#41 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

*Golf Clap*Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome. I recognize many of the names here from over at the green board. I wasn't actively posting when the great schism occurred there but it's nice to see some familiar avatars and some respected opinions. My brew season is September to May so you guys will have to deal with my drivel for a while.

#42 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I recognize many of the names here from over at the green board. I wasn't actively posting when the great schism occurred there but it's nice to see some familiar avatars and some respected opinions. My brew season is September to May so you guys will have to deal with my drivel for a while.

I keep saying I'm gonna brew enough in your brew season to last me through the off season, butit never seems to work out that way. I am gonna give it the old college try again this year though. Happy brewing!

#43 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

I keep saying I'm gonna brew enough in your brew season to last me through the off season, butit never seems to work out that way. I am gonna give it the old college try again this year though. Happy brewing!

I cheated and brewed a hefe on July 3rd this year or I would have run out. I'm starting out with session beers for quick turnaround and then I'll go from there. Thankfully SWMBO likes beer and doesn't give me grief about my habit errrrr hobby.

#44 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

I cheated and brewed a hefe on July 3rd this year or I would have run out. I'm starting out with session beers for quick turnaround and then I'll go from there. Thankfully SWMBO likes beer and doesn't give me grief about my habit errrrr hobby.

If SWMBO likes beer then you might be alright smoothing over the hop purchase as well. Good Luck and welcome over to BB I reconginized your screenname from the place of green too. Enjoy the brew season.

#45 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

If SWMBO likes beer then you might be alright smoothing over the hop purchase as well. Good Luck and welcome over to BB I reconginized your screenname from the place of green too. Enjoy the brew season.

The only heck I will catch over the hops is the amount of freezer space they will consume. :P

#46 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

11 pounds - you're the man. Sounds like about what I did 10/07. Glad you found your way over here.

#47 *_Guest_Milf Man_*

*_Guest_Milf Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

Mr. Valentine says "buy!"Posted Image

:) :devil:

#48 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:28 AM

Tell her, it's like baseball cards.You HAVE to collect a pound of each!

#49 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

I was going to order some hops from my lhbs and he said he didn't sell by the pound any more so $8.95 for 2 oz. X 8 = $71.60 :cussing: . remembered this thread and ordered two pounds plus s&h for less then $20.00. thank you :angry:

#50 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64255 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

8.95 for 2 oz.? WTH?

#51 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:02 PM

8.95 for 2 oz.? WTH?

yes i know, that's the problem with mail order, either their grain is too high or hops too high or shipping is too high, easier to order from one place. but at least a new one opened this summer closer to me, i'll have to get a price list.

#52 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

I ordered 1 Lbs Mt Hood 1 Lbs Perle 1 Lbs Saaz 1 Lbs First Gold $46 US + $30 shipping to Canada Still less than 2.99 an OZ here placed order 4 days ago still waiting for it to be shipped :cussing:

#53 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

I ordered 1 Lbs Mt Hood 1 Lbs Perle 1 Lbs Saaz 1 Lbs First Gold $46 US + $30 shipping to Canada Still less than 2.99 an OZ here placed order 4 days ago still waiting for it to be shipped :cussing:

Sounds good. I read on there site a couple weeks that they are harvesting 2009 crop so please be patient. You will get your hops I am sure!!

#54 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

Sounds good. I read on there site a couple weeks that they are harvesting 2009 crop so please be patient. You will get your hops I am sure!!

Yeah Im not worried all my new equipment came in and the only hops I have on hand is EKG and Amarilloso SAT may be attempting a MLPA with some EKG instead of Mt Hood putting my new JSP malt mill to the test also 10 packs of us-05 arrived $2.15 per pack so i figured Id stock up :cussing:

#55 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

In the same boat. I ordered my hops 2 weeks ago and i did contact hopsdirect.com and they said that its the middle of harvest season and they were really busy. BUT, the day I contacted them about how slow the order was they did e-mail me back saying that it shipped out and apologized for the inconvenience. I say no worries...and the shipment will be here on Friday anyways! hopsdirect.com is an excelent website and I WILL order from them again in the future and also highly recommend them to anyone looking for the highest quality hops.Although, I wish I had the "problem" of being "stuck" with EKG's and Amarillo!

#56 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

Looks like Freshops is up too with some nice reasonable prices.

#57 Frogman

Frogman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

In the same boat. I ordered my hops 2 weeks ago and i did contact hopsdirect.com and they said that its the middle of harvest season and they were really busy. BUT, the day I contacted them about how slow the order was they did e-mail me back saying that it shipped out and apologized for the inconvenience. I say no worries...and the shipment will be here on Friday anyways! hopsdirect.com is an excelent website and I WILL order from them again in the future and also highly recommend them to anyone looking for the highest quality hops.Although, I wish I had the "problem" of being "stuck" with EKG's and Amarillo!

Same here it took 2 weeks and 1day before they mailed out my order. But I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

#58 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

I received my order today. Tomorrow is going to suck as I vacuum seal 11 pounds of hops in 2 ounce increments. :wub:

#59 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I received my order today. Tomorrow is going to suck as I vacuum seal 11 pounds of hops in 2 ounce increments. :unsure:

get your little lady in on the fun :blink: :wub:

#60 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

I received my order today. Tomorrow is going to suck as I vacuum seal 11 pounds of hops in 2 ounce increments. :wub:

FWIW, I dump mine in a tub, pick out the sticks and stems that can puncture the bag and then usually seal up a pound per bag. I leave a little extra bag length (using rolls). Then when I'm brewing, take what I need and reseal it - cutting off some of the bag if I used a lot, or not if it was an ounce or two. I've used whole hops that were 10 - 12 months old doing this and pellets that were over 2 years old. I think they held up great. Of course they were at 0 df in the freezer too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users