3.) it ain't this because I did none of those things

#242 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16679 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

Add it before other finings is what Joe told me.  I use Brewtan at 15 min. to flameout and Whirlfloc at 5 to flameout.

Thanks for that. I wondered if it might matter.

Whoops, I did that backwards

Doh! Did you still get clear wort after chilling?

#243 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54191 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

3.) it ain't this because I did none of those things

Yes but you're not willing to confirm that the brewtan is making a difference. :D

#244 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:14 AM

Doh! Did you still get clear wort after chilling?

It was pretty clear,  I noticed a ton of break at the beginning of the boil.  Also, the wort is a lot darker than non Brewtan.

#245 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

It was pretty clear,  I noticed a ton of break at the beginning of the boil.  Also, the wort is a lot darker than non Brewtan.

This is a good point.  I have noticed more break material at the beginning of boil on my brewtan beers as well.

#246 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:35 AM

Yes but you're not willing to confirm that the brewtan is making a difference. :D

I can confirm that it seems to be making a difference.  I can't state that categorically until I do more testing.

#247 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54191 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:48 AM

I can confirm that it seems to be making a difference.  I can't state that categorically until I do more testing.

That's encouraging. I know you want to step carefully and I understand why. It seemed like Chils could detect a difference and now he cannot. Any results from testing would be interesting for sure but if the results are inconclusive but I still think the brewtan is doing something, I'll be a little discouraged because then it's either confirmation bias or "something we don't know". It would still be very interesting to hear from Joe and understand exactly what brewtan will and will not do and if it might do more for some than for others based on water, how much O2 pickup someone is getting in their brewday, etc.

#248 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

Yeah Ken, I go straight to keg from primary rack slowly thru small tubing and fill to the gas tube leaving very little headspace. No changes in process on these 2 batches.

#249 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54191 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

Yeah Ken, I go straight to keg from primary rack slowly thru small tubing and fill to the gas tube leaving very little headspace. No changes in process on these 2 batches.

Maybe it's the placebo effect. I think the brewtan is doing something and therefore it's doing something. :P Maybe that's just another way to describe bias confirmation too. Not sure about any of this... it's all stabbing in the dark especially for me because I have no clue what the stuff is doing. What I do know is that I think it's improved my beers and I'm also more excited to brew more now than ever. I feel like the beers I've been making have been some of the best beers of the last 17 years of doing this and I'm completely amped up to brew new recipes and rebrew beers I've made many times before. I'm like a born-again brewer or something! :lol:

#250 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

So I just racked my light lager from it's overnight chill and pitched my drauflassen starter. Usually the main volume with no yeast is crystal clear with all the trub on the bottom. This was like cloudy cider.

I forgot about adding the brewtan before fining and mixed irish moss in the slurry with the brewtan and added it at 15 mins. Makes me wonder if the brewtan messes up the finings action.

Edited by chils, 10 August 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#251 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54191 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

So I just racked my light lager from it's overnight chill and pitched my drauflassen starter. Usually the main volume with no yeast is crystal clear with all the trub on the bottom. This was like cloudy cider.

I forgot about adding the brewtan before fining and mixed irish moss in the slurry with the brewtan and added it at 15 mins. Makes me wonder if the brewtan messes up the finings action.

I actually never gave any of that a thought. I do the brewtan (mixed with water) around 15 and whirfloc at 7 and never strayed too much from that. Your comment will remind me to keep the two separated with brewtan first, whirfloc second. Do you normally use irish moss? I haven't used it in years because whirfloc has done such a nice job for me. I have a can of this Supermoss which is trickier to use and doesn't seem to be as efficient.

#252 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

I actually never gave any of that a thought. I do the brewtan (mixed with water) around 15 and whirfloc at 7 and never strayed too much from that. Your comment will remind me to keep the two separated with brewtan first, whirfloc second. Do you normally use irish moss? I haven't used it in years because whirfloc has done such a nice job for me. I have a can of this Supermoss which is trickier to use and doesn't seem to be as efficient.

Yeah never had a problem with moss. When I chilled the wort it had great cold break but when I stirred it back in to help it chill faster, the break never resettled. BTW I also use a SS immersion chiller.

#253 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:34 AM

I'll be interviewing Joe Formanek about Brewtan at the end of the month.  If you have a question you'd like us to ask, email it to podcast@experimentalbrew.com.  Put JOE in the subject line.

#254 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

I'll be interviewing Joe Formanek about Brewtan at the end of the month.  If you have a question you'd like us to ask, email it to podcast@experimentalbrew.com.  Put JOE in the subject line.

I'll just put it here:

how does it work?

benefits?

confirmation of the right way to use it.

#255 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

I'll just put it here:

how does it work?

benefits?

confirmation of the right way to use it.

OK, OK...I'll do it for you!  ;)

#256 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

I'm about to mash in with 1/2 tsp of brewtan (10 gal batch).

Can I make the 1 tsp slurry for the boil ahead of time (an hour or so) or should I make it soon before it goes in?  I just like to have stuff for the boil ready well ahead of time so I don't have to think too much.

#257 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:41 AM

Denny - have you ever posted or commented on your perceived thoughts on Brewtan and if the final beers are different?  I know you did a few batches with and without it.

Edited by drez77, 13 September 2016 - 05:41 AM.

#258 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:44 AM

I'm seeing the pink foam!

#259 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:13 AM

I'm seeing the pink foam!

I had some break that had veins

#260 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

I had some break that had veins

I took some shots of the pink foam.  there is a lot of scrambled egg in my hydro sample.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users