• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 brewskee

brewskee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

So a buddy of mine works at the distro center outside of Lawrence, and was telling me some horror stories about how this place is run. For starters, NO overtime even though he works OVER 40 hours a week. Second, the plant owner is part of Budweiser's "cost-efficiency" crew, and he fired over half the staff upon taking over the plant! What's worse, as part of their "cost-reduction", he decided to strip the truck drivers of their company provided cell phones and forced them to use THEIR OWN PHONES to talk to customers (consequently all of the managers use iPhones now). Man, what a great company to work for! :)

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

Henceforth, as a show of protest, I will buy no Anheuser-Busch products.... uhh, I mean I will continue to buy no Anheuser-Busch products...

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

Henceforth, as a show of protest, I will buy no Anheuser-Busch products.... uhh, I mean I will continue to buy no Anheuser-Busch products...

+1Well, they never had my market share, so they certainly won't be gaining it now.Any idea if this is a result of the Euro's taking over?

#4 brewskee

brewskee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

+1Well, they never had my market share, so they certainly won't be gaining it now.Any idea if this is a result of the Euro's taking over?

I'm not totally sure, but I suspect it's always been like this... :)

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64145 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

When I worked there, almost 10 years ago now, they were super generous witht heir employees. The brewery in NH opened in '67, I believe, so guys who started then were due for full pension in '02. Pretty much the entire union crew was retiring in '02, because no one ever left after they got hired.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

+1

#7 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29327 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

So a buddy of mine works at the distro center outside of Lawrence, and was telling me some horror stories about how this place is run. For starters, NO overtime even though he works OVER 40 hours a week. Second, the plant owner is part of Budweiser's "cost-efficiency" crew, and he fired over half the staff upon taking over the plant! What's worse, as part of their "cost-reduction", he decided to strip the truck drivers of their company provided cell phones and forced them to use THEIR OWN PHONES to talk to customers (consequently all of the managers use iPhones now). Man, what a great company to work for! :)

I assumed that AB employees are union? If they are the union would have negotiated no overtime (deems like there are also federal laws for hourly employees). The union should have been putting up a fight if they are firing people w/o cause. As far as using their own phones are they re-imbursed? I had a job where I had to use my own phone but I got re-imbursed.

#8 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

This all seems like more of a problem with the employee's inability to tell them that they are not going to work over 40 hours if they aren't going to get paid for it. If they force you to work over 40 hours, and you are strictly an hourly employee that might also be illegal and might be a cause of action. As for the cell phones, it is an easy remedy: "I don't have a cell phone" will take care of that expectation. Or just be a man and say that you are not willing to use your personal cell phone and service for the company without appropriate reimbursement.Too many people don't have the balls to communicate with their employers out of fear for losing their jobs. But at some point you have to stand up for what is right and not get taken advantage of. If my boss came to me and said that they expect me to work overtime and not compensate me for it, my response would be "Then you should not expect that of me". I don't work for free, and it is insulting to me for it to be expected. My real life is worth more than that to me.

#9 *_Guest_frankerector_*

*_Guest_frankerector_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

I have been a union man for a real long time. If the brewery is not union, even the people that put money into AB should boycott it. If all of the US were union I don't think we as a country would be in this state right now. Also, no, thats another thread. NIA..... You figure it out!

#10 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

Unless your salaried, US labor laws dictate that you get overtime. It would be illegal for them not to pay it.The Brazilian/Belgian owners of InBev are notorious for cost cutting, but I couldn't imagine that they would violate labor laws.BrewBasser

#11 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

well this just make me feel even better about the fact that i have not bought any BMC for over 2 years now....

#12 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

well this just make me feel even better about the fact that i have not bought any BMC for over 2 years now....

Awesome. I haven't bought any in over 10. I would rather not drink. But I'm just a beer snob like that though. :)

#13 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

Awesome. I haven't bought any in over 10. I would rather not drink. But I'm just a beer snob like that though. :)

ya well I haven only realized what real beer is in the last 2 years. lol im only 23.. so im sure 8 years down the road ill be able to say 10 :-) woot woot :cheers:

#14 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

ya well I haven only realized what real beer is in the last 2 years. lol im only 23.. so im sure 8 years down the road ill be able to say 10 :-) woot woot :cheers:

Whoa, people can almost tell my age based on my beer buying habits. Freaky :)

#15 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

Whoa, people can almost tell my age based on my beer buying habits. Freaky :)

34?

#16 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

34?

Lucky for you I included the word 'Almost'. :) 36

#17 brewskee

brewskee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:14 PM

Unless your salaried, US labor laws dictate that you get overtime. It would be illegal for them not to pay it.The Brazilian/Belgian owners of InBev are notorious for cost cutting, but I couldn't imagine that they would violate labor laws.BrewBasser

That's the catch, he is on salary but I thought you still got it? :)

#18 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:32 PM

That's the catch, he is on salary but I thought you still got it? :)

Salaried FTE's are not required to be paid overtime ... my union has made it so I get the OT though :cheers:

Edited by ewanzel, 05 August 2009 - 06:33 PM.

#19 brewskee

brewskee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

Salaried FTE's are not required to be paid overtime ... my union has made it so I get the OT though :)

I forgot to add they don't give ANY free product to employees. Personally, I think it's a piss-poor way to run a business, but then again we are talking the biggest shitty beer maker in the world...

#20 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

the key part of this is that it is a distributer they work for, nor ambev a-b, big difference, distributerships are given out like patranige jobs, and they treat their drivers like sub contracters, if beer expires on the grocers shelf the driver pays for it. however long it takes to make their rounds is the drivers problem, their paid on a commision, at least wise that's the way it is here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users