Photo
- - - - -

A separate conversation: Low-O2 brewing...

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#141 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

Lambic is different but yeah you should probably open it. Is it the gueuze?

Yeah ...LP Gueuze

10514726_10153181861104657_2834888973886

#142 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

Yeah ...LP Gueuze

Ken just threw up in his mouth a little bit. Maybe a lot. Meanwhile the rest of us are popping chubbies.

#143 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

Oxidation in big malty beers can come off sherry like.

or metallic, or exaggerated caramel

#144 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

how long do you think I can let a beer age/oxidize?  I have a few bottles of old ale in my basement from jan/feb 2010.  it's been a while since I cracked one.  I thought it might be interesting to have one with my son when he's old enough for that sort of thing.  how many people get to try a beer older than they are?

I once had the opportunity to taste a 74 year old bottle of Ballantine Burton Ale.  Not very beer like any more.  OTOH, a 5 year old Am. BW I made took first at the state fair with comments about how well oxidation had treated the beer.

#145 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

Yeah ...LP Gueuze

10514726_10153181861104657_2834888973886

The Peche N Brett seems out of place, what years is it? C&C La Folie, nice. They LP should be interesting, do you know its provenance?

#146 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

or metallic, or exaggerated caramel

I think those might be the most common expression of oxidation. I've heard that some oxidized hop flavors can taste rubbery, and I wonder if that is the character that I dislike in many Simcoe beers.

Sometimes, diacetyl can taste "dirty" or musty and might be confused with oxidation.

#147 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:36 PM

The Peche N Brett seems out of place, what years is it? C&C La Folie, nice. They LP should be interesting, do you know its provenance?

The PnB is the first year. I know some of the history on the LP99 but not 100%. It was came with a 50N4E and Armand seasons. The LaForge was excellent.

#148 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

The PnB is the first year. I know some of the history on the LP99 but not 100%. It was came with a 50N4E and Armand seasons. The LaForge was excellent.

The seasons are great beers. I assume original 50N4E

#149 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

I think those might be the most common expression of oxidation. I've heard that some oxidized hop flavors can taste rubbery, and I wonder if that is the character that I dislike in many Simcoe beers.
Sometimes, diacetyl can taste "dirty" or musty and might be confused with oxidation.

Good points!

#150 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

The seasons are great beers. I assume original 50N4E

Sadly 2012 version.

#151 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

OK, we have 3lbs coming, not sure when it will get here. I'm not even sure what it cost (neither does my friend). I will make up 100g packs. I need info to send it out. PM me your name and address if you want me to send it to you.

I'm a little worried about this. I'm going to be making baggies of powder to send to your people. It's a bit concerning.

#152 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

OK, we have 3lbs coming, not sure when it will get here. I'm not even sure what it cost (neither does my friend). I will make up 100g packs. I need info to send it out. PM me your name and address if you want me to send it to you.

I'm a little worried about this. I'm going to be making baggies of powder to send to your people. It's a bit concerning.

:lol:

I ordered two 50g bags of it, I think. I'm not going to bother you with it unless I use it and determine that it's an ingredient that I plan to use on every batch. Then I will check to see if you have any left. I'm hoping my supply arrives shortly so I can brew with it. Also, my guess is that someone will start carrying it so that it can be easily ordered (MoreBeer, Farmhouse, Northern Brewer, Williams, etc). Thanks for checking it out for us Rich.

#153 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

Got my Brewtan B mash going now.  Almost ready to run it off.  No other changes to my normal brewing process.

#154 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

:lol:

I ordered two 50g bags of it, I think. I'm not going to bother you with it unless I use it and determine that it's an ingredient that I plan to use on every batch. Then I will check to see if you have any left. I'm hoping my supply arrives shortly so I can brew with it. Also, my guess is that someone will start carrying it so that it can be easily ordered (MoreBeer, Farmhouse, Northern Brewer, Williams, etc). Thanks for checking it out for us Rich.

As of now, at least through WYeast, you can only get it if you have a commercial brewery. My buddies bought a homebrew shop and they are starting a little brewery so they can get the stuff. I suspect, if things work out with this stuff, WYeast won't hesitate to sell to homebrew shops if demand is high enough.

#155 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

I intend to speak with Wyeast about it.

#156 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

Look at him... throwing his homebrewer weight around... step aside boys, Sheriff Denny "Batch Sparge" Conn is in town... :D

#157 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

good man!

#158 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

good man!

Ya know, why not?  Those people are friends, so at least it's easy to broach the topic.  But I want to wait until after my trials so I can assure them it's worth it, and also speak to potential customers about my experience.  Neither Drew nor I will ever endorse a product that we don't use and believe in.

#159 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

yeah , 100gram baggies from Florida?

#160 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen