#41 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

If that's true it must be some outrageously fantastic extract.

Maybe what I'll do is try the OliveNation stuff again and add more than I have been adding. I typically use only about an ounce of raspberry extract (the McCormick stuff... not the same as the LHBS stuff) in 5 gallons. Maybe I need to use the OliveNation raspberry and use more... like the whole 4oz bottle.

Yeah, that might do it.  But I'm 99% certain I've been told that Lindemann's uses extract.  Considering that they pretty much make raspberry pop, I can believe that.

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, that might do it.  But I'm 99% certain I've been told that Lindemann's uses extract.  Considering that they pretty much make raspberry pop, I can believe that.

I have to agree with this.  I think Ken should get another bottle and try it again at home and see if it has the same flavors he remembers.

#43 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Re: stats. If you put em all together, ain't that extract?

http://www.merchantd...oise-lambic.php

#44 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

Re: stats. If you put em all together, ain't that extract?

http://www.merchantd...oise-lambic.php

I know... I saw that as well. The fact that it says "raspberry flavor" is vague but it also says raspberry juice. Hard to tell. Also, understand this: I don't want to make some sort of Frankenbeer. I'll accept that it could be more difficult and require more steps but I also don't want the final product to be 'raspberry pop' as Denny calls it. I never wanted to make Lindeman's Framboise... I want to get that good raspberry flavor into one of my beers.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

I know this is geared towards sour beers but it may be worth the read.

http://sourbeerblog....eer-with-fruit/

#46 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

+1 on trying the olivenation again. I have used 4oz. of the strawberry in a 5gal batch and turned out great.

#47 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

You could also give Baldwin Extracts a try out of MA. They have some fantastic stuff!

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

You could also give Baldwin Extracts a try out of MA. They have some fantastic stuff!

Damn, never heard of them.  Only about an hour away for me, may have to plan a day trip to the Berkshires and see what they have.

#49 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

Never heard of them either but thanks for the link. I will check it out.

#50 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

Damn, never heard of them. Only about an hour away for me, may have to plan a day trip to the Berkshires and see what they have.

I have a buddy that worked there when in HS. I've tried a lot of their stuff. The Walnut Russe is a staple in my fridge.

#51 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

I was standing in the deli area of my ultra-diverse grocery store this afternoon waiting for my stuff and saw this:

syrup.jpg

Yes, it has sugars in it. It's from Poland. It was $1.99 and it smells delicious. I have to try to find a way to get this into a beer. I think the sugars would make the beer too sweet anyway so some amount of fermentation/metabolism of the sugars would be okay, I think. Kill the yeast? Use lactose to backsweeten the beer? I HAVE NOT FORGETTON ABOUT THIS!! :D

#52 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

I'm considering dropping about a tsp of the raspberry into a glass and tapping some dunkel into it just to see what it says.

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

I'm considering dropping about a tsp of the raspberry into a glass and tapping some dunkel into it just to see what it says.

If that is the lightest beer on tap?

#54 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

If that is the lightest beer on tap?

I just thought that a 'raspberry dark lager' sounded good. Other beers currently on tap: Helles, Amarillo-Citra Pale Ale, a hoppy amber lager. The dunkel is probably the best way to test the flavor of this stuff, right? Even if it's great and I can determine how much of it to add to a 5-gallon batch, I would still have this issue of the sugars, the yeast metabolizing the sugars possibly drying out the beer, etc.

#55 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

I would use a small amount in the Helles but stick with your plan... Just do it!

#56 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

Guys, the correct answer is to try it in every beer on tap. Amateurs.

#57 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

I would use a small amount in the Helles but stick with your plan... Just do it!

Wait. What's my plan? :lol: I don't remember having a plan.

I just took a teaspoon of this stuff and dropped it into a 16oz glass and then tapped a glass of dunkel in there. I could taste it but it was quite faint. So I dropped another teaspoon in there and it was more pronounced but I'm not sure if it's the right amount. 1 tsp per 16oz glass would be about .16 ounces so for a 5-gallon keg 4.8 ounces would work. 2 tsp would be 9.6 ounces per 5 gallons of beer.

But still... what about the sugars? Do I let the yeast metabolize it or kill the yeast? With 2 tsps. of the syrup in a glass, this dunkel is not TOO sweet. There is a slight sweetness but it's not sickening sweet.

#58 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

If it's not too sweet I would probably just pour it in the keg while kegging, carb and drink.

#59 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

If it's not too sweet I would probably just pour it in the keg while kegging, carb and drink.

I thought of that but then yeast in the keg would start a fermentation on the syrup. I thought that if the beer was cold (35° ish) that the yeast wouldn't be active but most of the brewers here disagreed. I suppose I could just try it and see what happens. It's only beer! :D

#60 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:55 AM

Make sure this isn't one of those instances where you want something a little different than what you typically brew but then realize that you don't want 5 gallons of it. That has happened to me a few times. This in mind, maybe you can find one of your go-to beers that a little of this syrup compliments nicely and then mix a teaspoon etc into that beer when you feel like having one like that. This way a whole batch doesn't get mixed but you can drink or serve as many as you want. Just thinking out loud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users