#21 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

Awesome! Nice work, Chuck. Can't wait to hear about your experiences.

#22 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

Awesome! Nice work, Chuck. Can't wait to hear about your experiences.

Thanks! Yeah, I figured I'd post interesting stories on my blog, tagged with Siebel like the post linked above.

#23 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

Paging Salsgebom.The stories and pictures he told me of his experience last fall blew my mind. You'll have a great time there.Drinking lots of Rauchbier man. :cheers:

#24 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

The assessment is rather informal, most of the people taking the course already have professional experience; I do not. I spoke with them about my background, having degrees in Mathematics and Physics helps, I'm no stranger to hard science even if I'm not trained in Chemistry. Due to my lack of professional experience they do expect me get through some material prior to my arrival in September. The MBAA Practical Handbooks, Technology Brewing and Malting by Kunze, a ton of articles from the Brewer International, etc.I would like to get working in a professional brewing operation right away, but my longterm goal is to run my own brewpub at some point. I am attracted to the diversity of work that the challenge of running two businesses (a brewery and a restaurant) under one roof simultaneously brings, and creating a space that attracts people to good times. But I want to be running the brewery part of the business with an intimate touch. I mean, who knows really what the future holds. Opportunities often present themselves that you didn't even know existed.

With all the great information and technical advice that you provide here on the board I am not surprised with your technical background. I just checked out your spreadsheet and it does look awesome as well. I have read a lot of Siebel's course descriptions and when they say pro brewer experience I figured that counts me out as well. I am a microbiology educated/pharmaceutical industry experience guy. Sounds like the prestudy and information should be fun then for sure too. You will be all the more knowledgable then as well. As to the brewpub idea thats awesome. I seriously consider the idea of opening a brewing establishment esp given the growth that this area has encountered too. I know the say brewpub is much harder to fund and run than a microbrewery but sounds like you have a determined plan. I wish you luck on that front too and hopefully someday I may have a brew that you produced or sit down for a meal and a pint at your establishment as well.

#25 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

It's not cheap, but it's not Law School either. Pricing and dates for all their courses can be found here:https://www.siebelin...wba_catalog.pdfRoundtrip airfare (Chicago -> Munich -> Chicago) is included in the International Diploma program's tuition along with the binders they will give us. Housing/Lodging is not, so having board in Chicago will save you a bundle. I believe "early" registration for all courses is 30 days prior to the start date, but am not certain.

If it's costing you more than $2,300 a month in total, then it's costing you more on a "per month" basis than what it cost me to go through Law School! Granted, you aren't devoting 36 months of your life to studying... but you get the idea. Like BrewBasser said... don't eff it up! Just kidding. I know you will do just fine. Now if I may ask young man... what are your aspirations upon completion of your studies? :cheers:

#26 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

Paging Salsgebom.The stories and pictures he told me of his experience last fall blew my mind. You'll have a great time there.Drinking lots of Rauchbier man. :cheers:

Heh, yeah. I picked his brain for some knowledge based on his experience there last year, and it helped me decide to go. Drinking lots of rauchbier, or just beer in general is going to be combined with eating all sorts of local food. I'm going to have to workout like 3 hours every day.

#27 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

Now if I may ask young man... what are your aspirations upon completion of your studies? :cheers:

I wanna dance!

Edited by chuck_d, 23 July 2009 - 04:15 PM.

#28 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

With all the great information and technical advice that you provide here on the board I am not surprised with your technical background. I just checked out your spreadsheet and it does look awesome as well. I have read a lot of Siebel's course descriptions and when they say pro brewer experience I figured that counts me out as well. I am a microbiology educated/pharmaceutical industry experience guy. Sounds like the prestudy and information should be fun then for sure too. You will be all the more knowledgable then as well. As to the brewpub idea thats awesome. I seriously consider the idea of opening a brewing establishment esp given the growth that this area has encountered too. I know the say brewpub is much harder to fund and run than a microbrewery but sounds like you have a determined plan. I wish you luck on that front too and hopefully someday I may have a brew that you produced or sit down for a meal and a pint at your establishment as well.

Thanks for all the kind words Mike. I imagine a microbiology background would be quite advantageous to have. The financial returns are probably not likely to match the pharmaceutical industry, they don't really match the software industry, but pursuing something you enjoy is worthwhile and business ownership can bring the financial rewards if that goal can be achieved. I'll admit to being a bit scared both in making and having made this decision. When it came down to it, I'm at a stage in my life where I can take the 3 months and it will put more closer to achieving some lifetime dreams; and all those close to me were supportive and believed this was a good path for me. The next 5 months of my life are going to be dedicated to brewing: preparing for the course, preparing 60 gallons and a new jockey box for my friend's wedding next month, then of course the program itself. I don't know how "determined" as in set in stone my plan after the course is, but I at least have a idea and some goals. Who knows, maybe I even have the brand name and logo already (https://dieseldrafts.com) :cheers:

#29 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

I love it when someone has the guts to pursue his dreams . I salute you. :cheers: I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences.

#30 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:00 PM

I love it when someone has the guts to pursue his dreams . I salute you. :devil: I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences.

Thanks. I just hope having the guts to pursue my dreams doesn't give me a gut. :cheers:

#31 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

Thanks. I just hope having the guts to pursue my dreams doesn't give me a gut. :cheers:

:devil: No kidding, if I could justify the drinking of beer as part of my studies, that's all I would need to grow me a world-class gut.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54221 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

You realize now that all of us will be asking you about the course and we'll also be asking you what you learned. And then we'll be asking you for advice and eventually we'll be asking you to brew our beer for us because you're a Siebel grad. Ready for that? :cheers: :devil:

#33 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:49 AM

Hey congrats and learn a lot but have a great time too.

Oh yeah, you know what's also lame... the official travel plans for the group is to fly to Germany on 10/31. That's a Saturday and the course starts on Monday morning. Seriously? I'm not missing out on Halloween in ChiTown. Yet another reason to make my own travel plans.

If the plane leaves 10/31, I would assume around 6-7 pm Chicago time, that means you'll arrive Sunday morningish, early afternoon if you have any layovers... you'll be jet-lagged as hell, classes start the next morning? If it was me I'd stick with their plans. You'll thank me for it.

#34 brewskee

brewskee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

Congrats man, but Chicago sucks.

#35 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

Congrats man, but Chicago sucks.

+1You from Wisconsin??? Only a Cheesehead would put it out there like that!

#36 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

It will.BrewBasser

#37 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

You realize now that all of us will be asking you about the course and we'll also be asking you what you learned. And then we'll be asking you for advice and eventually we'll be asking you to brew our beer for us because you're a Siebel grad. Ready for that? :cheers: :devil:

Bring it. I don't know if there is anything proprietary that I won't be able to discuss or not, but I don't think much of it will be. You know if I do achieve my goal of opening my own brewpub that it will be a homebrewer friendly place.

Hey congrats and learn a lot but have a great time too.If the plane leaves 10/31, I would assume around 6-7 pm Chicago time, that means you'll arrive Sunday morningish, early afternoon if you have any layovers... you'll be jet-lagged as hell, classes start the next morning? If it was me I'd stick with their plans. You'll thank me for it.

Thanks. I really want to try to take advantage of the opportunity to do Halloween in Chicago, but the hard part is going to be finding a flight Sunday morning that will get me there in time to get all checked in, orientated and to class. They haven't bought their tickets yet, but they say they are traveling in the morning. It'll be a 6 hour difference for them, and a 7 hour difference for me. That's because Europe rolls their clocks back a week before we do on 11/1. You can't overcome jetlag in a single day, so I'm not too concerned about having the extra 24 hours in that timezone. It takes longer than a day to reset your internal clocks, so I don't think that I'll be much worse off than the rest of the group. You can do some daylight tricks to reset your mental clock, but it takes like a week plus to reset your cellular clocks as they take their cues from internal chemistry changes that your brain and eating habits have a big part in changing. Interesting article on the subject: https://sciencenews....rcadian_rhythmsBut yeah, I dont' know if I can find a flight that's going to work, sucks!

+1You from Wisconsin??? Only a Cheesehead would put it out there like that!

Or a Cardinals fan...

#38 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

Or a Cardinals fan...

Don't go there! I'm still bitter over and remember crying my eyes out over the Game 7 loss in the '82 Series between the Brewers and the Cardinals. And I was in 6th Grade at the time. Just devastating! Now I'm gonna have to go home after work and drink some beer... oh wait... I was going to do that anyway. :-)But after all that, I still say "Cubbies suck!"Yes, I am an NL Central devotee!

#39 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

Thanks. I really want to try to take advantage of the opportunity to do Halloween in Chicago, but the hard part is going to be finding a flight Sunday morning that will get me there in time to get all checked in, orientated and to class. They haven't bought their tickets yet, but they say they are traveling in the morning. It'll be a 6 hour difference for them, and a 7 hour difference for me. That's because Europe rolls their clocks back a week before we do on 11/1. You can't overcome jetlag in a single day, so I'm not too concerned about having the extra 24 hours in that timezone. It takes longer than a day to reset your internal clocks, so I don't think that I'll be much worse off than the rest of the group. You can do some daylight tricks to reset your mental clock, but it takes like a week plus to reset your cellular clocks as they take their cues from internal chemistry changes that your brain and eating habits have a big part in changing. Interesting article on the subject: https://sciencenews....rcadian_rhythms

Oh I know it takes a while to get accustomed, but I know for me I'd want as much of Sunday as I could get... when I travel to Europe, we usually arrive in the morning then I stay up until 9-10 pm local time then go to bed and get up the next morning, feeling refreshed. Of course my arse is dragging by about 5-6 pm but it usually only takes me 3-4 days to adjust. It does sound like a blast though and I wish I could take off the time to do it. Maybe a sabbatical is in my future.And on another note, Chicago sux! j/k even though I am a cheesehead.

#40 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

Bring Kunze if you bring anything.BrewBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users