#1 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

The prospect of brewing a 'Light' beer was brought up at work today (MBC). Needless to say I was about the width of nitrogen atom from going more destructively insane than the cavalry charging down the hill at daybreak at the end of The Two Towers.Now that I've calmed down and realized that while I could bring that kind of wrath, it would make the teacher from that "Spirituality of Nonviolence" class that I took very sad, so instead of action, it will come to words.I need some ammunition for this discussion, and I turn to you in my hour of need. Stats, stories, anything...Time for a '07 Bigfoot to calm my nerves...Maybe an '07 Schlafly Irish Extra Stout, too.

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

I personally beleive the 'light beer' in most people's mind is one that mainly is light in color, and can be quaffed easily. I would recommend you make a lighter alcohol brew, with tasty homebrew hops and blow there freeking minds. Just a thought. Think low bitterness, and lots of aroma hops . :smilielol:

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

Simple, tell them no.Actually the Cream Ale probably is close.And, it's much more likely to end up dumping a batch attempting to do something AB does with exponentially better equipment - or end up serving poorly made beer and destroying their rep, which is the only thing bringing in customers. They would be better off just buying a keg if they're determined to serve it.But in the end, NO

Edited by dj in kc, 10 August 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#4 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

I say brew something like a Helles or a Dortmunder. Or a BoPis.

#5 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

Would they be paying you to brew this light beer?

#6 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

Yes, I would be paid, like always.I have a 'light' beer like the one you describe, Kegdude. Its a 3.7% ABV 20 IBU Ordinary Bitter, fermented at 70 degrees with my house yeast for a good dose of fruitiness and dry hopped with Styrian and Kent Goldings. It kicks arse.

#7 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

I'd say, brew the best damn light beer you can, and make the man writing the paychecks happy.

#8 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

Drew - let me know when it's ready down at MBC. I'll swing on down for a taste. You won't go all AB on us will you?!?! Kidding...of course!

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

Make a helles bock. :smilielol: I'll send you my recipe if you want.

#10 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26194 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

Have you thought about a well constructed mild or a Belgian single? You could drive down the calorie count to around 170/beer and not compromise a damn thing.

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

I say brew up a Belgian Blonde Ale. I just brewed one and drinking the first sips tonight. Its got Alcohol and a nice finish, light on the hops and high on flavor WLP550, can share the recipe with you as well. I think it taste light but has a good dose of alcohol not in flavor but in % due to the yeast chomping it down to around 1.006. Otherwise I agree brew up a kicking light beer like the good ones it sounds you are brewing otherwise and collect your paycheck from the man.

#12 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8906 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

I was also thinking along the lines of a Belgian blonde ale. I made a great one that was 84% Pils, 4% wheat malt, and 12% sugar to an OG of 1.068, fermented with T58 at 72F. The esters were there, but not strong at all. It was very light, and very tasty. At about 7% alcohol, it was also way too easy to drink. You could do the same thing with a lower OG, but you'd need to add some carapils or do something to keep it from getting too thin.

#13 Sharkman

Sharkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

Free advice is worth what you pay for. That said:WHY? If someone wants a "light beer", they want a BMC. ANYTHING you brew along those lines will not taste EXACTLY like the BMC beer they are looking for and they will be disappointed. Does you boss want disappointed customers? If they want to serve a "light beer", buy a macro brand and put it on tap. Save you talent, fermenter space, Bright tanks, etc. for a beer that is distinctive to THEM.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

I suspect the owner there wants what the public expects for a "light beer". No taste, no carbs and of course no hops can be put in that. He knows how to make some great low alcohol beers. I've been surprised with what he has done. To try to make the masses light beer there is a waste of time and a good chance to drive away paying customers.Sure, I guess you could promote Helles or Berliner light, but lets be honest with the St. Louis customers..........Edit: my wife was yacking at me during the typing.Some of the Belgian suggestions were good too. But...I know this little corner brewpub as good as anyone in STL. If there is any demand, which I doubt, for "lite beer" they should just serve commercial stuff for that limited crowd. The only reason the place has had any success is because Drew is brewing there. This isn't proud dad stuff, even the local press agrees. There are very few brewers in STL that could produce quality brews with the makeshift equipment there and most would not have bothered . He's making his mark in the pro field there and now would be a bad time to dumb down a beer because an owner that means well still doesn't quite get it just yet. I think it would be a bad business decision.Sorry for the run on sentences...............

Edited by dj in kc, 10 August 2009 - 07:58 PM.

#15 brewskee

brewskee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

Helles. Plain and simple. I just got a Helles keg for a crowd that normally makes statements like "no way man, bud light is better than coors light". :smilielol:

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

Call it "Canoe Sex Light".

#17 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

Call it "Canoe Sex Light".

190 calories but you'll burn it off later..........

#18 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

I suspect the owner there wants what the public expects for a "light beer". No taste, no carbs and of course no hops can be put in that. He knows how to make some great low alcohol beers. I've been surprised with what he has done. To try to make the masses light beer there is a waste of time and a good chance to drive away paying customers.Sure, I guess you could promote Helles or Berliner light, but lets be honest with the St. Louis customers..........Edit: my wife was yacking at me during the typing.Some of the Belgian suggestions were good too. But...I know this little corner brewpub as good as anyone in STL. If there is any demand, which I doubt, for "lite beer" they should just serve commercial stuff for that limited crowd. The only reason the place has had any success is because Drew is brewing there. This isn't proud dad stuff, even the local press agrees. There are very few brewers in STL that could produce quality brews with the makeshift equipment there and most would not have bothered . He's making his mark in the pro field there and now would be a bad time to dumb down a beer because an owner that means well still doesn't quite get it just yet. I think it would be a bad business decision.Sorry for the run on sentences...............

Thanks, you summarized several of my thoughts and I didn't have to type them out.Owners see the numbers, their distributors see the numbers.... BMC sells. Even if they love the craft beer movement, they wish they were a BMC brewery and selling like BMC. You can try your own american light lager. You will probably have more success creating a classic style like a Helles or Pils. But I think most up-and-coming breweries will eventually give up on the light craft beer idea once they realize it's a futile endeavor

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

The prospect of brewing a 'Light' beer was brought up at work today (MBC). Needless to say I was about the width of nitrogen atom from going more destructively insane than the cavalry charging down the hill at daybreak at the end of The Two Towers.Now that I've calmed down and realized that while I could bring that kind of wrath, it would make the teacher from that "Spirituality of Nonviolence" class that I took very sad, so instead of action, it will come to words.I need some ammunition for this discussion, and I turn to you in my hour of need. Stats, stories, anything...Time for a '07 Bigfoot to calm my nerves...Maybe an '07 Schlafly Irish Extra Stout, too.

What's the motivation for brewing a light beer and what does light mean to the boss? Color? Taste? Calories? ABV?

#20 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:35 AM

Get a bottle of Morehouse's Black Cat and plunk it down in front of them.Say "You mean lite like this? 3.4% ABV!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users