Photo
- - - - -

A separate conversation: Low-O2 brewing...

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#201 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54127 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

Ken, are you going to do separate batches and blind tastings to confirm LODO is working?

My plan at first is to make some batches that are made here a lot (MLPA, Helles, maybe my Bordertown Dark Lager... recipes that have been made many, many times) and make them with these LODO steps. It's possible that I will taste the beers and conclude that nothing or very little has changed. If I come to the conclusion that the LODO batches are clearly better, then I'll take some steps to do some comparisons. Generally, I am not easily swayed by something... I'm not going to declare that my LODO batches are CLEARLY BETTER unless they're stellar.

#202 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:57 AM

Good enough. I think I'd be more inclined to do comparison batches if I thought there wasn't much difference, but that's me.

#203 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

Good enough. I think I'd be more inclined to do comparison batches if I thought there wasn't much difference, but that's me.

Any LoDO mumblings at Homebrew Con so far?

#204 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54127 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:18 AM

At the moment, the situation here has been high-consumption and low production (busy with work, a lot of entertaining at the house). This is actually a good thing because it would expedite my plan to get beers to the taps faster but it still means that I have to brew. I made a Columbus-Amarillo-Citra pale ale on 5/30 and I plan to eventually move that beer to a keg, dry hop it over 5 days and then move it to the fridge to chill it and carb it. This weekend I plan to make a helles with my resurrected 2352. So I don't have the time to do a lot of experiments right now. But I will be closely examining these LODO beers to see if I pick up something new, different, better, etc.

#205 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

I baggied up 100g bags of the brewtan B last night. I need to print some info out to go with these, but I have the envelopes and will soon have everything I need to send this stuff out.

Cheers!

#206 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

Any LoDO mumblings at Homebrew Con so far?

Nope. Haven't heard a word.

#207 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

Nope. Haven't heard a word.

Just that AHA dogma... Lol

#208 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:48 AM

Just that AHA dogma... Lol

So, I did end up getting a few questions about LODO. The general consensus is that until they actually post some proof, the methods they advocate are just more homebrew myth.

#209 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

For the 8 people that requested the brewtan, the samples are in the mail, you should be receiving them within a week depending how far you are from FL. 3lb of brewtan B came out $135, which is $10/100g. Shipping depended on location, but was under $14 either UPS ground or priority mail. I'll send PM's to everyone with their tracking numbers and the total.

Cheers!

Rich

#210 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

For the 8 people that requested the brewtan, the samples are in the mail, you should be receiving them within a week depending how far you are from FL. 3lb of brewtan B came out $135, which is $10/100g. Shipping depended on location, but was under $14 either UPS ground or priority mail. I'll send PM's to everyone with their tracking numbers and the total.

Cheers!

Rich

You're the man Rich. Thank you!

#211 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

Thanks Rich!

#212 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54127 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:13 AM

Rich, that was very cool of you. You are now the dealer source of this addictive necessary chemical ingredient. :P Seriously, can you guys keep me posted on the availability of this stuff in the US? I think I bought two 50g packages of it which means I have plenty. But I wouldn't say that I'm swimming in it and if it turns out that the batches I brew with the Brewtan B seem to have a certain positive character (low or lower oxidation, I assume), it could become one of those items that I wouldn't brew without and for it to be so unavailable at the moment, that could be a problem. How easy will it be to get some in say, 6 months?

#213 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

Best way to get it right now would be to get friendly with a commercial brewer with a WYeast account and have him buy it for you 1lb at a time.

#214 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54127 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

Best way to get it right now would be to get friendly with a commercial brewer with a WYeast account and have him buy it for you 1lb at a time.

Mmm, I know a few people I could lean on for that. I would assume that some US distributor would get on board eventually. It may be that it doesn't catch on in which case nobody will request it anyway. But if there is a vibe from homebrewers that the quality of the Brewtan beer is better because of lower-O2 pickup, I think someone in the US would begin selling it.

#215 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Rich! Appreciate the effort. I know it ain't fun shipping crap to a bunch of folks.

#216 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

Payment sent

#217 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:11 PM

Thanks Rich, I will also give some to Brauer to hear his thoughts.

#218 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

I'm doing what I can to bring Brewtan to the homebrew market.  After I check my test beers, and if they show what I anticipate, I'll start working with some of my wholesale contacts to get it into brew shops.

#219 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54127 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

I'm doing what I can to bring Brewtan to the homebrew market.  After I check my test beers, and if they show what I anticipate, I'll start working with some of my wholesale contacts to get it into brew shops.

Thanks Denny. I am really looking forward to trying some of these Brewtan beers. Two APAs and a Helles so far and very curious how they will be.

#220 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

What are you anticipating?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users