#141 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

meh, I usually give my mash tun a quick hot water and oxy bath before I use it, that's all the pre-heating I do

Why?I give my mashtun a good hose down and air dry it after each batch to keep the mold and fuzzy stuff from growing inside it. Wash it before a batch? A mashtun is one place in the brewery where sanitation is not an issue. I would not unnecessarily introduce oxyclean or anything other material I would need to rinse off.A waste of time. materials, resources and you run the risk of having something undesirable get into your mash.

#142 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

Why?I give my mashtun a good hose down and air dry it after each batch to keep the mold and fuzzy stuff from growing inside it. Wash it before a batch? A mashtun is one place in the brewery where sanitation is not an issue. I would not unnecessarily introduce oxyclean or anything other material I would need to rinse off.A waste of time. materials, resources and you run the risk of having something undesirable get into your mash.

my stuff is stored outside in a permeable old shed sometimes it's months between brews, I wanna know it's cleaned out

#143 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

I side with Zymot that a quick rinse and wipe down of the tun is all that is really needed if you store for a long period. Anything you think might be in there isn't going to survive the high mash temps, let alone the boil. That being said, every once in a while I do a really deep cleaning of my mashtun.

#144 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

my stuff is stored outside in a permeable old shed sometimes it's months between brews, I wanna know it's cleaned out

I side with Zymot that a quick rinse and wipe down of the tun is all that is really needed if you store for a long period. Anything you think might be in there isn't going to survive the high mash temps, let alone the boil. That being said, every once in a while I do a really deep cleaning of my mashtun.

Personally I would rather have old barely stains than new Oxyclean/PBW/bleach/StarSan residue. I might give it a rinse with the garden hose to wash off dust or spider webs.

#145 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

The inside of one of my Ice Cube tuns is pure brown. I dig how it looks and when others come over they squint and I laughingly say that maybe if they brew long enough their tun can look like mine....:)

#146 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

The inside of one of my Ice Cube tuns is pure brown. I dig how it looks and when others come over they squint and I laughingly say that maybe if they brew long enough their tun can look like mine.... :)

So the darkness of the inside of the tun is like the old karate belts before they started handing out actual colors, huh? Don't know if it is true or not, but I was told that in karate you start off with a white belt, and never wash it. The more you wear it, the darker it gets... couldn't find any support for this theory. May be a load of shit, but a good story for the kiddos.

#147 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

The inside of one of my Ice Cube tuns is pure brown. I dig how it looks and when others come over they squint and I laughingly say that maybe if they brew long enough their tun can look like mine.... :)

Yeah, mine's not pretty. If you want ugly check out the inside of my aluminum kettle sometime..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users