106 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

Sounds like you guys have your mind set on a cherry mel. I did one last year that I really like but I still have plenty left. If this were to go another direction I'd love to try a dry or semi-dry traditional or something like Oskaars "You Bleu My Berries" Melomel if you are familiar with it.

#22 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Added to my "to resolve" list.

No worries. I wasn't sure if it was a board problem or if I was DIW.

#23 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sounds like you guys have your mind set on a cherry mel. I did one last year that I really like but I still have plenty left. If this were to go another direction I'd love to try a dry or semi-dry traditional or something like Oskaars "You Bleu My Berries" Melomel if you are familiar with it.

I'm listening...

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'm listening...

Well in terms of a traditional I was thinking a high quality varietal honey fermented on oak (cubes in primary, probably french) and a yeast that provides a nice mouthfeel. (CY3079, D47) Aim for ~1.006-1.010 morebeer's description of CY3079...

[color=rgb(0,0,0);][font="Arial;"][/color][/font]

Burgundy isolate for barrel fermentation of Chardonnay. Short lag time, alcohol tolerant to 15% and optimum expression at 59 to 77 degrees F. Somewhat nutrient sensitive, it can be slow to finish in low nutrient wines if not fed correctly. But it is worth making the effort: pineapple and floral notes are quickly joined by the development of fresh butter, toasted bread, honey, hazelnut and almond when aged on the lees. This along with contributing a rich and full mouthfeel. CY3079 is lovely as is for that "classic" white Burgundy, or it can serve as a great foundation for a blend.

"You Bleu My Berries" Melomel is a Patron's only recipe from Gotmead and so I'm not sure if its kosher to post it here in detail. In basic form it is equal #'s honey and blueberries and a small amount of berry juice fermented with RC212 down to 1.020-1.030 oaked in secondary if I remember. Just some ideas.

Edited by ettels4, 29 May 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#25 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Blueberry crop is just coming into season here and I can go pick all I want.  I'm thinking about the deep blue braggot, but going all grain on the malt side, using some hops, and fermenting with WY3711.

#26 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Well in terms of a traditional I was thinking a high quality varietal honey fermented on oak (cubes in primary, probably french) and a yeast that provides a nice mouthfeel. (CY3079, D47) Aim for ~1.006-1.010

I did exactly this with some sourwood honey and CY3079 and a little bit of French oak cubes. I really didn't care for the results. Whether that was due to my ineptitude or what, I don't know but I'm not eager to try that again. If anybody is successful in something like this, I'd love to sample the results so that maybe I could figure out where I went wrong.

#27 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Personally I'm open for just about anything - cherries are just an option I tossed out.

#28 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Personally I'm open for just about anything - cherries are just an option I tossed out.

No worries, just shootin the breeze, seein what's good  :cheers:

#29 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

I did a saffron mead a number of years back with mesquite honey that was pretty impressive...wouldn't mind playing around with that spice again and TJ's has pretty good mesquite honey available

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

...and TJ's has pretty good mesquite honey available

And I've got 12 lbs. of that exact honey.

#31 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

How much saffron, that stuff ain't cheap!

#32 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

How much saffron, that stuff ain't cheap!

1g/5gallon - I did something close to this:https://www.northern...onMetheglin.pdf

#33 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Montmorency has yellow flesh?

there are more Cherries that are pie types than that :D

#34 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Cherries or Blueberries, Either is ok with me I'm in!

#35 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

Looking through responses it seems that either cherries or blueberries are the route people would like to goConcerns about cherries include cough syrup like flavors that sometimes occur, but Guest has what he would consider a proven recipe for a chocolate cherry mead. The pyment got a little talk as well.Blueberry Mel recipes abound- front runners in his thread include a potential proprietary recipe from GotMead and a very well constructed blueberry braggot recipe.Personally I'm at an even split between the chocolate cherry and an AG version of the deep blue braggot

#36 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28427 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Cherry mead looks nice but damn 22lb of cherries would be an expensive batch.  I think they're like $3/lb (maybe $2?  but still not cheap).

#37 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Cherry mead looks nice but damn 22lb of cherries would be an expensive batch.  I think they're like $3/lb (maybe $2?  but still not cheap).

Yeah that's why I wanted a solid recipe.

#38 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

EWW suggested Schramm's Mambo in Your Mouth. I think I have even seen some recipes for his Heart of Darkness on the web as well. I'd have to do some searching. Maybe a multiberry melomel based on one of these, fruits are brewers choice? 

Again if everyone is in for cherries, Guests recipe looks legit.

FWIW my cherry mel was 10lbs. montmorency (tart) cherries and 1/2 gallon Knudsens tart cherry juice in secondary, and no cough syrup taste whatsoever. 

#39 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Home brewers tend to side towards cheap...what does that raise cost per bottle to? If it's decent product I don't mind paying more for the right ingredients...still cheaper and typically better then store bought.

#40 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

EWW suggested Schramm's Mambo in Your Mouth. I think I have even seen some recipes for his Heart of Darkness on the web as well. I'd have to do some searching. Maybe a multiberry melomel based on one of these, fruits are brewers choice? 

I kind of like this idea ... Initial searches didn't produce a recipe for heart of darkness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users