Photo
- - - - -

Glad I ditched the braid for a manifold.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

Whenever I hear of people having trouble with braids, I'm mystified. I think it must come down to what braid you get. I've used the same one for nearly 350 batches now and never even come close to having a problem with it.

#22 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

Yeah Denny, But you batch sparge :rolf:

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Yeah Denny, But you batch sparge :devil:

As do all brewers of taste and refinement.....:rolf:

#24 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

I have always used a copper manifold, but recently made a braid for a few batches. I wanted to try batch sparging, if for no other reason than the experience but also to maybe cut a little time from the brew day. I dont think I got my process down because my efficiencies were very inconsistent from batch to batch. Plus the mashes were sticking a bit too. So I wont say the braid was bad or that I will never use it again, but I havent made peace with it or the process yet.

#25 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

As do all brewers of taste and refinement.....:rolf:

Personally I dont care how the wort gets into the Kettle. As long as folks are brewing, that's the most important thing. One reason I fly sparge is because i need the space for grain in my MT, not sparge water. Ive always promoted manifolds is because they give you more flexibility if someone wants to do both sparge methods vs single braids which you can only batch with. I'm also one of the unlucky ones that has stuck braids. But Ive also stuck FB's. Ive never stuck a manifold. Other brewers they work fine for. Bottom line, get the wort in the Kettle and make some beer!

#26 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

Bottom line, get the wort in the Kettle and make some beer!

ABSOLUTELY!

#27 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:24 AM

manifolds rool, braids drool!!!

Here, drool over this:Posted Image1/2" SS spring solves all your problems, Clean up is a snap. It STAYS on the bottom and doesn't collapse.Three years later, 100+ batches and it STILL looks the same.

#28 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

I bet you get some channeling with the braid up against the walls if you fly sparge. Whats your eff if you do?

#29 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40973 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:29 AM

I bet you get some channeling with the braid up against the walls if you fly sparge. Whats your eff if you do?

Fly sparging is for suckers.

#30 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

I bet you get some channeling with the braid up against the walls if you fly sparge. ...

That's why I don't !

#31 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8262 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

Here, drool over this:Posted Image1/2" SS spring solves all your problems, Clean up is a snap. It STAYS on the bottom and doesn't collapse.Three years later, 100+ batches and it STILL looks the same.

My copper manifold doesn't collapse, cleans as easy as a braid, and looks shiny and new after every batch! No drooling necessary, shamwow sold separately :blush:

#32 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:30 AM

My copper manifold doesn't collapse, cleans as easy as a braid, and looks shiny and new after every batch! No drooling necessary, shamwow sold separately :)

I presume you didn't solder the joints so they just slide apart for cleaning?

#33 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

I presume you didn't solder the joints so they just slide apart for cleaning?

Mine are not soldered. But you could solder just a few pieces and still be able to take it apart.

#34 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

I've had my braid collapse a few times, but solve that issue by inserting a piece of siphon tubing that I drilled a bunch of holes in. Works perfectly now.

#35 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

manifolds rool, braids drool!!!

+1 on the cpvc manifold!

#36 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35403 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Is there any advantage to manifolds when doing batch sparging?I have been using a braid for years, and never had a problem with it (well, until this past weekend when it popped off the hose while scooping the grains out, but thats no concern).I use the plain old one-braid sticking through the cooler into the middle type thing. The only real issue I find is that it doesnt really stay on the bottom, but other than that???

#37 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40973 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

Is there any advantage to manifolds when doing batch sparging?I have been using a braid for years, and never had a problem with it (well, until this past weekend when it popped off the hose while scooping the grains out, but thats no concern).I use the plain old one-braid sticking through the cooler into the middle type thing. The only real issue I find is that it doesnt really stay on the bottom, but other than that???

I wonder the same thing. I use a setup just like you describe. I usually get near 80% efficiency. I have never had a stuck sparge. What is the problem with braids? I do think I might switch to a loop of braid with a spring in it. I like that idea.

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

I wonder the same thing. I use a setup just like you describe. I usually get near 80% efficiency. I have never had a stuck sparge. What is the problem with braids? I do think I might switch to a loop of braid with a spring in it. I like that idea.

Do you have a problem you're trying to solve? If not, why mess with success? :)

#39 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40973 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

Do you have a problem you're trying to solve? If not, why mess with success? :)

Not really a problem. But I do get frustrated with the braid "coming up" when I am stirring. And I stir the hell out of it after every water addition. I think the combination of the spring and the loop keeping the braid around the outsides of the tun, will keep me from disturbing it. I'm not in any hurry to do this. Maybe down the road someday, I will build a new tun and use it then.

#40 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

I've never had an issue with my SS braid collapsing (so maybe it is the type of braid that some people are using). I've used both a manifold and a braid set-up and never really found one superior to the other. When I used a manifold, I found it to be a pain in the ass to take a part and clean, which is why I went to the braid (simple spray of the hose). I usually get 77-80% efficiency with each session. Here is my braid in my igloo tun:Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users