#41 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Looking like this, or I up it to 1.5 oz of CTZ and I get it up to 100 IBU.

Posted Image

#42 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm not gonna go back and read the whole thread, but wanted to say that you need to keep in mind that low FG and a dry beer don't necessarily equate. I found that I get a much drier perception in an IPA by raising the sulftae level to the 200-300 ppm range and keeping the chloride under about 60. Even beers that finish with a higher FG than I expected have a dry finish with that level.

#43 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Very true, Denny. My default IPA profile unless otherwise specified by the recipe, is the Terry Foster profile: 175 ppm Ca++, 350 ppm SO4-- and 30 ppm Cl-.

#44 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ok from what I'm getting off the Bru'n Water sheet I need to add 20 grams of Gypsum and 4 grams of Calcium Chloride to get Ca = 165, SO4 = 303, and Cl = 53.  That seems like a TON of gypsum.  Does this seem right?

#45 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

That seems about right for 10 gallons. I split mine up between mash water and boil.

#46 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

That seems about right for 10 gallons. I split mine up between mash water and boil.

yes, It called for half in the Mash and half in the sparge.  But that is for a 6 gallon batch, I typically boil off 2 gallons in 60 min and I'm figuring for about 1.9 gallons to be absorbed by the grist.

I want to get this all hashed out because I'm planning on finally brewing this guy on Thursday.

Edited by johnpreuss, 14 May 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#47 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Yeah, it's a lot but it's OK AFAIAC. Just be sure your chloride doesn't get any higher. Martin has talked about off flavors if the chloride gets much above 50 when the sulfate is really high.

#48 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Racked this one to a secondary to dry hop this  morning.  Gravity was at 1.016.  The sample was crisp, not astringent, definately not cloying.  I think we hit it right with the salt additions.  Now it doesn't look like it in the pic but that's 4 oz of hops.  The leaf are covering up the 3 oz of pellets underneath. :ph34r: In the glass  this is an awesome straw colored  beer.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users