#21 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16531 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Lighten up Francis. Just explaining the reasoning behind it because I know that was going to be the next question asked. Not trying to insinuate that it doesn't work.

Whoa....you took me out of context. Sorry.

#22 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

All good. :cheers:

#23 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Alright Mtn, what kind of mash temp are we talking here? 149-150 to get it to dry out a bit. I'm I little concerned about a getting this down under 1.015. Or should I mash around 152 and pitch big?

#24 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

If you want it dry, then 148-150 and maybe replace some of the malt with sugar.

#25 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Actually I'd like it to finish more like a SN IPA. So shoot a bit higher then eh?

#26 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Not familiar with SN's IPA. You got another point of reference?

#27 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

I meant like Celebration or Ruthless Rye.

#28 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16531 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Now you did it :) . Basser swears those beers are mashed high. Like 155* or so high. I prefer 150* ,152* at the very highest. My experience with mashing that high is a cloying sweetness on the tongue. I don't get that with the beers you mention which is why when Basser noted how high those beers are mashed at I about fell over because those beers are anything but cloying.

#29 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Now you did it :) . Basser swears those beers are mashed high. Like 155* or so high. I prefer 150* ,152* at the very highest. My experience with mashing that high is a cloying sweetness on the tongue. I don't get that with the beers you mention which is why when Basser noted how high those beers are mashed at I about fell over because those beers are anything but cloying.

Yeah, that still has me scratching my head

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16679 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Educate me. I thought the longer chain dextrins achieved by a higher mash temp resulted in a richer body not sweet simple sugars? (i.e. maltodextrin does not taste sweet) Am I off on this?

#31 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I know.

#32 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Educate me. I thought the longer chain dextrins achieved by a higher mash temp resulted in a richer body not sweet simple sugars?

Both although the more complex a sugar is, the less sweet it tastes.

#33 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

I know.

Sorry, my bad.. wish I was familiar with more commercial ipas, atleast more west coast to give you a better example.

#34 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

The hopping schedule that I gave you was based off of Fat Head Headhunter IPA, if that's any help to you.

#35 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16679 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Sorry, my bad.. wish I was familiar with more commercial ipas, atleast more west coast to give you a better example.

The last couple of times I was in Duluth I found a very good selection here... httpss://plus.google.com/106889235023497833218/about?gl=us&hl=en

Maybe you've been there and struck out but I seem to recall several west coast options. Place looks a little like a crack house but they have a lot of stuff in a small space and good people there too.

#36 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

The last couple of times I was in Duluth I found a very good selection here... httpss://plus.google....out?gl=us&hl=en

Maybe you've been there and struck out but I seem to recall several west coast options. Place looks a little like a crack house but they have a lot of stuff in a small space and good people there too.

Yes they have a great selection there. The problem is there is another liquor store I go to that always, ALWAYS has good deals on SN and some of the locals and I get sucked in.

#37 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

Ok so that puts it @ 97 IBUs w/o the late additions. I understand why you said leave the OG alone. Explain to me the thoughts behind the 45 & 30 minute additions. I'm not use to seeing those.

Ok so I found where you got that hopping schedule Mtn. Not to question you, but this puts me 15 IBUs higher than the recipe in the book shows at 82. Now I'm no IPA expert so I need to ask, am I really going to notice a huge difference at either level?

#38 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

Ok so I found where you got that hopping schedule Mtn. Not to question you, but this puts me 15 IBUs higher than the recipe in the book shows at 82. Now I'm no IPA expert so I need to ask, am I really going to notice a huge difference at either level?

I came up with right at 100 IBUs for the actual Headhunter recipe but with a mash hop in there plus whirlpool additions, it's a total crapshoot. I wasn't necessarily trying to duplicate that hopping schedule or hit their IBU numbers, it just sounded interesting and so I thought I'd suggest it for your IPA. Certainly feel free to scale it back if you think it will be out of balance or whatever.

#39 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Educate me. I thought the longer chain dextrins achieved by a higher mash temp resulted in a richer body not sweet simple sugars? (i.e. maltodextrin does not taste sweet) Am I off on this?

Maltodextrin doesn't taste sweet, but many other sugars that aren't digestible by yeast do taste sweet.

#40 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

I came up with right at 100 IBUs for the actual Headhunter recipe but with a mash hop in there plus whirlpool additions, it's a total crapshoot. I wasn't necessarily trying to duplicate that hopping schedule or hit their IBU numbers, it just sounded interesting and so I thought I'd suggest it for your IPA. Certainly feel free to scale it back if you think it will be out of balance or whatever.

I do like what you have sitting there on the screen. I just sit and look at the idea of 1.5 oz of CTZ and think that's a lot. I might scale back to 1oz @ 60, but that just might be a game time decision. At any rate this beer is on the board for next week, I'm going to get the starter stepped up one more time, most likely on Thursday.

Edited by johnpreuss, 19 March 2013 - 10:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users