Photo
- - - - -

Some help with a Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale...

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Nice. Care to share your Pilsner Urquell clone recipe?
TIA, Tom

Mine won't be repeatable cause it got messy one night as I was measuring out hops, grain, etc between 2 batches at midnight and some of the peanut butter got in the chocolate and vice versa.

Based on this though with ~ 1.5 ozs of saaz at 20 and whirlpool. https://www.homebrew...l-clone-333411/

#22 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Regarding my clone, I'll just leave this here. 8 days in the bottle now after gelling and lagering. That's at 42F serving temp.

Posted Image

Edited by chils, 09 September 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#23 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Thanks. I have also made a few "irreproducible" beers along the way.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

So I took DJ's advice on the grain bill and then used Chil's whirlpool addition method on the hops. I made this beer this morning and it should be very interesting. I think there might already be a commercial beer called Full Nelson, so sue me. :lol:

Full Nelson Southern Hemisphere Pale Ale

10 lbs 2-row Pale Malt (7 lbs of Gambrinus Pale Ale Malt and 3 lbs of Briess 2-row)
½ oz Magnum pellets 9.5% for 60
1 oz Nelson Sauvin pellets 11.8% for 5
1 oz Nelson Sauvin pellets 11.8% for 2
1½ oz Nelson Sauvin pellets 11.8% added as a whirlpool addition*
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

OG: 1.054, FG: 1.012, IBU: 34, SRM: 4, ABV: 5.2%

The mash temp came in at 151.6° for 60 mins. I used 50% RO water because of the light color (lowering the bicarbonate to 57ppm) and then added back 2g of CaCl and 2g of gypsum. The whirlpool addition was from Chil's thread... begin to chill and bring wort to 175° and stop the chill. Add the hops and stir/whirlpool for 15 mins and then resume the chill. I used the Magnum for bittering because there was a comment (DJ?) that Nelsons that sit for too long in the boil get dank and dirty or some such thing. The Magnums will do their job without getting in the way of anything so it's all good. It's currently sitting in a tub with 10 gallons of water at about 60° and I will attempt to keep the primary temp cool. Cheers gang.

Edited by KenLenard, 12 September 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#25 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

I think there might already be a commercial beer called Full Nelson, so sue me. :lol:

1? How about 15? Search for "Full Nelson" on ratebeer shows 15.
Recipe looks solid. I think you're gonna know what NS tastes like pretty soon :)

Edited by chils, 12 September 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Maybe I should have gone with Major Nelson with a picture of Jeanie on the label? ;)

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

I lifted a graphic I found on the interboobs and made a label for this beer when it's ready to go...
Posted Image

#28 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Nice!

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

Have you tried this one yet?

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

Have you tried this one yet?

No. It's sitting in secondary and it's gold and very clear. The aroma when I racked it out of primary (maybe a week ago) was very nice. It won't hit the taps for awhile but I will post my impressions when I try it and try to snap a pic as well. I saw that you're expecting a bundle of joy (NS hops!) so what are your plans for them? DJ suggested I go with just pale malt and the Nelsons so this is a very simple beer and should showcase the hops well. Cheers.

#31 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Love the Nelsons. I'll be brewing my all Nelson S beer again this Saturday. Hoping for that elusive batch-to-batch consistency so it's what the 1st batch of this recipe was. Beach

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:03 AM

I saw that you're expecting a bundle of joy (NS hops!) so what are your plans for them?

Still up in the air. I may go simple like your recipe here or the wheat that BlKtRe posted or I may just do the same grain bill as the Simcoe Pale ale I did and bitter with Magnum and the rest will be the Nelson's https://www.brews-br...imcoe-pale-ale/ Either way, I am looking forward to it!

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

OKay, I wanted to update this thread and also ask you guys for some direction. First off, this beer came out "good" but I think it could have been better. The beer was a bit harsh and it lacked smoothness. The Nelsons were very nice and I'm already looking to make another batch of this beer but I'd like to get some feedback first. I really liked DJ's advice to use all 2-row, which I did... Gambrinus Pale Ale malt. I also noticed that with the low SRM of the beer, knocking down the bicarb would be good so I used 50% RO water. But then I went and used Martin's "Yellow Balanced" water profile and ended up with 42ppm of chloride and 54ppm of sulfate. Does anyone think that that sulfate number plus the low SRM of the beer plus the late hops would have caused the harshness? The beer cleared well and after I had a pint of it, I was able to drink it but honestly, I pretty much choked down this beer which I don't ordinarily do. Is it reasonable to say that low-SRM plus some elevated amount of sulfate (along with a lot of late hops) is not desirable? If I were to make it again, I would lean towards 50/50 water, adding back a small amount of Cacl, possibly leaving the sulfates alone (no gypsum) and then hop it the same. All of this questions the amount of sulfates to use when using one of Martin's "Yellow" profiles. Also, his yellow balanced profile calls for 65ppm of bicarb and I cut mine so it was only 57ppm so I don't consider high-bicarb to be the issue. Thoughts? Ps. Mash temp was 151.6°.

Edited by KenLenard, 12 December 2012 - 07:55 AM.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the update Ken. I would like to try this recipe excpet I will be using CMC 2-row and TF MO for the split. I have no comments on the water though. I plan to use my tap water straight up for the first batch and see how the beer comes out. Did you add any dryhops to this or was the whirlpool addition it?

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hops added at 5, 2 and whirlpool. The hops came through nicely and I could tell that the hops had a nice character, no question.

#36 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Ken, Try going without the bittering hops. Just like we have talked about......the perception of bitterness will come from the late addition. Try doing the 5, 2 and then knock out hop additions. When you go to add the knock out hop addition, cool it down a little and then let that hang out for a good 15 minutes. You'll still get a good amount of hop utilization at those temps. Mark

#37 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Ken - Also one more consideration. Magnum is a hop that has a very high cohumulone level. The hop is clean (aroma speaking), but the cohumulone level that high does make people perceive it as astringent Be careful on calling a hop like Magnum "clean". It may have a lack of aroma, but the perception on the tongue can be tough. If you want to bitter a beer, try using a hop like a Kent Golding or a Cascade. The bitterness is much more palatable.

#38 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Nelsons and Magnum have a similar coho percentage. Cascade actually can be fairly high.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I think I used 4.75 AAU of Magnum (only a half-ounce at 9.5%). I suppose that could be it but I have used Magnums in the past and in a higher quantity (although maybe not in a beer this pale and not in a beer with high sulfates). I have often considered going without a bittering addition when using a lot of late hops. I think I will tone down the sulfates and either lower or 86 the bittering addition and see what happens. Thanks gang.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Quick note: I know you guys think I obsess over water. This batch was not a bad batch of beer necessarily. It was not infected and there was nothing wrong with balance, etc. but some combination of things in this recipe did not agree with each other. My guess is that it was a pale beer with higher-than-desired sulfates and possibly higher-than-desired bicarbonate. If it WAS the bittering hops, it would be out of my experience. Again, my Magnum use has probably not been in beers with an SRM of 4... more likely in amber or red beers did I use Magnum for bittering. When I make it again, I will keep the grains and late hops the same and maybe just change the bittering addition and the water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users