#21 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

I buy as needed from my LHBS, mainly because i live in an apartment and dont really have a place to store the grain in bulk. If i buy my grains a day or two ahead of time, my spare beer room starts to smell like a barn. How do you guys keep from your house reeking like a horse ranch?

#22 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

How do you guys keep from your house reeking like a horse ranch?

Here is an old pic of my original brewing setup in our previous house. The blue containers hold my grains. The guy I got them from had a friend who worked in pharmaceutical sales and they were used to ship drugs in. They seal up nicely.Man that picture brings back some memories....Posted Image

#23 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

Here is an old pic of my original brewing setup in our previous house. The blue containers hold my grains. The guy I got them from had a friend who worked in pharmaceutical sales and they were used to ship drugs in. They seal up nicely.Man that picture brings back some memories....Posted Image

Nice setup. I wish i had that kind of room. *heavy sigh*

#24 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

Nice setup. I wish i had that kind of room. *heavy sigh*

Yeah the house we have now has a den, laundry room and a 4th bedroom on the lower level, so I've lost some garage space compared to the old house. I sure could use it too.

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

I buy as needed from my LHBS, mainly because i live in an apartment and dont really have a place to store the grain in bulk. If i buy my grains a day or two ahead of time, my spare beer room starts to smell like a barn. How do you guys keep from your house reeking like a horse ranch?

A horse ranch? We're talking about plastic bags full of malted barley, right?

#26 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

A horse ranch? We're talking about plastic bags full of malted barley, right?

Horse ranch may not have been the best choice of words. I didnt mean that it would smell like manure. Maybe a barn or a feed store or a grain silo would have been a better analogy? Still not what i want my apartment to smell like.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:05 AM

Horse ranch may not have been the best choice of words. I didnt mean that it would smell like manure. Maybe a barn or a feed store or a grain silo would have been a better analogy? Still not what i want my apartment to smell like.

I keep all my specialty grains in air-tight containers. They hold about 5# and I have about 25-30 of them. Base grain is kept in the bag in a rubbermaid container until it is opened then I put them in vittle vaults made for dog food. I have no smell of grain or malt. My wife is down there plenty and has never made a comment,she does not like the grain smell so I am sure if there was an odor she would have mentioned it. Granted, it may be tough to have a big selection in an apartment with space tight but a bag of 2-row in some 5 gallon buckets should not smell at all.

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

Have 250+ lbs right now.

#29 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:32 AM

I've started buying my base malt from a local brewery, so now when I'm low I just drop an email. Right now though, I've probably got 50lbs of Pilsner, 50lbs of Pale, 10lbs of Munich, and another 30lbs of specialty malts. Here is a pic of my grain storage area:Posted Image

#30 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:22 AM

~200lb of base here (split between Pils, Golden promise, and American 2 row.....being from Wisconsin I prefer Briess <G>).....50 - 100lb of "specialty" including Munich and Wheat.....I would have room to store more, but don't seem to be able to allocate enough time to brewing to turn it over.....gotta work on that!!

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:38 AM

I've started buying my base malt from a local brewery, so now when I'm low I just drop an email. Right now though, I've probably got 50lbs of Pilsner, 50lbs of Pale, 10lbs of Munich, and another 30lbs of specialty malts. Here is a pic of my grain storage area:Posted Image

what are those fancy lids you are sporting on the orange buckets?

#32 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:43 AM

what are those fancy lids you are sporting on the orange buckets?

Nothing special, cheap home depot clear bucket lids (not totally clear though).

#33 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:49 AM

Nothing special, cheap home depot clear bucket lids (not totally clear though).

right now I'm using the orange lids but I can already see that these lids are going to eventually crack/rip. I don't think I've ever seen those semi-clear ones.

#34 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:33 AM

I use these for storing opened 55lb sacks of base malts:https://www.petsmart...oductId=3437187They are obviously not the cheapest alternative available, but they seal very well, provide a good base to stack containers of specialty grains upon, and have the advantage of wheels.....just roll them out to weigh and crush and roll them back out of the way when not in use.....works well given the fact that SWMBO still likes to park her vehicle in the brewery <G>!!

#35 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

You fellas keep a crap load of grain around the house! I wish I had the space to keep hundreds of #'s of grain. I only keep enough grain for about three batches out. So about 40 lbs. of base malt (2-row, pils) and 15 lbs. of specialty malt. I have a very similar setup to Given2fly. Works out great when you have everything organized on shelves and labeled!

#36 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:39 AM

You fellas keep a crap load of grain around the house! I wish I had the space to keep hundreds of #'s of grain. I only keep enough grain for about three batches out. So about 40 lbs. of base malt (2-row, pils) and 15 lbs. of specialty malt. I have a very similar setup to Given2fly. Works out great when you have everything organized on shelves and labeled!

I agree, I just pull down whatever specialty malt I need, measure it out and put it back on the shelf. The larger containers hold about 5 lbs and the smaller about 2.5lbs. The orange buckets hold probably 30-35lbs. Also very easy to see what malts I'm low on, so ordering is simple. No issues with freshness either, all of the containers are airtight and work well.

#37 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:39 AM

I was looking at my inventory list in ProMash. I didn't realize how many varieties of grain I have on hand. According to PM, I'm up to 33! :P

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:52 AM

I was looking at my inventory list in ProMash. I didn't realize how many varieties of grain I have on hand. According to PM, I'm up to 33! :P

Did Promash remind you that you need to order more cara-pils ..LOL :smilielol:

#39 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

Did Promash remind you that you need to order more cara-pils ..LOL :P

It will...in 2016.

#40 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

Very nice setup indeed. Looks like my LHBS grain room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users