Photo
- - - - -

Interesting "homebrew supply" delivery...

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Sounds like I will throw some business their way (once I use up my NB gift certificates).Thanks for sharing this Ken! (it would be cool to see some pictures of these exploding bags!)

#42 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

That's pretty strange about the exploding bag theory. I ordered from them last week and it was really hot down here all week, plus it sat somewhere over the 4th holiday. My shipment was fully intact. Each bag was also very tight as in it almost seemed like they vacuum bagged them and the box was packed very full. So if there was any chance of inflation and rupture that would have been it.

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54242 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, not sure on the exploding bag theory but I have heard of grains "de-gassing". Of course I've heard of people de-gassing too but that's another story.Anyway, one thing is for sure... there will be an awful lot of grain here eventually. I think I'm going to take this bag of mixed grain and make my Signature Ale (2nd recipe from the end on that page) with it. The recipe is mostly pale ale malt with some C40 and Special B thrown in. I don't have the Magnum hops but I did just get some Sterling which I think would be good. If this mixed grain has some Munich and/or Vienna in it, how can that hurt me? I've been planning to brew tomorrow and I think I will make the Signature Ale then. I will have to open the bag with the pale malt in it (to get up to 9 lbs) and I will snap a picture of it then. Can you imagine a FedEx guy driving around hearing an exploding grain bag in his truck? WTF?For those who have ordered from them, you know that they're very good and for those who ordered for the first time, I think you will like them. Good selection, good prices, discounts for larger amounts and very fast shipping. Hopefully this thing was just a blip. Cheers gang.

#44 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12316 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Feds looking for something improper maybe?

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Glad they took care of it for you. I have ordered from them before and I had stopped after a awful order of fresh hops. I will keep your story in mind and give them one more shot.

#46 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Feds looking for something improper maybe?

Doubtful. All indications were that the package wasn't tampered with. Besides, I just got a delivery of grain from Midwest Supplies that I inspected at lunch... was delivered by Fed Ex... and there were no issues. They use a relatively thick bag though.

#47 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

I've never ordered from them, but have seen their site and some of their posts on hbt. Given your experience, I will look at them more seriously in the future with confidence in their ability and customer service!

#48 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54242 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Glad they took care of it for you. I have ordered from them before and I had stopped after a awful order of fresh hops. I will keep your story in mind and give them one more shot.

What was the issue with the hops? Old or stale? Poorly packaged? Not as advertised? I only order pellets and I love they way they package them... shrinkwrapped, oxygen-purged, vacuum-sealed. The hops always seem fresh, bright green, vibrant and aromatic to me. I did have some Hallertau Mittelfruh where the hops seemed to be almost powdered instead of pelletized but the resulting beer was good and this was an unusual thing. In yesterday's shipment there was a little over a pound of pellets... Goldings, Mt. Hood, Liberty, Hallertau Mitt and Tettnanger. They're still sealed but my guess is that they're good.

#49 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Doubtful. All indications were that the package wasn't tampered with. Besides, I just got a delivery of grain from Midwest Supplies that I inspected at lunch... was delivered by Fed Ex... and there were no issues. They use a relatively thick bag though.

heh, I think he should make a mystery amber beer and call it 4th Amendment Ale, just because...

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

What was the issue with the hops? Old or stale? Poorly packaged? Not as advertised? I only order pellets and I love they way they package them... shrinkwrapped, oxygen-purged, vacuum-sealed. The hops always seem fresh, bright green, vibrant and aromatic to me. I did have some Hallertau Mittelfruh where the hops seemed to be almost powdered instead of pelletized but the resulting beer was good and this was an unusual thing. In yesterday's shipment there was a little over a pound of pellets... Goldings, Mt. Hood, Liberty, Hallertau Mitt and Tettnanger. They're still sealed but my guess is that they're good.

It was one pound of wet hops that was shipped on a friday of a holiday weekend and spent the weekend in a hot warehouse. By the time I got them they were down to 11 oz and brown. They said they send an e-mail saying they could hold the hops in their cold room till after the holiday. By the time I got the e-mail they had shipped already. It would just have made more sense to hold all shipments till the day after the holiday. They were also just in a paper bag, the ones I had received from one of their competitors were vacuum sealed. Like I said, I will keep them in mind after seeing how this was taken care of.

#51 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

I had a great experience when I used them a few months ago. Vacuum sealed hops and super fast delivery.

#52 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54242 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Oh, and I just got an email from FedEx tracking... the new shipment is on the way from Rebel Brewer. Seriously? I'm going to be buried in grain! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

#53 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

what a horrible problem to have.... :-)

#54 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Im sure a few of us would help you with that problem.Dan

#55 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Ken, maybe it is time to try a big(ger) beer? :]

#56 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

RebelBrewer is a really good place to order from. They have fast shipping and all my experiences with them have been really good. Even though they don't have flat rate shipping I notice that once I put together orders, including shipping, they are still cheaper (and faster) than the places with flat rates.

#57 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54242 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

:scratch:

#58 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

lol, i am wondering if ken's mash tun has a line in it around where an 11 lb mash usually settles :frank:

#59 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

:scratch:

Just do it, a nice impy pilsner in your case.

#60 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Imperial MLPA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users