#1 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Sup folks. Next week I'm moving down to Statesboro for a job as the Brewmaster for Van Gogh's. We're a brewpub about 150 yards from the Georgia Southern football stadium. I've got four 6-bbl fermentors, two brights/serving tanks, a big old cold room, and a slick automated electric brewhouse. We should be picking up another two fermentors pretty quick. I'm in charge of all things beer, from raw ingredients to training the serving staff and sourcing outside brews.Holla if you're ever in the area. We should have our opening in November. I haven't made an official post on my blog because I wanna make some original photography of the brewhouse, which was just installed last week, and the cellar tanks should be going in this week.I'm cutting off the internet here on Friday so I figured I should post this while I still have a chance to answer replies.

#2 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:05 AM

Sweet, If I ever make it up to that neck of the woods Ill pop in.Dan

#3 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Not too far from here. Post when you get the place up and running. I'd make a day trip.

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

Totally cool and congrats. Id love to hear about the electric brewery!

#5 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

That really is cool for you. Congratulations and good luck with the new position. Help a Hoosier out, where's statesboro?Beach

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

Very cool Chuck. Good luck and I'll certainly stop in if I'm in the area.

That really is cool for you. Congratulations and good luck with the new position. Help a Hoosier out, where's statesboro?

C'mon man, you don't listen to the Allmans? Statesboro is in GA.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haVGUKoutwU

#7 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Help a Hoosier out, where's statesboro?Beach

NW of Savanah.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Totally cool and congrats. Id love to hear about the electric brewery!

I second this. As someone with a small scale electric brewery I am curious about a larger scale one and the actual cost benifit of it.

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone. Do let me know if you're gonna stop by, I'll make sure to be around.

C'mon man, you don't listen to the Allmans? Statesboro is in GA.

Indeed, one of the flagships I am supposed to brew is a Belgian Wit called "Statesboro Blue". I describe Statesboro's location as 3.5 hours from Atlanta, an hour from Savannah. Somewhat near the South Carolina boarder.

I second this. As someone with a small scale electric brewery I am curious about a larger scale one and the actual cost benifit of it.

There is a company out there called Brewmation that takes Stout tanks and tricks them out with heating elements, float switches, a control panel and all that. We have a 3-vessel brewhouse, HLT, MLT, & Kettle/Whirlpool. It's a RIMS system. We have one giant glycol chiller out back, and during knockout the control panel automatically stops the glycol from going to the fermentors while the wort is being pumped through the plate chiller. It's all controlled through a touchscreen. Way to expensive for any homebrew setup, but it gives the brewer some nice controls. Mark a set point on mash temp, do a step mash if necessary. It should help with the process control necessary on a professional system.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

There is a company out there called Brewmation that takes Stout tanks and tricks them out with heating elements, float switches, a control panel and all that. We have a 3-vessel brewhouse, HLT, MLT, & Kettle/Whirlpool. It's a RIMS system. We have one giant glycol chiller out back, and during knockout the control panel automatically stops the glycol from going to the fermentors while the wort is being pumped through the plate chiller. It's all controlled through a touchscreen. Way to expensive for any homebrew setup, but it gives the brewer some nice controls. Mark a set point on mash temp, do a step mash if necessary. It should help with the process control necessary on a professional system.

Do you know your temp rise per minute is yet?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks everyone. Do let me know if you're gonna stop by, I'll make sure to be around. Indeed, one of the flagships I am supposed to brew is a Belgian Wit called "Statesboro Blue". I describe Statesboro's location as 3.5 hours from Atlanta, an hour from Savannah. Somewhat near the South Carolina boarder.There is a company out there called Brewmation that takes Stout tanks and tricks them out with heating elements, float switches, a control panel and all that. We have a 3-vessel brewhouse, HLT, MLT, & Kettle/Whirlpool. It's a RIMS system. We have one giant glycol chiller out back, and during knockout the control panel automatically stops the glycol from going to the fermentors while the wort is being pumped through the plate chiller. It's all controlled through a touchscreen. Way to expensive for any homebrew setup, but it gives the brewer some nice controls. Mark a set point on mash temp, do a step mash if necessary. It should help with the process control necessary on a professional system.

Agh yes, I have seen those.

#12 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Do you know your temp rise per minute is yet?

I've only seen the brewhouse sitting on my boss's porch on his farm about a month ago. I think I'll be doing mostly single-step infusion mashes, initially undershooting my temp since it should be pretty easy to bring it up to my target. I'm putting a thermometer in the brewery and in the malt room so hopefully I'll be able hit my target temps spot on after a few brews and just use the RIMS to maintain temps in the uninsulated MLT.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

That is awesome. Congrats!

#14 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

C'mon man, you don't listen to the Allmans? Statesboro is in GA.

Well, yes I do. But, I don't recall GA being mentioned in the song. Beach

#15 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Let me know when you are heading down. We've got a shirt for you from Summer Suds.

#16 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Awesome to hear. I live in Atlanta, and it is always good to hear of more beer being made here!

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

it will be quite the change from NYC. good luck :cheers:

#18 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Thanks again for the well the wishes. Uh, yeah, I think more people live on my block in Harlem in than live in all of Statesboro, haha. Definitely gonna be a change of pace.

Let me know when you are heading down. We've got a shirt for you from Summer Suds.

Oh right on! That was a fun day, met a lot of cool people. I'll be down there late next week, but haven't found a place to live yet and not sure we can take deliveries at the pub yet. But hopefully I'll be moving into a place Nov 1.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Chuck, have you been brewing professionally or is this your first gig?

#20 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

I've been consulting for a couple startups, but this is my first fulltime gig as an employee.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zombies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users