positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:54 AM

Wait .. you use yeast?

i just like to dip the same wooden stick in the chilled wort every time.  it works so i don't see what the big deal is.

#22 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

Am I missing something that you long  time brewers already know.  Mr. Malty doesn't have how much DME to use in order to get a proper gravity for the starter.  Come back yeast calc.

#23 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:54 AM

i just like to dip the same wooden stick in the chilled wort every time.  it works so i don't see what the big deal is.

It's not a big deal.  It's still best practice to pitch the right amount of yeast, or a decent estimate if you can't count the cells.

From Kai's cell count data, I use my own analysis to estimate 130-150 billion cells produced per liter, on a stir plate, in addition to what you've pitched.  So, from a fresh vial, a 2 L starter should give you ~460-500 billion cells (150 growth x 2)+200 initial=500. From a half-dead (~2 months old) vial into 2L, you'd expect ~360-400 billion.  

That should give you numbers close to Kai's calculators, until you get down near or below a 1 L starter, where growth becomes constrained at typical pitch rates.

#24 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:00 AM

Am I missing something that you long  time brewers already know.  Mr. Malty doesn't have how much DME to use in order to get a proper gravity for the starter.  Come back yeast calc.

You want about a 1.036, or 9 Plato wort.  That's about 3.5 oz. or 100 g DME per liter.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

It's not a big deal.  It's still best practice to pitch the right amount of yeast, or a decent estimate if you can't count the cells.

From Kai's cell count data, I use my own analysis to estimate 130-150 billion cells produced per liter, on a stir plate, in addition to what you've pitched.  So, from a fresh vial, a 2 L starter should give you ~460-500 billion cells (150 growth x 2)+200 initial=500. From a half-dead (~2 months old) vial into 2L, you'd expect ~360-400 billion.  

That should give you numbers close to Kai's calculators, until you get down near or below a 1 L starter, where growth becomes constrained at typical pitch rates.

I'm still curious what the non-yeast-calculators do.  do they vary their yeast starter sizes based on volume and gravity?  if yes by how much?  do they factor in how much yeast they are starting with based on viablity?  yes these are all estimates but they'll get you closer to the mark than essentially doing no estimate at all.  brewers friend seems to have a reasonable calculator so for now I'm just going to use that until yeast calc comes back.

You want about a 1.036, or 9 Plato wort.  That's about 3.5 oz. or 100 g DME per liter.

i use 100g/L.  fortunately it's easy for me to remember.

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64171 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

My favorite feature of the yeast calculators is the built in correction for viability based on production date.  That single factor makes a huge difference in the final quantity of yeast you get from a given starter.  For example, Mr. Malty calculates that for a beer that requires 230BB cells it will take a 1.4L starter with a 1 month old yeast pack.  If the pack is two months old a 1.4L starter will only produce 188BB cells, if it's 3 months old it will be 142BB cells.

Whether or not the calculator gives you the "right" amount to pitch, the important thing is that they give you a solid reference point.

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

brewersfriend uses kai's calc. 

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

Never even noticed that because I always use .75 oz. of DME per cup of water.  That getys you around 1.035ish.  Then I make 2 qt. for a beer under 1.065 and 3 qt. for a beer over that.

#29 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16543 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

Experience over the years is how we learned to build starters to match OG, volume, and yeast age. I'm glad the calcs came out but since I had years of experience building starters before those calcs were available I have no reason to use them. Great tool tho. 

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

Experience over the years is how we learned to build starters to match OG, volume, and yeast age. I'm glad the calcs came out but since I had years of experience building starters before those calcs were available I have no reason to use them. Great tool tho. 

When I started making starters, there were no calculators to help you.  You simply judged by results.  After doing that for quite a few years, you kinda learn what you need.  I use a calculator sometimes, but my results aren't really any different from when I don't.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

perhaps a test is in order...

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

10 gallons of 1.067 OG wort, ale yeast

start with a 60 day old wyeast smack pack stored properly

make one 2L starter and split, half for keeping, half for another starter

make another starter with half of the first starter to pitch into 10 gallons of wort.

How big should the second 1.036 OG starter be?  no using a calculator or calculations.

I have a pretty good idea but that's only b/c I basically just went through a similar step up.  Ask me in a couple of months and I'd be going back to my notes to check which would take me about as long as it would to just let the calculator spit out an answer at me.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18083 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

perhaps a test is in order...

you have time for tests?

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

you have time for tests?

see following post.  only took me a minute to type out ;)

#35 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

10 gallons of 1.067 OG wort, ale yeast

start with a 60 day old wyeast smack pack stored properly

make one 2L starter and split, half for keeping, half for another starter

make another starter with half of the first starter to pitch into 10 gallons of wort.

How big should the second 1.036 OG starter be?  no using a calculator or calculations.

I have a pretty good idea but that's only b/c I basically just went through a similar step up.  Ask me in a couple of months and I'd be going back to my notes to check which would take me about as long as it would to just let the calculator spit out an answer at me.

3-4 qt. is what I'd do.  Probably closer to 3.

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64171 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Ask me in a couple of months and I'd be going back to my notes to check which would take me about as long as it would to just let the calculator spit out an answer at me.

Oh yeah.  Definitely don't expect me to remember anything I've done in the past. 

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

well i'd love to confirm how close you are to the calculator but it doesn't work here.

Spoiler

Edited by TheGuv, 27 January 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

okay - now it works.

Spoiler

#39 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64171 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

You forgot to put "overpitching" in quotes.  ;)

#40 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

okay - now it works.

Spoiler

Good to know what the calculators say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic