Photo
- - - - -

Interesting "homebrew supply" delivery...

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54237 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

First off, here is a picture of the bag. I brewed yesterday and used the 6 or 7 pounds of the "mixture" and then I went to get this bag of Gambrinus Pale Ale Malt (which I had placed inside of a garbage bag)...Posted ImageThat hole is "AS IS"... It was that size when I opened the original box on Wednesday. The holes in the Munich and Vienna were smaller but there were multiple tears in both of those bags. All of this would suggest that the "mixture" was mostly Pale Ale malt.Secondly... the replacement box arrived today. I put it in the basement w/o opening it and will use it as soon as my other grains are gone. Bottom line, they made it right.

#62 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

First off, here is a picture of the bag. I brewed yesterday and used the 6 or 7 pounds of the "mixture" and then I went to get this bag of Gambrinus Pale Ale Malt (which I had placed inside of a garbage bag)...That hole is "AS IS"... It was that size when I opened the original box on Wednesday. The holes in the Munich and Vienna were smaller but there were multiple tears in both of those bags. All of this would suggest that the "mixture" was mostly Pale Ale malt.Secondly... the replacement box arrived today. I put it in the basement w/o opening it and will use it as soon as my other grains are gone. Bottom line, they made it right.

Can't ask for any better than that.

#63 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

First off, here is a picture of the bag. I brewed yesterday and used the 6 or 7 pounds of the "mixture" and then I went to get this bag of Gambrinus Pale Ale Malt (which I had placed inside of a garbage bag)...Posted ImageThat hole is "AS IS"... It was that size when I opened the original box on Wednesday. The holes in the Munich and Vienna were smaller but there were multiple tears in both of those bags. All of this would suggest that the "mixture" was mostly Pale Ale malt.Secondly... the replacement box arrived today. I put it in the basement w/o opening it and will use it as soon as my other grains are gone. Bottom line, they made it right.

those seriously look like finger tearsglad they did it up right :frank:you don't own a mill? :shock:

#64 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Actually, that does seem odd (though I vaguely recall Ken explaining long ago).With how much you brew, Ken, wouldn't it have saved you money by now to buy in bulk (brewclub nearby?) and mill the grains yourself?

#65 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

oh and yeah that is a decent crush

#66 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54237 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

I thought it looked "ripped" too. It wasn't anything sharp and if it was some sort of "gas explosion", that was one badass grain-fart. You know what, I'm very close to pulling thr trigger on a mill and I'll tell you why. I know that the grain stores better and I also think that there may be a bump in beer quality when the grain is crushed just prior to mash. Right after the beerpocalypse, I went to one of my LHBSs that used to seel precrushed grain but they no longer do. So I had to mill it myself. I was brewing with it within 12 hours and that beer came out very nicely and had a little better, fresher character to it. So I am close to doing this. I really didn't want to futz with the gap, the dust all over the place and all of that but I'm thinking that I'll take the plunge. I do need to blow through this 80ish lbs of grain first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users