#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

The Lawrence Brewers Guild had another pallet delivered today. Great bunch BTW, kind of my second HBC since I was around with the KCBM a long time ago.I'm too lazy to set up a poll today. How much base grain do you keep around and how much specialty grain?I was a little surprised today once I sorted stuff out.~ 500 # base (dammit should have ordered some Munich)~ 50 # specialtyI know that seems like a lot but I want to have stuff on hand to brew almost anything I want on short notice.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

I just picked up 25# of 2-row & Pils today and have another 30+ coming from an online order. I can't say how much I "keep around" because I'm always brewing with it. But when I see that I only have enough for my current batch (and maybe my next batch), I order another 30+ lbs of base malt. I have an unbelievable amount of specialty grains around... possibly close to what you have, but probably a little less. FWIW, I don't order full 50lb sacks of base malt.

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

I usually have enough for about the next batch or two, the most i have had is about 100# or so. I tallied up my usage last year(12 months to the day) about two weeks ago, and in my small operation i used just short of 400# . I was surprised by the amount. So yeah, i could use 500# a year i imagine.

#4 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

Currently... 50# german wheat, 30# german vienna, 30# german munich and 25# Golden Promise.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47968 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

Damn, DC.I just bought my supply today, so I have 100 lb of 2-row and 50 lbs of malted wheat. I also bought 15 lbs of specialties for quick brews. That should last me about 6 months, probably. I'll buy more specialties throughout the year.

#6 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

I buy all my grains for the year at once. This year I bought 385 pounds of base malt and 45 pounds of specialty malt. I may have a few pounds left at the end of my brew saeson, but it will be close.Mashman

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

I peaked out my grain supply recently, within the last few months I've had100# 2-row100# MO55# CaraPils (shipping mistake)40# Wheat40# Pils35# Crystal 6030# Munich15# Golden Promise15# Roasted Barley~35# other specialty grainsso , about 325# base grain, 140# specialty.

#8 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Well DJ, since I too got more grain in this buy (and Munich was the same damn thing I said when I was putting the new sacks away!) I am hovering around 400 base, and darn near 300 in specialty grains-- just can't say no to all those split buys!

#9 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

I like to keep about #200 of base on hand to work with. With the grain buy today I have more like #300. I've got a couple types of Pils, MO, pale and 2-row malts, wheat, vienna and munich. I don't use a lot of specialty malt at all but I probably have #40 of different stuff lying around. Have I mentioned today how much I love the LBG? :sarcasm:

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

About 400 of base grain and 100-125 of specialty grain. Like to be able to brew at any time I want without a trip to the store.

#11 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

We have no home brew store, but we are able to buy through a microbrewery at their prices. We usually make a purchase about 3 times a year. So with that said, right now I have about 350 lbs base malts and 100 of specialty.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

I try to keep as much base grains around as I can get. I never know when a Bulk Grain buy will go down with the homebrew club so when they do I stock up. Right now I have 125# Franco B Pils110# Best Malz Pils80# Best Malz Wheat80# Marris Otter50# Best Malz Munich30# Great Western 2 Row475# Base GrainsSpeciality grains maybe 20#. Planning a stock up on that as well. Wanna just hit up the LHBS for fresh yeast and some DME here or there.

#13 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

What I have now:sack of bohemian pils maltsack of maris otter20 lbs munich20 lbs viennaabout 40 lbs of various specialty grains. caramunich III, carafa II, pale chocolate, chocolate, black, roasted, simpsons dark crystal, weyermann caraaroma, special b, amber malt, brown malt, rye malt, etc.

#14 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:36 AM

I buy 100 pound of 2-row and 50# each of Rye and Wheat at a time. Also a lot of rice hauls. Seldom buy specialty grains any more.

#15 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

I'm in the same boat as Dj and Kansan......LBG has an offshoot thread for specialty grains when a pallet order is being placed. Then once a full bag of specialty is split in the offshoot thread which consists usually of 3-4 brewers, the sack is placed into the pallet order where its the responsibility of the brewers to gather money and weigh out their splits. So you can imagine how easy it is to get lots of specialties for darn near nothing...This saves so much time and effort for the head pallet guru. That and we have a unbelievable excel spreadsheet to work with....Ive sent that spread sheet to some of you guys...Fwiw....LBG has ordered at least 3 pallets this year so far. So there can be lots of trades going on too....

Edited by Blktre, 30 August 2009 - 11:09 AM.

#16 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

WOW! I live about 5 minutes away from my LHBS so I buy ingredients when I need them. I usually have less than ten lbs of anything at any given time! I can't believe you guys have hundreds of pounds just lying around! Although, last batch I did buy a sack of 2-row...It sure is nice having grain on hand....

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

I usually just buy one sack of bulk at a time... and when I start getting low I head in for another. Yes, it can be limiting in terms of style, but frankly I'm just brewing for me and can do most of what I want with 2 Row or MO. I buy all the specialty grains as needed from my LHBS. He's a cool dude so it keeps me going into his shop. Right now I probably have about 12 pounds of MO and a fresh 50 lb bag of Briess 2 Row. I do have some assorted specialty grains, but not a ton.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:06 PM

WOW! I live about 5 minutes away from my LHBS so I buy ingredients when I need them. I usually have less than ten lbs of anything at any given time! I can't believe you guys have hundreds of pounds just lying around! Although, last batch I did buy a sack of 2-row...It sure is nice having grain on hand....

I have an LHBS right in town, too, but I literally save 50% on base grains and more than 50% buying hops in bulk.

#19 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

I have an LHBS right in town, too, but I literally save 50% on base grains and more than 50% buying hops in bulk.

Thats why I stock up in the bulk grain buys here.Marris OtterLHBS $80.00 50lbsBulk Grain Buy $42.00 55lbsEnough said.

#20 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:23 PM

Day-umm. I feel inadequate. I buy a sack of base malt at the beginning of the year and stock up on specialty grains several times during the year as I plan out the beers I am going to make. At most I may have 55-60 lbs on hand at any given time. Usually much less than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users