Photo
- - - - -

Glad I ditched the braid for a manifold.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

I was worried about it though when I started today because I really didnt get too fancy with it. It just makes a single loop inside my tun about 10 inches long by about 3 inches wide out of 1/2 inch cpvc. It worked like a charm though, sparge didnt stick at all, wort just flowed out of it effortlessly. Hit all my gravities spot on, collected more than enough for a full boil, in fact I got about 5.5 gallons in my fermentor and still had a little in the kettle when I was done.

#2 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

Why did you change?

#3 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

Why did you change?

The braid was constantly getting clogged and cunked up. It was a pain.

#4 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

I'm pleased in the reverse. I "lost" my copper manifold when I dumped my grains and forgot to retrieve it before trash pick up. The next weekend I went down to Home Depot picked up a hot water heater hose, stripped the rubber and had a braid that took me 1/8th the time to make and works great.

#5 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

I, too, went from manifold to braid ..Fly sparged today for the first time with it and even though I increased my crappy efficiency a bit ( an ongoing problem) I could tell it was leaving pockets of unrinsed grains in a few spots..Prolly going back to the manifold or just batch sparge with it :)

#6 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

I've always batch sparged and the manifold just made it even better. All my beers come out good. I dont know anything about figuring efficiency but as long as I hit all my target numbers I figure I'm doing something right.

#7 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

I, too, went from manifold to braid ..Fly sparged today for the first time with it and even though I increased my crappy efficiency a bit ( an ongoing problem) I could tell it was leaving pockets of unrinsed grains in a few spots..Prolly going back to the manifold or just batch sparge with it :)

We have differing results, perhaps because I batch sparge. My braid takes up much less room in the cooler thus leaving more room for me to stir and recirculate more effectively. Systems/techniques differ but I stand by my braid.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

manifolds rool, braids drool!!!

#9 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

* high fives Brian

#10 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87573 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

The braid was constantly getting clogged and cunked up. It was a pain.

i did this as well about three weeks back (I went from a braid to a bazooka screen)... cut about 30-45 mins out of my brew day... my run offs only take a few minutes now instead of nearly an hour... money well spent...

#11 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

i did this as well about three weeks back (I went from a braid to a bazooka screen)... cut about 30-45 mins out of my brew day... my run offs only take a few minutes now instead of nearly an hour... money well spent...

I know, right? My manifold only cost me a couple bucks because I already had most of the stuff in my tool area. Before with the braid I'd have to stir that crpa out of it to get anything, but this baby flows like a river. I'll have to take pics and post it. Its actually a very simple build and well worth it.

#12 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87573 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

I know, right? My manifold only cost me a couple bucks because I already had most of the stuff in my tool area. Before with the braid I'd have to stir that crpa out of it to get anything, but this baby flows like a river. I'll have to take pics and post it. Its actually a very simple build and well worth it.

thursday night I brewed after work and didn't even get in a hurry and was done before bedtime... unreal... from grain weighing, crushing, heating strike/sparge water, boil, and clean up and I was done before 10p and I didn't get started until almost 530p... it was awesome... usually my after work brew days last til nearly midnight...

#13 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

The only time i had a problem with my braid was because it had collapsed and kinked up on itself from me stirring and mashing my grainbed. Now every few batches i dismantle and run the end of a wooden spoon up on there and stretch it all back out. Works like a charm again.

#14 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

My problem with the braid and fly sparging is the braid doesn't conform ( is that the word I'm looking for? ) to the shape of my MT so it draws the run-off through the grainbed kind of unevenly...

#15 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8262 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

My problem with the braid and fly sparging is the braid doesn't conform ( is that the word I'm looking for? ) to the shape of my MT so it draws the run-off through the grainbed kind of unevenly...

This was my problem when I was tinkering with different ss screen setups. Fly sparging simply will not work. John Palmer's article on MT geometry is sound and the advice to start out with a copper manifold would have saved me time, frustration, and money. Plus, you can batch, fly or in-between sparge without having to change out any pieces of hardware.

#16 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

This was my problem when I was tinkering with different ss screen setups. Fly sparging simply will not work. John Palmer's article on MT geometry is sound and the advice to start out with a copper manifold would have saved me time, frustration, and money. Plus, you can batch, fly or in-between sparge without having to change out any pieces of hardware.

Yeah...I think I'll build a manifold that fits the geometry of my MT...My last one was round for my round Igloo and worked perfect.Also thinking of making one to drip spargewater on top of my grainbed .... CPVC maybe?I'd like to be able to just crack open the valves on the HLT and MT and do a nice slow run-off while not having to monitor it too closely......

#17 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

Yeah, Flatch sparging....... :smilielol: Palmer's design advice and switching to a Cu manifold have really made my brewdays much better. I continually ran into problems with a braid......

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

thursday night I brewed after work and didn't even get in a hurry and was done before bedtime... unreal... from grain weighing, crushing, heating strike/sparge water, boil, and clean up and I was done before 10p and I didn't get started until almost 530p... it was awesome... usually my after work brew days last til nearly midnight...

that's a smooth brewday wonder if it has anything to do with your brain just stayin in normal efficient work mode, and not saturday morning , whatever mode?

#19 HoppingFrog Brewing

HoppingFrog Brewing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNewport, WA

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

I started with a manifold , Then I thought I would be cool and made a braid used it 1 time , through it out. The manifold I had used for 15 years still works and has never pluged and I roll the hell out of my grain and often use 5 lbs of oats in a 10 gal batch. My stout has 28% 6 row malt to increas enzimes as 2 row had bad conversion results. This stout has multaple awards. The last stout i made had 8lbs chocolate malt8 lbs 6 row malt3 bs oats40IBU5.6%ALCTurned out spectacular. Think bazar think big.

#20 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

Yeah...I think I'll build a manifold that fits the geometry of my MT...My last one was round for my round Igloo and worked perfect.Also thinking of making one to drip spargewater on top of my grainbed .... CPVC maybe?I'd like to be able to just crack open the valves on the HLT and MT and do a nice slow run-off while not having to monitor it too closely......

That's exactly what I just did Bitter D. Used it for the 1st time yesterday and it was flippin' great. :rolf: I just matched the output of the HLT to the output of the MLT, drank a hb & weighed out my hops. I took my time building my manifolds but it was well worth it. I always pitch a couple of handfulls of rice hulls into every mash, cheap insurance IMO. If I could find my braid I'd toss it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users