Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:34 AM

so is this a good soft or a bad soft?

I don't know yet. Different than standard for sure.

#162 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:19 AM

I will be testing my first Brewtan beer tonight.  I am not sure how much I will be able to tell with 7.5 ounces of dry hops in there but we will see.

#163 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:38 AM

I will be testing my first Brewtan beer tonight.  I am not sure how much I will be able to tell with 7.5 ounces of dry hops in there but we will see.

which beer is this?  standard drez pale ale?

#164 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:50 AM

which beer is this?  standard drez pale ale?

No, it is a new "session" beer I am playing around with 4% abv little different than my normal DPA :)

27982679170_81055c853e_o.jpg

#165 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:52 AM

that sounds great!

#166 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:53 AM

that sounds great!

Fingers crossed!

#167 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54285 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:59 AM

This stuff is definitely changing something in the beer.

This is the spot I'm in... the "something is happening" spot. The question is "what is it doing" and after determining that, finding out what the positives are and what else might have to be done as a result. You don't want "soft" if it means "too soft". The helles that I said was super soft was the most popular beer here while my family has been here and it was the first keg to go. As I drank it, I was still trying to decide if it was too soft and needed sulfate or if it maybe just needed a bump in hops, etc. Bottom line, something is happening and I'm glad to hear this from another brewer so I know I'm not crazy.

#168 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16703 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

No, it is a new "session" beer I am playing around with 4% abv little different than my normal DPA :)

27982679170_81055c853e_o.jpg

:chug: Yum.

Unsolicited feedback coming so tell me to zip it if you want. At that gravity and with that grist and yeast I think you can mash that hotter and end up with a beer that is not the least bit sweet and has less EtOH and a touch more body. Thoughts?

Also are you going to put a New England spin on this?

#169 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

Unsolicited feedback coming so tell me to zip it if you want. At that gravity and with that grist and yeast I think you can mash that hotter and end up with a beer that is not the least bit sweet and has less EtOH and a touch more body. Thoughts?

I was thinking that too but then I thought with 1450 and possibly some "softness" from the brewtan it could end up just right.  Also, isn't flaked wheat supposed to add a little body?

#170 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

I agree that i am sure I could have went at 156 or even a big higher.  I am in New England so all my beers have a NE spin :).  For this one I did the first dry hop at day 4/5 of fermentation and capped the fermenter so it was done under a bit of pressure.  I did cold crash it for a few days to get most of the "gunk" to drop out, also done under pressure.  I let it warm back up to low 60's before I moved it to a keg that had the last dose of DH's.  It stayed at cellar temps for about 6 hours and then went in to the fridge at 43 and put back on CO2. 

I did sample it a couple days before kegging and it did not seem thin but I will only be able to tell once I get a carbonated sample in my cup.

#171 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:40 AM

The two brewtan beers I've tapped so far also have had crazy creamy and long lasting head. One was 100% pilsner malt helles and the other was Drez's citra nelson rye pale.

#172 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:45 AM

The two brewtan beers I've tapped so far also have had crazy creamy and long lasting head. One was 100% pilsner malt helles and the other was Drez's citra nelson rye pale.

How did you like that beer?

#173 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:45 AM

I've found rye tends to help with head retention for me.

#174 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16703 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

I was thinking that too but then I thought with 1450 and possibly some "softness" from the brewtan it could end up just right.  Also, isn't flaked wheat supposed to add a little body?

I have heard that said about flaked wheat but I have to say I am not sure I get any body from flaked wheat.

I agree that i am sure I could have went at 156 or even a big higher.  I am in New England so all my beers have a NE spin :).  For this one I did the first dry hop at day 4/5 of fermentation and capped the fermenter so it was done under a bit of pressure.  I did cold crash it for a few days to get most of the "gunk" to drop out, also done under pressure.  I let it warm back up to low 60's before I moved it to a keg that had the last dose of DH's.  It stayed at cellar temps for about 6 hours and then went in to the fridge at 43 and put back on CO2. 

I did sample it a couple days before kegging and it did not seem thin but I will only be able to tell once I get a carbonated sample in my cup.

Sounds great and let us know how it comes out brewtan and otherwise. Next time I will read more carefully to see that you already brewed it. More coffee needed.

Whats the logic of keeping it under pressure for the dry hop(s)?

#175 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

Whats the logic of keeping it under pressure for the dry hop(s)?

I have read some articles about it .. seen what they said and wanted to see what I get.  Only one way to know.

https://scottjanish....ping-pressure/ 

Edited by drez77, 12 July 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#176 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

I have read some articles about it .. seen what they said and wanted to see what I get.  Only one way to know.

https://scottjanish....ping-pressure/ 

I end up keeping the beer under pressure for dry hopping just so I can carb while I dry hop :P

#177 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Sure...anything high in protein will have tht effect.

#178 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

Definitely. The surprise was the 100% Pilsner malt helles. The head is usually fine but this was extra creamy and long lasting.

#179 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

How did you like that beer?

:cheers:  :frank:

Very tasty with a wonderful aroma. I would brew again. I poured it for my wife and a friend. They both complimented the beer. It just carbed up so it needs a little more time to be as bright as your pic in that thread.

#180 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54285 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:51 AM

Definitely. The surprise was the 100% Pilsner malt helles. The head is usually fine but this was extra creamy and long lasting.

That's good to know. I have no idea if brewtan is doing something for the head formation and stability or not. The head on the brewtan helles I made was also very fine and long-lasting. The S-189 pils is not quite as fine and thick which is strange because that's the one that had some carapils and carafoam in it. I'm also noticing that my most recent beers have been very clear but I also gelled them after they were cold in the keg. Is the brewtan adding to that clarity? Not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users