#41 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

What if I had a friend who measured the amount of his wort after the mash tun wrong, and I ( I mean he) at 7 gallons after a 60 min boil. Could he just reduce that to around 6 gallons and check the SG?Man I am truly a messup today.

So what's the volume and gravity right now? 7 gallons @ 1.038?

#42 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

What if I had a friend who measured the amount of his wort after the mash tun wrong, and I ( I mean he) at 7 gallons after a 60 min boil. Could he just reduce that to around 6 gallons and check the SG?Man I am truly a messup today.

What is the gravity for your "friends" 6 gallons? Assume that after the 60 minute boil, your "friends" gravity reading was acceptable, I would tell your "friend" to put all 6 gallons in the fermenter, but to use that blow-off tube. If your "friend" was so inclined, he could can 4 quarts in a pressure canner to use for starters.But... I would just put it all in the fermenter. Tell your "friend" that if he kegs, he will have to also bottle at least a 6 pack (since it all won't fit in a keg) and send it to Deerslyr. :cheers:

#43 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Refractometer reads 1.038 with 6.5 gallons of wort. Shall I reduce it down and look again at 5.5 gallons

#44 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

Refractometer reads 1.038 with 6.5 gallons of wort. Shall I reduce it down and look again at 5.5 gallons

At 5.5 gallons you'll have a gravity of (38 * 6.5) / 5.5 = 45 -> 1.045.

#45 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

What is the gravity for your "friends" 6 gallons? Assume that after the 60 minute boil, your "friends" gravity reading was acceptable, I would tell your "friend" to put all 6 gallons in the fermenter, but to use that blow-off tube.If your "friend" was so inclined, he could can 4 quarts in a pressure canner to use for starters.But... I would just put it all in the fermenter. Tell your "friend" that if he kegs, he will have to also bottle at least a 6 pack (since it all won't fit in a keg) and send it to Deerslyr. :cheers:

And Fermcap of course!

#46 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

I ran it through a caluclator. Should adjust to 1.037. Nominal change from what we expected based on the initial data he gave us with respect to the gravity.

#47 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

It would get you closer to where you needed to be and makes a lot more sense.

Boil Off CalculatorCalculate: Initial Gravity Initial Volume Final Gravity Final Volume Initial Gravity: s.g.Initial Volume: galTarget Gravity: s.g.Target Volume: gal Boil Off Rate: gphBoil Time: min

#48 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

I ran it through a caluclator. Should adjust to 1.037. Nominal change from what we expected based on the initial data he gave us with respect to the gravity.

In other words, I will be within striking zone for the OG of 1.048 that KenLenard recommends.

#49 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

In other words, I will be within striking zone for the OG of 1.048 that KenLenard recommends.

You'll be at 1.045, as I said earlier.

#50 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

At 5.5 gallons you'll have a gravity of (38 * 6.5) / 5.5 = 45 -> 1.045.

I think, with this "adjustment", that he actually came a lot closer to hitting his targets than he realized. Over-sparged for too much boil volume. I don't know what the hops additions are like, but he may just want to put it in the 6 gallons at 1.038 so as not to throw off the hops profile. Do you agree? At most, maybe another 30 minutes of very vigorous boil for a 90 minute boil. Shouldn't affect it too much... unless he already used his aroma hops.

#51 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Apologies... when I pasted in that calculator, I didn't realize the values weren't coming through. I was coming up with the same 1.045 that Mtn came up with. He just knows his math. I'm stupid without the intertubes.Mtn... what is your assessment on the hops situation?

#52 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Mtn... what is your assessment on the hops situation?

No math involved. Just straight arithmetic. :)I was wondering about the hops too. JD have you added the finishing hops yet? If so, do you have more to add at the end of the boil? What was the original hop schedule? (Sorry if all these questions have been answered and I missed them.)

#53 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

This might be where he has an issue this go around. If he already added them, then he should just go to the fermenter. Then he should go back to the software and run the session with his actual volumes and readings. I'm guessing it will be a good tasting, low gravity beer... perfect for consuming mass quantities a hot, humid day.

#54 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

I have to say that this hasn't been fun at all.

The hardest part of AG brewing is learning that it is not very difficult.It is easier than all the books, how to post, FAQs, etc make it seem. Especially if you are doing the Denny batch sparge method.1- Put grain in the mashtun2- Put hot water in the mashtun3- Stir it up4- Wait5- Stir it again6- Add more water (this step might be optional)7- Voulaf8- Drain wort9- Add more water10- Wait11- Drain wortAll of those steps are very easy. The only tricky one is Step #2. How much water and at what temp. That one, Jethro, you have to do some ciphering. Even #2 is not hard, once you dial into the fact that your mashtun absorbs heat, then it is easy..

#55 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

No math involved. Just straight arithmetic. :)I was wondering about the hops too. JD have you added the finishing hops yet? If so, do you have more to add at the end of the boil? What was the original hop schedule? (Sorry if all these questions have been answered and I missed them.)

Unfortunately the hops is gone. 1.5 oz of MT Hood. Damn! Guess this beer will be pretty sweet.I just had .5 ounces that I just added. There is nothing left.

Edited by Jdtirado, 09 July 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#56 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Unfortunately the hops is gone. 1.5 oz of MT Hood. Damn! Guess this beer will be pretty sweet.

How so?

#57 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Unfortunately the hops is gone. 1.5 oz of MT Hood. Damn! Guess this beer will be pretty sweet.I just had .5 ounces that I just added. There is nothing left.

What were your Alpha Acid's on those Mt. Hood's? If you added them at 60 mins, you'll have more bitter beer than you planned. Especially since you're OG is off...

#58 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

What were your Alpha Acids on those Mt. Hoods? If you added them at 60 mins, you'll have more bitter beer than you planned. Especially since your OG is off...

Fixed for me

#59 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

What were your Alpha Acid's on those Mt. Hood's? If you added them at 60 mins, you'll have more bitter beer than you planned. Especially since you're OG is off...

I would have thought he would be underhopped, if anything. Mt. Hood comes in the low 4% range. Wish I had my software here at work to see what the IBU differences would be.

#60 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

I would have thought he would be underhopped, if anything. Mt. Hood comes in the low 4% range. Wish I had my software here at work to see what the IBU differences would be.

But if he added his finishing hops and then boiled for another hour, it would be too bitter, no?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users