#41 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:24 AM

I use a drill aeration mostly, someday i want a nice stone set-up. There is a video on You-tube where a guy made beer and split it in three one gallon starter jugs and he did nothing to the first one, shook the second , and used pure oxygen on the third. In the end the results were almost the same, His FG's were in the area all within one point of each other in i think it was three days. Wish i had time to search for that video.Then i beleive i read where this Beer god (lives in oregon, makes some great beers,not to invoke his name) said he used a drill aeration method sometimes. And that and the video sold it for me .So i spent around $5 for a new paint mixer and use that .

#42 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:39 AM

I use a drill aeration mostly, someday i want a nice stone set-up. There is a video on You-tube where a guy made beer and split it in three one gallon starter jugs and he did nothing to the first one, shook the second , and used pure oxygen on the third. In the end the results were almost the same, His FG's were in the area all within one point of each other in i think it was three days. Wish i had time to search for that video.Then i beleive i read where this Beer god (lives in oregon, makes some great beers,not to invoke his name) said he used a drill aeration method sometimes. And that and the video sold it for me .So i spent around $5 for a new paint mixer and use that .

How does the paintmixer seem sanitation wise? Are there rough welds or is it smooth? What is it made out of?

#43 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

How does the paintmixer seem sanitation wise? Are there rough welds or is it smooth? What is it made out of?

Should be fine after a good spritz with StarSan, yes?

#44 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

Should be fine after a good spritz with StarSan, yes?

not necessarily - if it is porous and harbors crud it will take a little more than that to sanitize I think.

#45 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

not necessarily - if it is porous and harbors crud it will take a little more than that to sanitize I think.

"FWIW, I use a SS stirrer on a nice cordless drill. I don't trust usual santiation on the spot welds on the stirrer so it goes in the boil with the IC at 25 - 20 min"I wouldn't do that with the plastic bladed ones though

#46 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

"FWIW, I use a SS stirrer on a nice cordless drill. I don't trust usual santiation on the spot welds on the stirrer so it goes in the boil with the IC at 25 - 20 min"I wouldn't do that with the plastic bladed ones though

yeah - I would agree with that. if the plastic ones intended for beer weren't so expensive I'd get one...

#47 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

so I've been trying to figure out a good way to introduce pure O2 into my wort and things are looking expensive. what should I be looking for? it seems like medical grade is EXPENSIVE. Is industrial grade good enough? What's the cheapest way to get a tank? What do I need for regulators? Where are all of the guys using pure O2???

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

so I've been trying to figure out a good way to introduce pure O2 into my wort and things are looking expensive. what should I be looking for? it seems like medical grade is EXPENSIVE. Is industrial grade good enough? What's the cheapest way to get a tank? What do I need for regulators? Where are all of the guys using pure O2???

I use o2 right before I pitch my yeast. Right now I just get the red tanks at homedepot. I do not think there is any reason to get medical grade o2. I have this kit https://www.williams...N_SYST_P699.cfm works perfect. Or you can get the regulator for 20 bucks and get and aeration stone and attach it to a piece of hose and just drop that in. I cannot recall how long a tank last but I only use 60 seconds of o2 for a 5g batch and 2 minutes for a 10g batch.

#49 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

I use o2 right before I pitch my yeast. Right now I just get the red tanks at homedepot. I do not think there is any reason to get medical grade o2. I have this kit https://www.williams...N_SYST_P699.cfm works perfect. Or you can get the regulator for 20 bucks and get and aeration stone and attach it to a piece of hose and just drop that in. I cannot recall how long a tank last but I only use 60 seconds of o2 for a 5g batch and 2 minutes for a 10g batch.

yeah - I can't find a reliable source for how many batches those tanks last. I feel like I'd want to get at least 18 or 19 batches out of it or the cost per batch will start to annoy me b/c I'm a cheap SOB.

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

yeah - I can't find a reliable source for how many batches those tanks last. I feel like I'd want to get at least 18 or 19 batches out of it or the cost per batch will start to annoy me b/c I'm a cheap SOB.

I think I am getting maybe half of that. Have you look at aquarium pumps https://www.austinho...oducts_id=10800

#51 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

I think I am getting maybe half of that. Have you look at aquarium pumps https://www.austinho...oducts_id=10800

my research has told me that shaking does a better job than those guys (despite the effort I have to put in).

#52 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

my research has told me that shaking does a better job than those guys (despite the effort I have to put in).

Found a new article? Just wondering.

#53 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:08 AM

just the one posted earlier in this thread.

#54 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:25 AM

just the one posted earlier in this thread.

Oooooh, snap!!!

#55 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:28 AM

If you give me $20, I'll go buy a new O2 tank and see how long I can run it for. :P

#56 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

If you give me $20, I'll go buy a new O2 tank and see how long I can run it for. :P

but they only cost $8, wait a second....

#57 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

Oooooh, snap!!!

did that come off as "snappy"? I wasn't trying to be :P

#58 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

did that come off as "snappy"? I wasn't trying to be :P

I'm just trying to create some drama. You know, liven up the place.

#59 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

I'm just trying to create some drama. You know, liven up the place.

it could certainly use it - I feel like I've been making 25% of the posts in the beer forum lately...

#60 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

OK, what I have gotten out of this thread so far is that shaking is the best way to aerate, so we should all run out and spend money on O2 systems. :P Something I have been thinking about is the temperature at which we aerate. I have read that above 80F is bad because of Hot Side Aeration, so I usually chill to pitching temp (somewhere below 70, depending on style) before aerating. But more O2 will dissolve in cold wort right? So how about over-chilling before aerating?- Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users