#21 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:17 AM

This is for a brewpub, right? IMO, if you don't already have a blonde ale, you need one. Not Belgian blonde, IMO, the funk can turn people off. You're looking for a beer for the "partners" to drink. That is, somebody came to the pub on purpose because they like your beers. Odds are, they brought a partner along that may not be as beer-savvy. The blonde is for those folks. American wheat is a possible substitution for this role as well.

#22 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:32 AM

This is for a brewpub, right? IMO, if you don't already have a blonde ale, you need one. Not Belgian blonde, IMO, the funk can turn people off. You're looking for a beer for the "partners" to drink. That is, somebody came to the pub on purpose because they like your beers. Odds are, they brought a partner along that may not be as beer-savvy. The blonde is for those folks. American wheat is a possible substitution for this role as well.

I guess this is why almost every brewpub has either a blond, hef, golder lager, or some combination of these.

#23 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29327 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:03 AM

+1 (my only concern with the wheat is the cloudiness, but it has more cross over appeal.)At a lot of brewpubs the blonde ale, light lager is the top selling or one of the top selling beers. The lager ties up tank space but both of them are inexpensive from an ingredient point of view, and because of the lower alcohol people tend to drink more. Assuming you sell you beers at the same price point this could be good for profits.I don't know you house yeast but I would go with a simple american blonde. I understand you use undersized equipment if you have the fermentation space it might be worth your while brew high gravity and dillute in the fermenter. Ferment cool to keep the esters out of it.In my opinion brewing a light lager ties up the tank space longer than it is worth, the people drinking the American light lager would just as well drink the blonde.A brewpub that I go to their light lager is their top selling beer followed by their IPA. They do have a small selection of bottled BMC, (Bud, Mich ultra, and I think landshark). It is not on the menu and not advertised. The staff sells their own beer first, if people insist on one of the others they get a sampler of the light lager along with the BMC. They sell less than 2 cases a week. We are in a similar, although not to the degree of St L, with having a AB brewery in town there is some loyalty. The concept of a brewpub is not as foreign to people any more, so even BMC drinkers go with the when in Rome point of view, and are willing to drink something close to the style, when in the brewpub setting.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

In my opinion brewing a light lager ties up the tank space longer than it is worth, the people drinking the American light lager would just as well drink the blonde.

This is def true - your average beer drinker doesn't even know the difference between ale and lager, nevermind the fact that they won't be able to taste the difference.

#25 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

I agree. I would even throw a cream ale on the possible list. I have found that a well-made cream ales is one of the best "gateway beers" you can make.

#26 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

What is your current beer menu?

#27 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

If you look at his sig I think you might get a good idea of what he is doing there. My opinion is that STL has plenty of light beer of the ordinary variety - do something different with the light beer if the powers that be will let you.

#28 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

These are the usual beers and sometimes something special

#29 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

What's the motivation for brewing a light beer and what does light mean to the boss? Color? Taste? Calories? ABV?

+100 Make sure you and your boss are on the same page in terms of what is meant by "Lite Beer". Set aside a half hour or so to rationally explain your concerns. Let him know that any attempt to brew a "Bud Lite" type beer would likely fall flat (no pun intended) in the eyes of the drinkers. Let him know what the alternatives are that you CAN brew that would be appealing to the target audience. Plenty of great suggestions here. I myself am in the middle of a primary ferment of my NFP Cream Ale No. 2. My wife tells me last night she wants to throw a party, so I say "well, I'll have to make another batch of beer because that's only 2 cases worth". She say's "OK". I'll likely do the same thing because, while I do like Cream Ale, I don't want to offend the palates of our guests. Sit down with your boss for a few minutes and discuss the options without compromising your integrity (and I mean that in terms of what you can brew, not how you go about talking with your boss). Best I got for ya.

#30 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

Well, then I take back what I said before. Looks like you have all the "newbie" bases covered with the cream ale and wit. (That looks like an outstanding menu, BTW.) I'm a bit confused about what the boss wants. I'd guess you'll have to have a longer talk with him. If it's just low calorie, I think his expectations might be a bit unrealistic.

#31 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

How about a lower gravity version of the cream ale? It is already light in color and flavor. Drop the ABV and calories and you have your light beer.

#32 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8906 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

Ditto. You don't even have to brew anything new, just cut the 1984 Golden Ale with water. Adding 15% water would give you 20 IBU and 4% alcohol. It's on the high end of the IBU scale for a 'Lite', so you might try adding some sugar to balance it (not to the recipe, to the serving tank). Or maybe some Lime flavor...

#33 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:27 PM

Or maybe some Lime flavor...

Ouch. Oh no you didn't. :)If boss means light as in calories, maybe a brittish mild or 60/- with the pitch of "who says a light beer needs to be thin and dull".

#34 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Ouch. Oh no you didn't. :)If boss means light as in calories, maybe a brittish mild or 60/- with the pitch of "who says a light beer needs to be thin and dull".

If the boss is trying to target the people I think he is this won't work. Too much color scares the unwashed masses :smilielol:

#35 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8906 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that 4 parts Golded Ale + 1 part Lime flavored Club Soda = Win for the light beer crowd. Mix up a keg and see how it goes.

#36 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:37 AM

Why not try making a beer from the second runnings of your Imperial Czech Pilsner? Make a small beer. It would be light and dry.

#37 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

Thought I would give you guys some idea of what I meant by "sometimes something special" From STLhops.com.........08/19/09 Mattingly Peek-a-Brew Line UpAugust 19, 2009 Beer News 2 Comments The Mattingly Brewing Company may now be producing full scale productions of beer, but that doesn’t stop them from showing off what’s yet to come.Tonight, Head Brewer Drew Huerter will be offering his Cranberry Witbier.Here’s a list of what to expect over the next few weeks:8/19 Cranberry Witbier8/26 Papaya Witbier9/2 Date Dubbel9/9 Sour Cherry Dubbel9/12 Biere From Mars *Special Saturday Peek* Biere de Mars with Brettanomyces wild yeast9/16 Sour Cherry Stout Porter9/30 Brandy Oak Stout Porter

#38 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

Papaya Wit? That sounds amazing! Mattingly doesn't bottle do they?

#39 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

Papaya Wit? That sounds amazing! Mattingly doesn't bottle do they?

Nah, corner neighborhood brewpub. Taps only, growlers sometimes I think.Can't imagine where he gets off doing something like that........ :mellow:

#40 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:43 PM

Kolsch.BrewBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users