try this one.

All that stated.  What should I do with the slurry?  What next?  I'm thinking Vienna Lager but.......

You inspired me to use this 2782 one more time.  This will be the last batch that I make with it...

vxbvva.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users