Photo
- - - - -

Can Someone Teach Me About Pale Ales and IPAs?

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#201 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

If pellets are a bad wY to dry hop, theRogue and a lot of other breweries are doing it wrong. I dunno about all this dogma...use pellets, don't use pellets....don't dry hop fr long, long dry hop times are OK. I have to say that I generally dry hop for months in the leg and don't notice anything wrong with it. I use pellets or whole hops, whichever are freshest. I say, don't make rules....try a technique and see what happens. Pay attention to your materials and procedures. Make no assumptions.

#202 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

If pellets are a bad wY to dry hop, theRogue and a lot of other breweries are doing it wrong. I dunno about all this dogma...use pellets, don't use pellets....don't dry hop fr long, long dry hop times are OK. I have to say that I generally dry hop for months in the leg and don't notice anything wrong with it. I use pellets or whole hops, whichever are freshest. I say, don't make rules....try a technique and see what happens. Pay attention to your materials and procedures. Make no assumptions.

Posted Image

#203 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

Posted Image

this cracks me up for some reason.

#204 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16769 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

...don't make rules...

Wise advice and should be applied well beyond the homebrewing world.

#205 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Lots of major breweries use pellets and even hop extract!  Shhhhh

Got it bottled and it smelled a-freaking-mazing.  I'm ready for this bad boy to carb up and let me sample some!  Should be around 4.5-4-8%  I didn't take an exact reading as I'm not too worried about it.

#206 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Good news.  The APA is amazing!  Such a good aroma and light body flavor!  I really really like this one a lot  I will brew more next time.  Now to try a Black IPA.

#207 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Now to try a Black IPA.

The Shed - Darkside. Can't recommend it enough.

#208 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18089 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

The Shed - Darkside. Can't recommend it enough.

From Mitch's book?

#209 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yes, from Mitch's book.

#210 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49874 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Good news.  The APA is amazing!  Such a good aroma and light body flavor!  I really really like this one a lot  I will brew more next time.  Now to try a Black IPA.

Body and flavor are different, but I am glad the beer turned out well!

Also, reading this thread has me really like this  :covreyes:   All this n=1 stuff is driving me up a wall.  Let's try to pay attention to the research being done instead of throwing out all these theories which have almost no backing.  Not to say that people's experience isn't worth a damn, it is just that there are so many variables and we as homebrewers are not exactly setting up double blind type laboratory studies.  Now of course the "but but but...." crowd will say that if we aren't brewing that way then it doesn't matter.  Alright, cool.  Have it your way.  I just think that if we are trying to brew the best beer we can, we should at least pay attention to those who are studying it on an academic level as opposed to assuming that the one or two times you tried something proves your baseless theory.  

I hope that doesn't come across as insulting, as I don't mean it to be.  

#211 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16769 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Also, reading this thread has me really like this  :covreyes:   All this n=1 stuff is driving me up a wall.  Let's try to pay attention to the research being done instead of throwing out all these theories which have almost no backing.  Not to say that people's experience isn't worth a damn, it is just that there are so many variables and we as homebrewers are not exactly setting up double blind type laboratory studies.  Now of course the "but but but...." crowd will say that if we aren't brewing that way then it doesn't matter.  Alright, cool.  Have it your way.  I just think that if we are trying to brew the best beer we can, we should at least pay attention to those who are studying it on an academic level as opposed to assuming that the one or two times you tried something proves your baseless theory.  

I agree. So clarify for us which theories, proposed in this thread, were thrown out there with no backing.

#212 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49874 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

Whiskey fueled ranting  :blush:

#213 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Which is why a large portion of the book I'm working on is about blind triangle tasting and evaluation.

#214 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Whiskey fueled ranting :blush:

I'd also be curious which theories set off the rant.

#215 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49874 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

A lot of the pellet vs whole hops I think.  I really think that any of us would have a hard time telling identical beers other than type of hop processing.  Perhaps other things too, its a long thread.

#216 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

A lot of the pellet vs whole hops I think.  I really think that any of us would have a hard time telling identical beers other than type of hop processing. 

I can agree with that, but then the beers that I make don't usually call for much dry hopping, so I can't speak to that.  Mostly, I like some whole hops as a filter bed.

#217 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

What I meant by light body flavor is that it has a light body with lots of flavor.  Didn't mean to relate the two as in the same thing.

#218 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Which is why a large portion of the book I'm working on is about blind triangle tasting and evaluation.

That is fascinating, and quite possibly the only way to get to a scientific answer to a highly subjective question.....IMHO, only if tasters can reliably tell which sample is "different" can they begin to posit on which is "better" and why.....

Are you using a triangle test followed by two paired blind tests?  Triangle test to determine if a difference between two samples is generally perceptible, and then paired blind testing to determine if taste "preferences" are consistent??

Sorry to derail.....but this is fascinating to me, and thinking this way is part of the reason that I take competitions with a grain of salt.

#219 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

That is fascinating, and quite possibly the only way to get to a scientific answer to a highly subjective question.....IMHO, only if tasters can reliably tell which sample is "different" can they begin to posit on which is "better" and why.....

Are you using a triangle test followed by two paired blind tests?  Triangle test to determine if a difference between two samples is generally perceptible, and then paired blind testing to determine if taste "preferences" are consistent??

Sorry to derail.....but this is fascinating to me, and thinking this way is part of the reason that I take competitions with a grain of salt.

No, I haven't done that, but I mat have to try it.

#220 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Preach it brother!

MolBasser

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users