#21 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I caught an unmitigated ration of shit from the missus for screwing up her cast iron skillet on the dried cherry aspect of that recipe. I since learned to soak them first in boiled water to remove the oil and sugar with which they are coated.

I actually use a nonstick pan.

#22 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I caught an unmitigated ration of shit from the missus for screwing up her cast iron skillet on the dried cherry aspect of that recipe. I since learned to soak them first in boiled water to remove the oil and sugar with which they are coated.I really want to put raisins in a secondary.Use the currants, Luke.

I actually use a nonstick pan.

So I can put the raisins in a non stick pan and put a little cognac in there and heat it up to boiling before I put it in the sanitized secondary? That and cognac oak chips are just pressing in my mind that they will be good with a dubbel.

#23 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

JMO...I wouldn't use raisins. I'd use 4-5% Special B/CaraAroma/C120. That gives you a nice dried fruit flavor and it's in probably every commercial dubbel made.

#24 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

JMO...I wouldn't use raisins. I'd use 4-5% Special B/CaraAroma/C120. That gives you a nice dried fruit flavor and it's in probably every commercial dubbel made.

My blend has Special B in it. I think it's the allure of the raisins coming from something like Lost Abbey type approach on the 10 Commandments.

#25 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Ok I simplified this recipe a ton. I'm going this week to get my supplies so I wanted to ask y'all for some help in getting closer to my goal. The hop bill may change when I get to the store so I'm not focusing on that too much right now. What I'm looking to do is bring a little more color into the mix. Just a smidge darker and I will hit my target.Fermentables:3.00 lbs Pilsner ( 2 Row) Belgian3.00 lbs Belgian Wheat Malt3.30 lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME(6lbs is about my max for how I do my mini mash until my mash tun is ready. I may could squeeze a tiny bit more. I'm just looking for darker color since it's around 3.8 SRM projected right now.)Hops:1.00 oz Phoenix 60 Min0.50 - 1.00 oz Santiam 30 MinYeast:WLP670 and ServomycesGonna buy a glass carboy to let this thing sit in so I won't have to worry about the Brett staying in there. When it's time to secondary I am going to guy another one. I need more carboys anyway. Just have to figure out my fermenting time and how long to leave it. I want to have this one ready in May-June-ish. Hopefully it will be ready by that time. Any suggestions as to how to make it a smidge darker would be awesome. Thanks guys!Gus

#26 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

A few ounces of debittered black malt will lend color.I wouldn't bother with a yeast nutrient, YMMV.

Edited by armagh, 28 January 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#27 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

A few ounces of debittered black malt will lend color.I wouldn't bother with a yeast nutrient, YMMV.

Got ya. I can take out the nutrient. I have a couple packs of the capsules laying around. I can save them for the larger brews. I left out the teaspoon of white pepper I'm going to toss in at flame out. I want to see what it will do in the brew. Should be interesting. What's YMMV?

#28 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

What's YMMV?

Your Mileage May VaryBeach

#29 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Your Mileage May VaryBeach

Ahh 10-4

#30 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

0.80 ozs gets me right to the color I'm looking for. Thanks!Any Idea how I can get the FG down a smidge more. Not so much for alcohol, lower FG will make it dryer correct?

#31 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

0.80 ozs gets me right to the color I'm looking for. Thanks!Any Idea how I can get the FG down a smidge more. Not so much for alcohol, lower FG will make it dryer correct?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think you'll have any trouble reaching your target FG. You can, however, add a few ounces of sugar at flame out, which helps dry out the finished product, but I honestly do not think you'll find it necessary.

#32 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think you'll have any trouble reaching your target FG. You can, however, add a few ounces of sugar at flame out, which helps dry out the finished product, but I honestly do not think you'll find it necessary.

Thanks! The target per the program is now 1.011. I'm just wondering if I can do something to bring that down and dry it out. A few ounces of sugar at flame out will help. That will raise my OG a bit as well though.

#33 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks! The target per the program is now 1.011. I'm just wondering if I can do something to bring that down and dry it out. A few ounces of sugar at flame out will help. That will raise my OG a bit as well though.

Sub out some of your LME for the sugar.

#34 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Sub out some of your LME for the sugar.

I might try that. I am going to the LHBS Thursday to get my supplies. I've got two brews happening this weekend.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yeast, zombies, youre welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users