Photo
- - - - -

Interesting "homebrew supply" delivery...

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

That is definitely not too much to ask. I would even say a full shipment (just the grains, of course) would not be out of the question, requesting them to double bag, etc.You shouldn't have to sort through a box of grains, and weigh out broken bags to fix their mistake. If they have good customer service, hopefully they will offer that.If they don't offer you anything, and say to suck it up, I hope you paid with a credit card, and have them reverse the charges for incorrect product being sent, or something along those lines. That will get their attention quickly.I have very little tolerance for a business that doesn't offer good customer service and makes things right. I really hope they do that for you!

Edited by gnef, 10 July 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#22 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

I think you tell them to replace the entire order at their expense.

#23 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

I bought a couple of all grain beer kits from NB a few months ago. Everything came all packed fine, except one of the bags was only twisted shut - no tape, ties or anything else to secure it. Luckily, nothing spilled, so I made all the kits and it was fine and I figure it was probably just an honest oversight. I meant to e-mail them, so they know to be more careful but I also don't think it was that big of deal since the bag was still twisted and nothing came out. Also, I would've felt guilty had they sent me anything in return since I know they're high class when it comes to customer service.In your case, Ken, I would expect them to replace all the grain, not just your estimated lost in the bottom of the box amount.

#24 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Man this is a bummer. I think I have a good guess on who this is and I hope they make it right!

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Man this is a bummer. I think I have a good guess on who this is and I hope they make it right!

Guess, guess, guess!

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

Oh yeah, just saw that over in the review section. My guess is that they will do something to make it right. I'll update when I hear from them.

#27 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

I see a mystery beer in your future.Dan

I threw something together once with a variety of grains and hops I had on hand... used some lager yeast. I called it a "Frankenlager"

measure what grain is left in each bag, subtract, now you know how much is spilled out.

Doh! I'm glad some keep their heads around here. That's the logical thing to do.Because they weren't slated for the same beer, they should send you full amounts, double bagged for the inconvenience. They will get some great "goodwill" out of it.As for what to do... Make your best guess as to the grain bill and brew a lager... call it Fed Ex Lager.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

The only real way for me to do this is stand on my scale alone and then holding the bags of grain and note the difference. I don't have a homebrewing scale that goes to 15 pounds or whatever. And yes, I will eventually take this grain (not a bad combo, as mentioned... pale malt, munich and vienna) and make a beer with it. Maybe this is what I needed to find for my last beer with my active blob of 2308. As for the supplier... have not heard from them yet.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Okay, just went to get a better handle on it. To add insult to injury, the MUNICH bag had TWO holes ripped in it, creating a larger mess. So I weighed these and it appears that the vast majority of the grain is the Gambrinus Pale Malt. Probably 5-6 lbs of it. Then it appears to be about 2 lbs of MUNICH and maybe one pound of Vienna. Ish. This is all "ish". So possibly 9 lbs of grain (certainly enough for 5 gallons of the beer that *I* make) total spilled out and it's in that ratio or around there. It occurs to me that a grain bill like that could make a nice Munich Lager, German Helles or Czech Lager. The base malt is not pilsner so this could also just make a Blonde Ale or whatever.UPDATE: The supplier got back to me apologizing profusely. He said that he would do anything to make it right including sending all 40 lbs back today for a Friday delivery. He also said that they have been experimenting with new bags and these must not be the right ones. I asked how he would feel about resending HALF the shipment. I don't want to be a pig. :huh:

#30 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Brew brew beer with "spilled" grain bill.Give beer clever name.::Profit!(1/2 replacement) Youre a good guy Ken. I have to believe they will do that.

#31 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Sounds like they're going to play ball...which is the right thing to do. Glad it's going to work out for you pal!I buy all my grain locally (base grain is bought in bulk) and have never had to have it shipped. The only thing I've ordered online are hops. And you have to work at it to open those babies!

#32 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Sounds like they take care of their customers! I'm glad. Who is it?

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

So here's the truth: This is Rebel Brewer in TN. I have posted amorous descriptions of their service in the reviews section. My guess was that they would do something to make it right... or else the place was having financial difficulty and a disgruntled employee sabotaged my order. For those who occasionally need to order online, I have to tell you that these guys are very good and that this issue is very out of the ordinary. Here's the email I got back this morning...Oh, No, Ken I am so sorry. We are trying out different bags to avoid problems like this. Apparently these bags aren't it.I will be happy to re-ship whatever you want me to, and we can get that out today for a Friday delivery.If you want the whole 38lbs reshipped, I'll do it. Just let me know. And we will double bag all of it.Again, I apologize for the lousy bags and spillage and i will do whatever I need to to make up for it.Thank you for letting me know and giving me the chance to fix it,TomRebel BrewerSo I stand behind them 100%! Thank you Rebel Brewer. It shows that they have their heads on straight. Cheers.

Edited by KenLenard, 11 July 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#34 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

Awesome. I've seen their presence a bit and may look into them when I am cruising the on-line sites for stuff.

#35 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

That is a fantastic outcome.....I may just need to try them out.

#36 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

That's who I figured it was. I assumed they would do right and I'm glad they did. It won't steer me away from using them I really liked them. There quick and provide a good crush on there grains, since I'm still to cheap to buy my own mill.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

More from Tom...I think the issue is a pressure burst. We've noticed that once grain is crushed it tends to "gas-off" and the bags will inflate like a balloon, and with alot of weight on it and other items in the box (and the chance that the box might be dropped somewhere down the line), the balloons can rupture. I really hope you are not on to something with the disgruntled employee theory. Your box was packed by our operations manager, Tyler, while he was training a brand new warehouse team member, Andy (his first day). So if either one of them are upset, I'm in trouble. Our quest for better bags continue, we've actually had pretty good luck with these, but I don't mind getting a more expensive bag if I can rest easier at night.As for sending half of the grain. I don't want to do that to you. Let me reship all the grain, and if you can use the current grain for something else, be my guest. I would feel better knowing that you are getting what you expected to get in the first place.Cheers,TomRebelHow about that!? This is how good companies are run. Well done, Rebel Brewer. Anyone care to comment on the exploding bag theory? Never heard that one before but it HAS been very warm.

Edited by KenLenard, 11 July 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#38 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

So glad they did what needed to be done for customer satisfaction. I have never ordered from them but will give them a try for how they treated this situation.Dan

#39 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

So glad they did what needed to be done for customer satisfaction. I have never ordered from them but will give them a try for how they treated this situation.Dan

This! Sounds like a good guy running an honest business...

#40 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for posting all of this, Ken.....just ordered a bunch of hops from them to try them out.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users