It will be out 10/12

#283 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

My last beer (pumpkin spice) didn't have the pink/purple color in the wort.  Wonder if it just happens for the lighter color beers or if the pumpkin fought off the color. I'm a little bummed, as I was going to take a picture of the colorful break.

#284 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

I think that maybe using brewtan is going to have me rethinking my use of carapils.  the soft nature of the brewtan beer makes me want the body from the carapils a little less I think.  anyone have any thoughts on this?

#285 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:59 PM

I think that maybe using brewtan is going to have me rethinking my use of carapils.  the soft nature of the brewtan beer makes me want the body from the carapils a little less I think.  anyone have any thoughts on this?

might be a good idea, i can see your logic

#286 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

1.036-1.004 Rahr Pilsner light beer. Just enough acid malt to hit 5.2 pH, 12 IBUs CTZ.

I preferred the non-BT beer 75% of the time blindly trying them and was able to pick the non-BT beer out by aroma about the same amt of time. The wife preferred the BT version saying that the non-BT version had a slight metallic flavor.

The non-BT version of this beer was an anomaly in how good it tasted. I have no idea why it was so good but it just has a rich malt character which the recipe doesn't reflect.

The BT version tastes like your average light beer.

I suggest that you compare some of your own BT vs Non-BT recipes side-by-side if you truly want a non-biased opinion on what it does(or doesn't) do.

#287 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

1.036-1.004 Rahr Pilsner light beer. Just enough acid malt to hit 5.2 pH, 12 IBUs CTZ.

I preferred the non-BT beer 75% of the time blindly trying them and was able to pick the non-BT beer out by aroma about the same amt of time. The wife preferred the BT version saying that the non-BT version had a slight metallic flavor.

The non-BT version of this beer was an anomaly in how good it tasted. I have no idea why it was so good but it just has a rich malt character which the recipe doesn't reflect.

The BT version tastes like your average light beer.

I suggest that you compare some of your own BT vs Non-BT recipes side-by-side if you truly want a non-biased opinion on what it does(or doesn't) do.

For the EB Brewyan experiment we didn't specify a recipe. We just asked the IGORs to brew a recipe they were familar with...2 batches, one with and one without. There are 14 brewers taking part, including drez.

#288 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

has there been any discussion on any health or safety concerns with brewtan with regards to handling or ingesting (obviously diluted in beer)?

#289 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

has there been any discussion on any health or safety concerns with brewtan with regards to handling or ingesting (obviously diluted in beer)?

First I have read about this, have you heard anything?

#290 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

First I have read about this, have you heard anything?

not at all.  I'm not saying there are issues - I'm just asking if it has come up anywhere.

#291 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

It's just tannic acid, so there shouldn't be much of a concern. There are some links between certain highly tannic foods and cancer as well as potentially interfering with nutrient uptake in the gut. As far as cancer, some tannic foods are linked to reduced cancer incidence, so any link might actually be to other constituents in the food. There is also a good chance that much of it is dropping out of the beer as it clears.

#292 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:48 AM

good to know.  :cheers:

#293 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

My local just added 1# to this weeks order for me so I'll be able to chime in soon.

#294 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:28 PM

My local just added 1# to this weeks order for me so I'll be able to chime in soon.

Did you find a local outlet for Brewtan? I assume it's only a matter of time but all I've seen so far is commercial account access through Wyeast or retail access from places like iBrew in Australia. It would be great if you had a local supplier that carried it.

#295 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

Did you find a local outlet for Brewtan? I assume it's only a matter of time but all I've seen so far is commercial account access through Wyeast or retail access from places like iBrew in Australia. It would be great if you had a local supplier that carried it.

No, I meant one of my local breweries. I should've been more clear about that.

#296 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:54 AM

so I think I am slightly backing off this statement.  it seems with some clearing and a bit more conditioning the IBUs are becoming closer to where I expected them.  the softness and body is not quite as overwhelming either.  I'm really happy with how this IPA turned out.

#297 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:57 AM

so I think I am slightly backing off this statement.  it seems with some clearing and a bit more conditioning the IBUs are becoming closer to where I expected them.  the softness and body is not quite as overwhelming either.  I'm really happy with how this IPA turned out.

Good to know.  I did sample an APA I did a few weeks back while dry hopping the other day and it did not have the bit I expected.  Now this was flat and warm but I still feel I have a good idea of what to expect.  I will see how this beer progresses.

#298 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:20 AM

Good to know.  I did sample an APA I did a few weeks back while dry hopping the other day and it did not have the bit I expected.  Now this was flat and warm but I still feel I have a good idea of what to expect.  I will see how this beer progresses.

The first brewtan beer I made (a helles) seemed to be slightly sweet when I first tried it. The low-O2 guys mentioned something about a deeper malt profile (not that brewtan equates to low-O2 brewing... just stating that for the record) and that the resulting beers could seem sweet. But the hint of sweetness did not stay there for long and the beer (and other beers) ended up being very nicely-balanced with a deep malt profile, very clear- and clean-tasting hops and a dry finish. I will guess that people who try their brewtan beers for the first time will notice some different flavors or things they haven't noticed in their beers before... depending on style.

#299 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

not at all.  I'm not saying there are issues - I'm just asking if it has come up anywhere.

Nope...I think it's such a non issue that it hasn't come up.

#300 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

I spent the first part of the week at a retailer's conference put on by a major homebrew wholesaler.  In talking to the guy who brings on their products, he's very excited about Brewtan and looking forward to the EB experiments.  I wouldn't be surprised to se it around in maybe 6 months or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users