72 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:06 AM

The methods I've heard of (but I don't necessarily know a lot about):1. shaking (my current method)2. some kind of large beater type system3. air pump + filter4. pure O25. ???

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:20 AM

The methods I've heard of (but I don't necessarily know a lot about):1. shaking (my current method)2. some kind of large beater type system3. air pump + filter4. pure O25. ???

cost should be another point to discuss here - I'd like to do what's cheap and safe (for my wort).

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

Zym: I have a small aeration stone that is attached to tubing that connects to an oxygen cannister I pick up at my local hardware store. The aeration stone "kit" was only about $20. Also, when I rack from brewpot to primary, the tubing runs into a strainer and sort of dribbles into the primary which oxygenates the wort... not as well as the stone with the pure O2, but still effective, I think. I will use the pure O2 (maybe 45-60 seconds) on yeasts that just came from a starter, trying to give them the best possible environment. But if I harvest yeast and have a good amount of healthy, active yeast, I just assume that the oxygenation I get from the racking is sufficient. I do know people who shake and also brewers who use a drill attachment to "whip up" the wort. Some have said that this is more dangerous because you could pick up contaminants easier. I won't go as far as saying that if I didn't have oxygen (empty tank, etc.), I wouldn't brew... but I do put more stock in using O2 than I used to. Cheers.

#4 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:38 AM

Well I've built the Alludium Q-36 Wort ModulatorPosted ImagePosted ImageIt operates inline after the pump and CFWC on the way to the fermenter.I just use a HEPA filter and aquarium pump, works good!

Edited by Stout_fan, 20 October 2009 - 05:39 AM.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:45 AM

I kind of like the idea of an aquarium pump b/c then I don't have to keep buying O2 canisters. What's the cheapest/easiest way to set something like this up?

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10746 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

I like this mix-stir which is similar to the paint stir attached to a cordless drill. I get a nice creamy layer of aerated wort and it is strong enough to make a vortex to drag to foam down to the bottom of the carboy. I prefer this to shaking because I think it does a better job and is a lot safer than shaking a full carboy.

#7 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:03 AM

O2 tank with diffuser. Made a marked improvement in my beers. got the tank for $10 at thrift shop. One of those on wheels that people on O2 would need for Emphasema.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:15 AM

O2 tank with diffuser. Made a marked improvement in my beers. got the tank for $10 at thrift shop. One of those on wheels that people on O2 would need for Emphasema.

Sounds like you got quite the deal on the tank - how much is the diffuser? how much is it to fill the tank and how many batches does it get you through?

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:16 AM

I like this mix-stir which is similar to the paint stir attached to a cordless drill. I get a nice creamy layer of aerated wort and it is strong enough to make a vortex to drag to foam down to the bottom of the carboy. I prefer this to shaking because I think it does a better job and is a lot safer than shaking a full carboy.

what do you use to stir? I shake in a bucket :P

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:40 AM

I use The Oxynator™. It was expensive, $60(?) when I bought it, but it works great. MoreBeer sells essentially the same thing for $30. It uses the disposable O2 bottles, but I don't go through them very fast at all. It's well worth the cost. 1-2 minutes gets you a fully saturated wort. I don't know much about the air pump systems, but I think I've heard that you need to run them for 30-45 minutes and you still don't get full saturation.

#11 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

I use the aquarium pump kit, with inline filter and diffuser stone from NB. It was something like $30 when I got it, while it works good it takes a while to fully aerate the wort. I may end up getting oxygen but not in a rush right now.

#12 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:49 AM

The tubing that attaches to the output side of my CFC is a little loose. It sucks a nice stream of bubbles into the line. Is that ghetto enough?Then just to be sure, I shake the Better Bottle for a couple minutes.- Jim

#13 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:09 AM

I always had a lot of problems with foam while using an aquarium pump system. Of course, this was before I got the FermcapS stuff. Whether you go with the aquarium pump or an O2 system, I'd suggest you get a SS stone. I'd always cringe while using the other ceramic or plastic ones used in aquariums.I recently got one of the SS diffusion stones attached to the 26' SS tube, a regulator, and one of the O2 tanks, and it makes me feel way more comfortable than using the aquarium pump. It's quick and simple, and I can easily come back to the fermenter every few hours before fermentation to give it a jolt if it's a high gravity beer. The 26' tube costs more, but it's way easier than handling all that tubing.Does anyone suggest using a filter while using one of those O2 tanks from a hardware store?

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:18 AM

I use The Oxynator™. It was expensive, $60(?) when I bought it, but it works great. MoreBeer sells essentially the same thing for $30. It uses the disposable O2 bottles, but I don't go through them very fast at all. It's well worth the cost. 1-2 minutes gets you a fully saturated wort. I don't know much about the air pump systems, but I think I've heard that you need to run them for 30-45 minutes and you still don't get full saturation.

yeah - I can't justify that kind of additional cost right now. I'm thinking maybe some kind of mixer I can hook up to my cordless might be the most reasonable option for me but I dunno...

#15 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

I think I saw somewhere somebody attached one of those sink aerator screens to the end of their transfer tube and said it did a pretty decent job of aerating the wort. Just a thought.

#16 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10746 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

https://www.highgrav...ategory=125here is a picture of the mix-stir. The ends fold down to fit thru the carboy top and then expand when you turn it with a drill.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:08 AM

yeah - I can't justify that kind of additional cost right now. I'm thinking maybe some kind of mixer I can hook up to my cordless might be the most reasonable option for me but I dunno...

They make aeration extensions for drills, or you could probably make your own. More Beer sells one for $20. I wouldn't waste your money. Just keep doing what you're doing and save up for the oxygenation set up. It's way better than using air.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

They make aeration extensions for drills, or you could probably make your own. More Beer sells one for $20. I wouldn't waste your money. Just keep doing what you're doing and save up for the oxygenation set up. It's way better than using air.

fair enough - can you or anyone break down the cost of the items involved?

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:32 AM

I think you guys should read this:PDFBasically when comparing the common methods (excluding pure O2) it seems as though shaking/rocking is the best method of getting close to saturation. The graph near the bottom of the document sums it up.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

I think you guys should read this:PDFBasically when comparing the common methods (excluding pure O2) it seems as though shaking/rocking is the best method of getting close to saturation. The graph near the bottom of the document sums it up.

Nice find. It would've been even cooler if they did a data set with pure O2 injection for comparison. In any case, shaking seems like a decent way to go. Sure, it sucks shaking a carboy for 5 minutes, but it will get you over 90% O2 saturation.:P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users