#1 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

https://dieseldrafts.../off-to-siebel/I'm incredibly excited!

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

https://dieseldrafts.../off-to-siebel/I'm incredibly excited!

And what do you do in real life that you can take off for 3 months!? Have fun Chuck!

#3 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

That is incredible! Very jealous right now. You forgot the Chi-style hot dogs.

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:23 PM

Congrats!You will need to hit Goose Island, which wont be that hard because I believe your classes will take place in the same building. While you're here order a Lou Malnadi's pizza, best in the city **ducks** ;) and stop by one of our fine beer establishments such as the Hopleaf or the Map room. you might be able to stop by the newest Chicago brewery, Half Acres, but for right now they don't have a pub yet. If you can get into a car, check out 3 floyds, or Two Brothers. Both make great beer. Oh, and the hot dogs aren't really that great **ducks again** :smilielol:

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:30 PM

And what do you do in real life that you can take off for 3 months!? Have fun Chuck!

Software QA, mobility tech, operating systems, etc. I've done MSFT and several startups, but for almost a year now I've been self-employed doing this type of work on a consulting basis, helping friends with their startups, assisting doctors with their computer issues and the like.

That is incredible! Very jealous right now. You forgot the Chi-style hot dogs.

Chi-style hot dogs? Is it called deep dog? I'm kind of scared... I actually don't really eat hot dogs, and haven't really touched the street meat in NY though I know some people that swear certain vendors are fantastic. For health reasons I avoid red meat as much as possible, but for the sake of the experience I expect I will end up eating a little bit in ChiTown. I'll have to try a pepperoni pizza at the very least to compare it to Lombardi's (best pepperoni pie there is).

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

Congrats!You will need to hit Goose Island, which wont be that hard because I believe your classes will take place in the same building. While you're here order a Lou Malnadi's pizza, best in the city **ducks** :smilielol: and stop by one of our fine beer establishments such as the Hopleaf or the Map room. you might be able to stop by the newest Chicago brewery, Half Acres, but for right now they don't have a pub yet. If you can get into a car, check out 3 floyds, or Two Brothers. Both make great beer. Oh, and the hot dogs aren't really that great **ducks again** :smilielol:

Yeah, I think Goose Island is across the street from the classes, I think I'll end up eating quite a few lunches there ;) I definitely appreciate all the suggestions... keep 'em coming.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64138 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

Cool, bro! I can't wait to learn something from our new brewmaster! Don't forget the little people, ya know...

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

I left a message on your site.You know, the Goose Island on Clybourn is (I believe) the home (or part of the home) of Siebel. When we hung out there a few years ago, GI let us use "The Siebel Room" for tasting each other's homebrew. I believe they actually hold classes in that room which is located INSIDE the Goose Island pub. Anyone feel free to correct me on that. Cheers Amigo... wish I could go too.

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

Right on, you Chicago folks, especially who have been there, would know more about it than I do. It's a little vague on Siebel's website, where I was reading about the Chicago facilities and they say it's across from GI. Across what you might ask... the street? the alley? the room?https://www.siebelin...te.com/chicago/Don't worry JK, I know my roots. As much as I can I want to keep expanding/fixing and making the spreadsheet better for the homebrew community. Honestly, I wouldn't be where I am in my brewing career without this online community.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

Chuck,Congrats man that is so awesome. I hope you have a wonderful time and learn lots as well. I have never experienced Siebel but looking at their site and all the great things they offer I am sure its going to be an experience you will never forget. Since you are pursuing your dream thats even better and wish you much success and enjoyment. I know I would love to go, look forward to hearing your great insight and experiences. I have been to Chicago and its a great City and I have been to Munich and the fest grounds as well in summer before the Ofest as well. I think you are going to love it. Germany is a great place and Munich a great city as well. I wish you the best!! Good Luck!!Mike

#11 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

Awesome.Enjoy, and study hard. It isn't cheap, so don't eff it up!BrewBasser

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64138 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

Damn, I just read your blog...3 weeks in Munich, then 2 weeks touring Europe!!! You lucky son of a monkey!

#13 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Chuck,Congrats man that is so awesome. I hope you have a wonderful time and learn lots as well. I have never experienced Siebel but looking at their site and all the great things they offer I am sure its going to be an experience you will never forget. Since you are pursuing your dream thats even better and wish you much success and enjoyment. I know I would love to go, look forward to hearing your great insight and experiences. I have been to Chicago and its a great City and I have been to Munich and the fest grounds as well in summer before the Ofest as well. I think you are going to love it. Germany is a great place and Munich a great city as well. I wish you the best!! Good Luck!!Mike

Thanks, I was in Germany, Beglium and the Netherlands last Fall as my friend (whose wedding I'm brewing for) was in Hamburg for a semester abroad. We did a little beer tour, but only hit Hamburg and Köln while I was there but he made it to the 'fest. Now it's my turn to see München.

Awesome.Enjoy, and study hard. It isn't cheap, so don't eff it up!BrewBasser

Haha, thanks Basser. I've actually read a little over half of the "wrong" textbook at this point. Stupid UC-Davis program using different book than Siebel. Actually, it's probably good for me to read them both. I was considering bringing like half my library with me... Brewing by Lewis, Essays by Lewis & Bamforth, Standards by Bamforth, Principles and Analysis by Fix, Brewery Operations 6,7 & 9, Calculations by Holle. But I'm not sure that its worth lugging all those books out to Chicago since I'll also have the Practical Handbooks, Technology by Kunze and also the 6-7 binders they give me once I'm there. I'm trying to lighten my load as books are really heavy and carrying that many on a flight would be painful, so I've got to trim it down a bit. If you have any recommendations as to what not to leave behind, or what I should bail on. I know you're Davis guy, so not intimately familiar with Siebel's program, but your insight is valuable.

Damn, I just read your blog...3 weeks in Munich, then 2 weeks touring Europe!!! You lucky son of a monkey!

Actually, I'm scrapping their travel plans and making my own. My parents are going to meet up with me after the program ends and we're going to spend another 3 weeks or so touring Europe. We're thinking of doing Christmas in Poland or Russia. It's kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity for us so we're gonna milk it. Oo Oo Ah Ah Ah!! (That's my gorilla sound, cuz if you're gonna be monkey, be a gorilla!)Oh yeah, you know what's also lame... the official travel plans for the group is to fly to Germany on 10/31. That's a Saturday and the course starts on Monday morning. Seriously? I'm not missing out on Halloween in ChiTown. Yet another reason to make my own travel plans.

Edited by chuck_d, 23 July 2009 - 03:04 PM.

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

whats the bill for that program...gotta know what I need to save up...at least I have board in Chicago

#15 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

dont forget ask all us chicago brewers to have some brews!

#16 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:17 PM

whats the bill for that program...gotta know what I need to save up...at least I have board in Chicago

It's not cheap, but it's not Law School either. Pricing and dates for all their courses can be found here:https://www.siebelin...wba_catalog.pdfRoundtrip airfare (Chicago -> Munich -> Chicago) is included in the International Diploma program's tuition along with the binders they will give us. Housing/Lodging is not, so having board in Chicago will save you a bundle. I believe "early" registration for all courses is 30 days prior to the start date, but am not certain.

#17 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

Chuck,From looking at the Siebels website and reading the lengthy course description did you have to take the assessment they mention before taking the course? I also wanted to ask are you looking to pursue the dream of being a commercial brewer or are you interested in opening your own brewpub or microbrewery? I understand you can become a brewer then pursue the ownership following that too. Congrats either way for sure!!

#18 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

dont forget ask all us chicago brewers to have some brews!

No doubt. I know you & Ken are ChiTowners, unfortunately a lot of people didn't put their location in their profile on this site that had them on the other so I forget where people are located a lot. I need to get a better grasp of what my scheduling is like. 9-5 M-F are normal class hours, but they sometimes schedule field trips/tours during the week or on Saturdays. It's mandatory during the week, and they are schedule "on-the-fly" I believe. I still need to book my hotel and travel arrangements. I'm looking for a hotel with a kick ass swimming pool. I have a feeling that I'll be putting a lot of calories into my body during those 4 months, so I need to find ways to get them out. I figure a hotel with an awesome pool is easier than finding a hotel and a gym/pool to join.

#19 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

No doubt. I know you & Ken are ChiTowners, unfortunately a lot of people didn't put their location in their profile on this site that had them on the other so I forget where people are located a lot. I need to get a better grasp of what my scheduling is like. 9-5 M-F are normal class hours, but they sometimes schedule field trips/tours during the week or on Saturdays. It's mandatory during the week, and they are schedule "on-the-fly" I believe. I still need to book my hotel and travel arrangements. I'm looking for a hotel with a kick ass swimming pool. I have a feeling that I'll be putting a lot of calories into my body during those 4 months, so I need to find ways to get them out. I figure a hotel with an awesome pool is easier than finding a hotel and a gym/pool to join.

theresmeken greatfookinchicagowaterguymazand some more I really cant think of as well.

#20 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Chuck,From looking at the Siebels website and reading the lengthy course description did you have to take the assessment they mention before taking the course? I also wanted to ask are you looking to pursue the dream of being a commercial brewer or are you interested in opening your own brewpub? I understand you can become a brewer then pursue the ownership following that too. Congrats either way for sure!!

The assessment is rather informal, most of the people taking the course already have professional experience; I do not. I spoke with them about my background, having degrees in Mathematics and Physics helps, I'm no stranger to hard science even if I'm not trained in Chemistry. Due to my lack of professional experience they do expect me get through some material prior to my arrival in September. The MBAA Practical Handbooks, Technology Brewing and Malting by Kunze, a ton of articles from the Brewer International, etc.I would like to get working in a professional brewing operation right away, but my longterm goal is to run my own brewpub at some point. I am attracted to the diversity of work that the challenge of running two businesses (a brewery and a restaurant) under one roof simultaneously brings, and creating a space that attracts people to good times. But I want to be running the brewery part of the business with an intimate touch. I mean, who knows really what the future holds. Opportunities often present themselves that you didn't even know existed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users