Photo
- - - - -

Some help with a Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale...

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

I want to make a pale ale where I attempt to showcase the Nelsons but I may only have about 1½ ounces to play with. I wanted to bitter with Magnum and then do some late hopping with the Nelsons and a dry hop with them as well. I was thinking of something like Gambrinus Pale Ale malt and some Vienna with maybe 4 ounces of CaraMunich for a 7 SRM beer. About 5 AAU of Magnum for bittering and then ¼-ounce additions of Nelson at 15, 10, 5, 0 and then the last ½-ounce as a dry hop. The Nelsons I have are 11.2%. I have another beer in production now that is using a hop blend and I need some of these Nelsons for that blend but I think when all is said and done I will have a total of 1½ ounces. Does anyone have a feel for how this recipe will come out? I liked their aroma when I used them in this blend but the blend also had Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and Motueka so I'm thinking that the Nelsons will be lost in there and I'd like them to be front & center for this next one. Thoughts?

Edited by KenLenard, 25 August 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

How about using the Motueka as a "flavor" and the Nelson as an "aroma" hop? You could do the magnum bittering, add a small amount of Motueka at 20ish, then the nelsons at 10, KO, and dry hops? If you are going for an only Nelson pale ale, then I think your original plan works well. I did my latest Saison with only Nelson. FWH, 20, 10, KO. We'll see how it turns out! Cheers!

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, I kind of wanted to make it all-Nelsons-all-the-time without any other hop character in play. I know the Magnums won't add much but I also realize that it would be good to have more of these Nelsons. Maybe B&G still has some in the freezer but I thought I took the last 1-oz package of them. I went up to PB and their hop selection is completely devoid of AUS or NZ hops of any kind. I asked Scott if there were any Southern Hemisphere hops in the freezer and he rolled his eyes, "NO".

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

There are some at the Roselle B&G. Lots actually.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

There are some at the Roselle B&G. Lots actually.

Sounds like a supply run is in order. I was very happy with their hop selection (Nelson, Motueka, Citra, Galaxy... some still in the HopUnion packaging) and probably should've picked up a little more last time. Thanks JB. I will be heading over there next week.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

If you're stuck with that amount of Nelsons I would bitter with magnum, finish with the nelsons and go all 2 row to let the nelson shine..

#7 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Sounds like a supply run is in order. I was very happy with their hop selection (Nelson, Motueka, Citra, Galaxy... some still in the HopUnion packaging) and probably should've picked up a little more last time. Thanks JB. I will be heading over there next week.

They still have all those hops! I was there two days ago.

Cheers!

#8 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

I did a Nelson IPA with 2 oz bittering @ 60 and 2 oz dry hop. Showed the hop nicely. Hope this helps.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

If you're stuck with that amount of Nelsons I would bitter with magnum, finish with the nelsons and go all 2 row to let the nelson shine..

I thought about that too. A sort of "Major Nelson Blonde Ale" kind of thing. Or an extra-extra pale ale.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Be light handed with NS during the boil or else it can get a little dank. Late boil and a short dryhop seems to work well. This goes for Galaxy as well.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

Be light handed with NS during the boil or else it can get a little dank. Late boil and a short dryhop seems to work well. This goes for Galaxy as well.

Okay, this is the first I've heard of this. So do you think that these small ¼-oz additions from for the last 10 minutes plus some dry-hopping would be reasonable?

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Okay, this is the first I've heard of this. So do you think that these small ¼-oz additions from for the last 10 minutes plus some dry-hopping would be reasonable?

I added a lot more IBUs in the last 20 - 15 minutes. It came out great IMO.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Okay, so I am thinking about this as my next 1056 beer. All 2-row (maybe 10 lbs total) and Magnum to bitter... just ½ an ounce at 9.5% for 4.75 AAU. Then start adding the Nelsons late. I am going to pick up more Nelsons so I will have 4 or 5 ounces total to play with. I can't recall making an all-2-row beer in the past so where would you mash this? 150? 151-152? I'm thinking that "dry" would be best. I will be adding NS hops in ½-oz additions at 10, 2 and 0 and then an ounce or 1½ ounces as a dry hop for a week. But where to mash? Anything else?

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

Okay, so I am thinking about this as my next 1056 beer. All 2-row (maybe 10 lbs total) and Magnum to bitter... just ½ an ounce at 9.5% for 4.75 AAU. Then start adding the Nelsons late. I am going to pick up more Nelsons so I will have 4 or 5 ounces total to play with. I can't recall making an all-2-row beer in the past so where would you mash this? 150? 151-152? I'm thinking that "dry" would be best. I will be adding NS hops in ½-oz additions at 10, 2 and 0 and then an ounce or 1½ ounces as a dry hop for a week. But where to mash? Anything else?

If it was me I would mash at 152. Have you thought of letting those 0 minute addition sit in the kettle and steep for 10-15 before you start to chill? I like to do a 10-5-0/whirlpool on my late hopped beers.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

152 because the 2-row-only grain bill will not add much in the way of depth or maltiness? Seems reasonable. I may employ the late hop process mentioned by Chils in the dank/resiny thread in the beer forum.

#16 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

152 because the 2-row-only grain bill will not add much in the way of depth or maltiness? Seems reasonable. I may employ the late hop process mentioned by Chils in the dank/resiny thread in the beer forum.

You won't be disappointed. I did a double brewday when I did the beer I posted in that thread about. I also did a Pils Urquell clone and added a bunch of Saaz at 175F. This is the closest I've come to cloning that beer. I never could get all that Saaz flavor until now. Drinking one now and I'm in love.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

You won't be disappointed. I did a double brewday when I did the beer I posted in that thread about. I also did a Pils Urquell clone and added a bunch of Saaz at 175F. This is the closest I've come to cloning that beer. I never could get all that Saaz flavor until now. Drinking one now and I'm in love.

You read my mind. I was just thinking of a beer where I might use something like 2001 or 830 and load up the late Saaz or Tettnanger hops. So here's a question... why is this whirlpool addition different than a dry hop addition in terms of aroma/flavor. If it's not as good in the late boil (too hot) and it's not as good as a dry hop (beer is now cool) then there must be something about that temp range (175) that has a positive effect on the hop addition, right? I like it. Cheers to you, my friend.

#18 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

So here's a question... why is this whirlpool addition different than a dry hop addition in terms of aroma/flavor. If it's not as good in the late boil (too hot) and it's not as good as a dry hop (beer is now cool) then there must be something about that temp range (175) that has a positive effect on the hop addition

The flavor is not as raw/harsh as a dry hop. Seems a little more "full" if that makes any sense. Also has that lingering resiny mouth and throat coating like I get in a good hoppy commercial beer. Definitely different than a dry hop b/c I was never able to get that hop flavor integration from my previous 60/15/0 min additions.

Here's what some of my peeps are saying about it:

I definitely notice a difference, the best way for me to describe it is sort of that tongue-coating resiny hop flavor and a soft lingering bitterness that I always enjoyed in the really good commercial IPAs.

Holy f---ing sh-- I just had my IPA right next to GABF winner Headhunter and it's damn near cloned. It was the bartender that pointed it out to me. I am ecstatic.

Edited by chils, 08 September 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

^^^^^^^^^^Nice ^^^^^^^^^^

#20 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Nice. Care to share your Pilsner Urquell clone recipe?
TIA, Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users