Photo
- - - - -

A separate conversation: Low-O2 brewing...

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#161 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

you might even make a profit on this one Rich :D

#162 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:43 PM

I think I'll print out the data sheet and include them in the shipment.

#163 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18072 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

I think I'll print out the data sheet and include them in the shipment.

You should wrap the data sheet around a bottle of kolsch so it stays safe in shipment.

#164 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

q265hqz.jpg

#165 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:51 AM

Denny... I realize that it will be awhile before you have any information about the brewdays this week but if you get any sense of whether the Brewtan did anything noticeable during the brewday, please share. One thing that the GBF guys mentioned was that if the mash had low/no dissolved O2 in it, you would get less of an aroma. I know that my kitchen smells like "MASH" when I brew and these guys mention getting almost no smell because all of that is staying in the mash. There is supposed to be some sort of better runoff characteristic with the Brewtan B as well. Anything you notice that seems different, please let us know. Meanwhile, I'm sleeping on the front porch waiting for mine to arrive from AUS. :lol: Cheers.

#166 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

You should wrap the data sheet around a bottle of kolsch so it stays safe in shipment.

Depending on timing, you may be in luck. I brewed Kolsch last weekend and my brother is going to help me bottle some up for his vacation next month. I might buy some extra bottles...

#167 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:23 AM

Denny... I realize that it will be awhile before you have any information about the brewdays this week but if you get any sense of whether the Brewtan did anything noticeable during the brewday, please share. One thing that the GBF guys mentioned was that if the mash had low/no dissolved O2 in it, you would get less of an aroma. I know that my kitchen smells like "MASH" when I brew and these guys mention getting almost no smell because all of that is staying in the mash. There is supposed to be some sort of better runoff characteristic with the Brewtan B as well. Anything you notice that seems different, please let us know. Meanwhile, I'm sleeping on the front porch waiting for mine to arrive from AUS. :lol: Cheers.

Ken, I've been questioned about this by one of the GBF guys on the AHA forum.  What I told him was that I wouldn't want to make any judgements about something so subtle without having a comparison in front of me.  For me, that kind of speculation was one of the red f;lags on their original postings.  As to better runoff, I don't have any runoff issues anyway so I don't know how it could have been better.  OTOH, as this batch today progresses, I MAY be able to draw some comparisons with yesterday's.

#168 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18072 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

Depending on timing, you may be in luck. I brewed Kolsch last weekend and my brother is going to help me bottle some up for his vacation next month. I might buy some extra bottles...

sweet

#169 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

Ken, I've been questioned about this by one of the GBF guys on the AHA forum.  What I told him was that I wouldn't want to make any judgements about something so subtle without having a comparison in front of me.  For me, that kind of speculation was one of the red f;lags on their original postings.  As to better runoff, I don't have any runoff issues anyway so I don't know how it could have been better.  OTOH, as this batch today progresses, I MAY be able to draw some comparisons with yesterday's.

I'm envisioning a situation where you might eventually have these two beers side-by-side and say that you don't really notice much difference between the two. But it's also possible that you're much better at controlling O2 pickup during the brewday than I am so it may be something I would still need to try for myself... which was always the intention. Where did you get your Brewtan B? Did the guys at Wyeast give you a sample?

#170 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

I'm envisioning a situation where you might eventually have these two beers side-by-side and say that you don't really notice much difference between the two. But it's also possible that you're much better at controlling O2 pickup during the brewday than I am so it may be something I would still need to try for myself... which was always the intention. Where did you get your Brewtan B? Did the guys at Wyeast give you a sample?

No, I got it at CBC from Joe Formanek, who works for Ajinomoto and was representing them at CBC.

As to controlling O2 pickup, I really don't worry about it and I do nothing to control it.  I pour mash and sparge water, batch sparge, stir the mash...all things that according to some people should ruin my beer.  Yet I win awards from high ranking judges and both I and others enjoy my beer.  I guess I didn't realize how many people there were who can't discern sucky beer!

Edited by denny, 18 May 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#171 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

OK, just finished the sparge runoff.  Here are some observations...the runoff from the Brewtan B batch _might_ have been _slightly_ clearer, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.  And as we all know, there's really no correlation between runoff clarity and beer clarity.  All measurable parameters were exactly the same...volumes, gravities, pH, etc. I have to say that trying to find similarities and differences makes me even more skeptical of people saying they notice differences without doing direct comparisons.

#172 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

End of boil wort _may_ be just a _tad_ darker, but again, without a direct side by side, I can't be certain.

Edited by denny, 18 May 2016 - 01:11 PM.

#173 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

Good stuff. The color could be anything including pH, correct? How did the stuff dilute in water before you threw it into the boil? Does the stuff have any odor? Did your Brewtan mash have less aroma in your brewery than the non-Brewtan or any other batch you have made? Not sure if that's even a consideration because it's not like there is NO O2... it's just not able to react with the ingredients (if I'm understanding this) so I'm not sure if the mash aroma is an indicator or not. Cheers and thanks for the update.

#174 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

Good stuff. The color could be anything including pH, correct? How did the stuff dilute in water before you threw it into the boil? Does the stuff have any odor? Did your Brewtan mash have less aroma in your brewery than the non-Brewtan or any other batch you have made? Not sure if that's even a consideration because it's not like there is NO O2... it's just not able to react with the ingredients (if I'm understanding this) so I'm not sure if the mash aroma is an indicator or not. Cheers and thanks for the update.

pH was exactly the same on both batches.  Dilution was fine..no issues at all.  I pulled about 1/2 cup of wort form the kettle and used that.  No odor.  No way I can say about if the mash had more or less aroma.  It would have to be a major difference to make that claim, and I'm skeptical of people who do.  And like you say, I wasn't trying too limit O2 in any way.  But I would assume that if Brewtan does interrupt the reaction, it would do it in the mash as well.  SO many questions for Joe!  BTW, after these batches are done, we'll have him on the show to talk about it.

#175 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

pH was exactly the same on both batches.  Dilution was fine..no issues at all.  I pulled about 1/2 cup of wort form the kettle and used that.  No odor.  No way I can say about if the mash had more or less aroma.  It would have to be a major difference to make that claim, and I'm skeptical of people who do.  And like you say, I wasn't trying too limit O2 in any way.  But I would assume that if Brewtan does interrupt the reaction, it would do it in the mash as well.  SO many questions for Joe!  BTW, after these batches are done, we'll have him on the show to talk about it.

Awesome. Thanks for the information and keep us posted on what you find. My guess is that you'll find beer! :lol:

#176 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:36 PM

You're a good guesser!

#177 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

By the way, 3lb of Brewtan is on it's way. Scheduled to be at the shop next Wednesday.

#178 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

By the way, 3lb of Brewtan is on it's way. Scheduled to be at the shop next Wednesday.

have you gotten an idea on the cost yet?

#179 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:35 AM

Nope.
Won't know until my friend gets the invoice.

#180 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:48 AM

Looks like all the cool kids are doing it so, what the heck, sign me up. I'll get my Brewtan on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users