chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

Bring Kunze if you bring anything.BrewBasser

Good looks. I'll bring that and depending on what I think after reading the handbooks possibly those, and none of the others. Thanks.

#42 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

You realize now that all of us will be asking you about the course and we'll also be asking you what you learned. And then we'll be asking you for advice and eventually we'll be asking you to brew our beer for us because you're a Siebel grad. Ready for that? :P :D

I'm sure most folks here would already be asking him to brew beer for them, having seen his level of knowledge in brewing theory.Knowing what enzyme does what at what temperature and the true breakdown of a barley kernel from raw grain to malt doesn't necessarily change your homebrewing process. The greatest thing you learn from Siebel is understanding the big picture. How the industry works. What processes have worked for a thousand years, and what the future looks like. How does a brewer interact with a maltster? How would you maximize efficiency in a packaging line? How do you properly manage a brewery and design it to reach optimum process and ease of maintenance. I could keep listing commercial brewing dilemmas that are not important to homebrewing, and that's where Siebel helps you. Of course, there's also plenty of geeky brewing theory- especially in yeast and fermentation.I suggest making friends with everyone. Hang out at the Bier Stube with your instructors after class and make yourself known. Invite them out to the pub and talk brewing. Ask Tim Foley for a brew session at his secret lair at the Goose production facility. These are important people to know in this industry and they can get you to great places.

#43 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:04 AM

https://dieseldrafts.../off-to-siebel/I'm incredibly excited!

so do you need any degrees before you do something like this?

#44 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

I suggest making friends with everyone. Hang out at the Bier Stube with your instructors after class and make yourself known. Invite them out to the pub and talk brewing. Ask Tim Foley for a brew session at his secret lair at the Goose production facility. These are important people to know in this industry and they can get you to great places.

Yeah, the Bier Stube looks kind of cool. This is such a great opportunity, the closer it gets the more excited I become to be doing it. Thanks for all your insight.

so do you need any degrees before you do something like this?

There is a screening process that is rather informal, but there is a screening nonetheless. I have degrees in Mathematics and Physics, which aren't necessarily the best degress for brewing but they demostrated a certain level of experience with scientific rigor. I believe most people in the course have prior professional brewing experience. In order to prepare for the course I am going through the MBAA Practical Handbooks, Technology Brewing and Malting by Kunze, and too many IBD articles to count. All told I think I'm plowing through 1500-1700 pages this summer. Slightly bad timing as my friend takes the bar tomorrow, we could have camped in the library together if I committed to this a little earlier. Not that big of a drawback though, if it weren't raining so much this summer I'd just go read in the park.

#45 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Slightly bad timing as my friend takes the bar tomorrow, we could have camped in the library together if I committed to this a little earlier. Not that big of a drawback though, if it weren't raining so much this summer I'd just go read in the park.

Ah yes, the Multi-State Bar Exam... 400 multiple choic questions administered to aspiring lawyers all across the nation on the same day so that no one can cheat! It's been 12 years for me and let me tell you the studying is rigorous. You and your friend could have had plenty of quiet study sessions.Doing what you are planning is a dream, but I don't have a scientific mind. My brewing is more of an artistic approach I guess. Again, good luck with this, INCLUDING all of your preparation!

#46 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

Good Luck. I'm very jealous. If you want to hoist a pint or come to a homebrew club meeting in Chi-town, just say the word.

#47 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, the Bier Stube looks kind of cool. This is such a great opportunity, the closer it gets the more excited I become to be doing it. Thanks for all your insight.There is a screening process that is rather informal, but there is a screening nonetheless. I have degrees in Mathematics and Physics, which aren't necessarily the best degress for brewing but they demostrated a certain level of experience with scientific rigor. I believe most people in the course have prior professional brewing experience. In order to prepare for the course I am going through the MBAA Practical Handbooks, Technology Brewing and Malting by Kunze, and too many IBD articles to count. All told I think I'm plowing through 1500-1700 pages this summer. Slightly bad timing as my friend takes the bar tomorrow, we could have camped in the library together if I committed to this a little earlier. Not that big of a drawback though, if it weren't raining so much this summer I'd just go read in the park.

So are you intending to become a pro brewer? And remember - everything is just applied math :D

#48 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

Good Luck. I'm very jealous. If you want to hoist a pint or come to a homebrew club meeting in Chi-town, just say the word.

Thanks, I haven't figured out where I'm staying or what our schedule is going to be like exactly (except for class hour obviously), but I'm up for getting together with the ChiTowners.

So are you intending to become a pro brewer? And remember - everything is just applied math :D

Yeah, I'd like to get working right away when I get back, in the long run I'd like to own my own brewpub. In college I used to refer to the math major as a philosophy major for the science-minded.

#49 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

In college I used to refer to the math major as a philosophy major for the science-minded.

If you aren't doing applied math you are absolutely right.

#50 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

I always thought of math as legitimate numerology.BrewBasser

#51 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:34 AM

Thanks. I really want to try to take advantage of the opportunity to do Halloween in Chicago, but the hard part is going to be finding a flight Sunday morning that will get me there in time to get all checked in, orientated and to class. They haven't bought their tickets yet, but they say they are traveling in the morning. It'll be a 6 hour difference for them, and a 7 hour difference for me. That's because Europe rolls their clocks back a week before we do on 11/1. You can't overcome jetlag in a single day, so I'm not too concerned about having the extra 24 hours in that timezone. It takes longer than a day to reset your internal clocks, so I don't think that I'll be much worse off than the rest of the group. You can do some daylight tricks to reset your mental clock, but it takes like a week plus to reset your cellular clocks as they take their cues from internal chemistry changes that your brain and eating habits have a big part in changing. Interesting article on the subject: https://sciencenews....rcadian_rhythmsBut yeah, I dont' know if I can find a flight that's going to work, sucks!

What time do you need to arrive and be checked in by?United has a flight 11/1 leaving ORD @ 8:55am arriving in MUC @ 7:35am. Downside is that you have an almost 6 hour lay over in IAD. How well will your first day go while trying to adjust to a 7 hour time difference and being in an airplane/airports for the last 16 hours?If you have a week or so before you leave, switch to BST. I work 3am-12pm CT every day so that when I travel for work, there isn't any jet lag. Sure it sucks having to be in bed at 5/6pm every night, but look on the bright side. You would only be doing it for a week. I've been doing it for 13 months!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users