#41 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

The gelatin I used came from the LHBS. It's called "Gelatin - 200 Bloom". The label recommends 1/2 tsp of dry gelatin dissolved in 1/2 cup of water per 5 gallons of beer.Some quick searching shows that Knox brand gelatin is about 200-225 Bloom, so the ratios should hold true for the Knox gelatin.

#42 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54139 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

The gelatin I used came from the LHBS. It's called "Gelatin - 200 Bloom". The label recommends 1/2 tsp of dry gelatin dissolved in 1/2 cup of water per 5 gallons of beer.Some quick searching shows that Knox brand gelatin is about 200-225 Bloom, so the ratios should hold true for the Knox gelatin.

I wonder how much gel Terry Tate, Office Linebacker uses. :sarcasm: :D :D

#43 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

I wonder how much gel Terry Tate, Office Linebacker uses. :sarcasm: :D :D

Whatever he needs, baby.

#44 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

I gelatinized all my beer tonight. At least all that would benefit from it. Stout and porter were excluded.

#45 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

I've had a batch of my Sierra Nevada clone with gelatin in it for almost a month. Any ill effects from it sitting that long? Planning bottling tonight!

#46 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

I've had a batch of my Sierra Nevada clone with gelatin in it for almost a month. Any ill effects from it sitting that long? Planning bottling tonight!

nope, bottle away.

#47 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54139 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, should be nice & clear and ready to roll. Cheers.

#48 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

Can I add gelatin to the primary prior to transferring to my bottling bucket? I ferment in BB's and let it ride for 4 weeks, rack to the bottling bucket and bottle. This works well for me as long as I rack carefully and I don't use a secondary for a number of reasons: a) I don't have enough fermenters , 2) I'm lazy, c) I don't want to, & 4) I don't see the need to expose myself to infection. Is there a problem if I gently add gelatin to the top of the primary, wait for it to clear, rack it & go?

#49 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Sure. Gelatin works better when the beer is cold.

#50 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

Can I add gelatin to the primary prior to transferring to my bottling bucket? I ferment in BB's and let it ride for 4 weeks, rack to the bottling bucket and bottle. This works well for me as long as I rack carefully and I don't use a secondary for a number of reasons: a) I don't have enough fermenters , 2) I'm lazy, c) I don't want to, & 4) I don't see the need to expose myself to infection. Is there a problem if I gently add gelatin to the top of the primary, wait for it to clear, rack it & go?

I think if you're naturally carbonating, adding gelatin is an issue whenever you add it since it will carry most of the yeast out of the beer. With the lack of yeasties in there you may not get enough carbonation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users