#61 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I would have thought he would be underhopped, if anything. Mt. Hood comes in the low 4% range. Wish I had my software here at work to see what the IBU differences would be.

Not much. There isn't much contribution going over 60 minutes.

#62 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

How so?

What were your Alpha Acid's on those Mt. Hood's? If you added them at 60 mins, you'll have more bitter beer than you planned. Especially since you're OG is off...

But if he added his finishing hops and then boiled for another hour, it would be too bitter, no?

I took the hops out at 60 minutes but then boiled for a while after that in order to get the OG within range. I would think that the beer may be too sweet.

#63 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

I would have thought he would be underhopped, if anything. Mt. Hood comes in the low 4% range. Wish I had my software here at work to see what the IBU differences would be.

Yeah, I'm just trying to do the math in my head too. I would have assume with him missing low on his OG and throwing 1.5 oz of MH's in there that it would have ended up high on the IBU's. But I guess MLPA only gets to 26 so maybe that is right.

#64 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Not much. There isn't much contribution going over 60 minutes.

The recipe calls for 5 -5.5%, so I bought the 4% ounce and added to make it 5.5 percent. I had this discussion with someone who said to do it that way.

#65 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

I took the hops out at 60 minutes but then boiled for a while after that in order to get the OG within range. I would think that the beer may be too sweet.

OK but I still don't understand how you came to that conclusion.

#66 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Ideally, you know you're pre-boil OG so can boil down (if necessary) prior to adding your hops...for future reference.

#67 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

But if he added his finishing hops and then boiled for another hour, it would be too bitter, no?

That is my assumption too... as long as he said he was considering another 60 minutes boil. If he hadn't added them at that point, then likely ok. At this point, I'm hoping he just put the 6 gallons of 1.038 into the fermenter.

#68 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

That is my assumption too... as long as he said he was considering another 60 minutes boil. If he hadn't added them at that point, then likely ok. At this point, I'm hoping he just put the 6 gallons of 1.038 into the fermenter.

Sounds like he boiled the hops for an hour, removed them and then boiled for another hour. I *think* that will turn out OK but he seems to think it's going to be too sweet for some reason and I don't see why that would be the case.

#69 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Sounds like he boiled the hops for an hour, removed them and then boiled for another hour. I *think* that will turn out OK but he seems to think it's going to be too sweet for some reason and I don't see why that would be the case.

Right... factors in sweetness would be a high-temp/thick mash or a stalled fermentation. I had a recent beer stop at 1.020. Ideally, it would have dropped to at least 1.012. I had put in plenty of hops, wanting it to be a very hoppy beer. It was a good thing I did because it helped balance it out.

#70 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Coming in here very late, but congratulations on the first AG brew John. It will become more enjoyable as you get more comfortable with the process and your system. BTW, you made beer.Beach

#71 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

I probably assumed incorrectly that the hops would be mitigated due to the long boil.

#72 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have to say that is was the worst brew day so far. What a cluster!!!!!

#73 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16544 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Thats the wrong way to do it. Its good a preboil gravity was taken but this needs to be done before the bittering hop addition so adjustments can be made. Adjustments mean boiling longer to reach the desired preboil gravity with the understanding your final batch size will be smaller. Or, if you come in to high, dilute the kettle with filtered water. Then adjust the bittering hop addition and start your countdown. This is one way to brew balanced beers. People who follow a set recipe and dont do things like this will become inconsistent brewers. Also, I always tell new brewers that use a refracto to make sure the sugars are mixed properly in the kettle or the readings will be skewed. Its also important to take 3 preboil/hop readings and see where your average is. Its real easy to get a misread.

#74 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

I probably assumed incorrectly that the hops would be mitigated due to the long boil.

The longer you boil hops the more alpha acids are isomerized (i.e., the more bitter it will be). However after about 60 minutes, the additional isomerization is fairly minimal.

#75 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Did you have a stuck sparge or a massive boil-over where you lost all of your bittering hops?? It sounds like you had a pretty decent 1st AG. I have gotten into the habit of taking a pre-boil gravity check after the wort comes to a boil so it's well mixed and then, if I'm off, go to BeerSmith and make adjustments in volumes, boil times and hop additions as needed. Since you have the refracto it's pretty quick and easy.Beach

#76 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thats the wrong way to do it. Its good a preboil gravity was taken but this needs to be done before the bittering hop addition so adjustments can be made. Adjustments mean boiling longer to reach the desired preboil gravity with the understanding your final batch size will be smaller. Or, if you come in to high, dilute the kettle with filtered water. Then adjust the bittering hop addition and start your countdown. This is one way to brew balanced beers. People who follow a set recipe and dont do things like this will become inconsistent brewers.Also, I always tell new brewers that use a refracto to make sure the sugars are mixed properly in the kettle or the readings will be skewed. Its also important to take 3 preboil/hop readings and see where your average is. Its real easy to get a misread.

For sure. But I don't think his improvisation was too bad considering. It never would have occurred to me since I have no way to remove the hops once they're in there so I give him props for thinking on his feet. And Beach is right, this is not anywhere close to the worst brewday possible.

#77 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Nah, doesn't sound too bad for the first go and no help. It'll get like riding a bike eventually.Besides, it'll be a distant fond memory when you are sitting back and enjoying a few in a month or so.

#78 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself! Like what others are saying, this is just part of the process. It sounds like you took pretty good notes, and there have been many great recommendations in this thread for you to consider for your next batch.Pretty soon you won't think twice about brewing all-grain!

#79 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16544 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

For sure. But I don't think his improvisation was too bad considering. It never would have occurred to me since I have no way to remove the hops once they're in there so I give him props for thinking on his feet. And Beach is right, this is not anywhere close to the worst brewday possible.

For sure it was a good thought process. Kudos for paying attention. I was just pointing out a way easier option. And i agree, coming in a few points off is the least of worries on learning equipment and processes. Id like to revisit the manifold. Something fishy is going on that shouldn't be.

#80 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

For sure it was a good thought process. Kudos for paying attention. I was just pointing out a way easier option. And i agree, coming in a few points off is the least of worries on learning equipment and processes.Id like to revisit the manifold. Something fishy is going on that shouldn't be.

Actually pulling the hops was awesome. Chuck was the first one that ran that by me, but he plans it........Yeah, the manifold is weird. I've done dumber things than forgetting to open a valve and scratching my head................

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users