#41 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

I've convinced myself. This is a dumper.Probably pretty decent for most people that cant pick this flavor out. I've had worse at club meetings but once you convince your pallet about something even as minute as this, its history. *glug, glug, glug*Its been many years since I watered my lawn. :(

#42 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:08 AM

From beach's posting from fermentis."Leave for 30 minutesand then mix the wort e.g. using aeration."I always aerate and then pitch the yeast, interesting .

#43 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

From beach's posting from fermentis."Leave for 30 minutesand then mix the wort e.g. using aeration."I always aerate and then pitch the yeast, interesting .

yeah me too

#44 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

I usually aerate first, pitch the yeast and that shake the crap out of the carboy.

Edited by cavman, 11 May 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#45 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Late to the thread. US05 is one of the many clones of our yeast.It will throw diacetyl, but will clean it up quickly also. How long was your fermentation before chilling?MolBasser

#46 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Late to the thread. US05 is one of the many clones of our yeast.It will throw diacetyl, but will clean it up quickly also. How long was your fermentation before chilling?MolBasser

Two weeks including the d rest. Like you said, its a clone. Clones are not the same. I will stick with Chico.

#47 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Two weeks including the d rest. Like you said, its a clone. Clones are not the same. I will stick with Chico.

That's the conclusion I finally reached after a lot of side by side tasting.

#48 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Two weeks WITH A PROPERLY PITCHED ale of any remotely normal OG will be completely fermented out and free of diacetyl with that yeast at 68 degrees.I would look to other problems, bacteria come to mind with diacetyl after that sort of fermentation.MolBasser

#49 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Two weeks WITH A PROPERLY PITCHED ale of any remotely normal OG will be completely fermented out and free of diacetyl with that yeast at 68 degrees.I would look to other problems, bacteria come to mind with diacetyl after that sort of fermentation.MolBasser

None of my other beers using other strains do not have this issue.My cleaning and sanitation regime is most likely better than the majority of home brewers and more closely related to small breweries. All of my transfers are closed using co2 push.This beer was 15g of a 1.050 all Cascade ApA. Three packs of us05 pitched into properly aerated wort with a o2 stone.Fermented at 66* in a temp controlled fridge.FG was 1.008 and stayed at that gravity at room temp (70*) for 2-3 days. Which for an ale, that is the d-rest. Then cold crashed for another 1.5 weeks in primary at around 35*. Going into primary cold crash the gravity sample tasted where it should be. After keg and carb is when the flavor appeared and slowly got worse.Its possible I didn't do a long enough d-rest or didnt hydrate the way the website notes to do so. I've used us05 numerous times using the same protocol with the exception of a cold secondary vs primary cold crash. Only one other time in a IpA I noticed a very slight but distinct buttery flavor. Anyways, the yeast is to finicky for me and unpredictable. I never have issues with Chico and when needing a neutral strain it will always be that one. I will let others continue to use us05. But not me. Its just not anywhere the same.

Edited by BlKtRe, 12 May 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#50 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

After keg and carb is when the flavor appeared and slowly got worse

This comment really raises the micro issue.Even with meticulous sanitization, a bug can squeek by.MolBasser

#51 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Particularly with your draft lines. Perhaps it isn't the beer, but the despense....Just a possibility.MolBasser

#52 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

This comment really raises the micro issue.Even with meticulous sanitization, a bug can squeek by.MolBasser

getting worse does sound suspicious

#53 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

getting worse does sound suspicious

If there was a issue with even one of my other beers, Id also be concerned. But there isn't. Sure stuff gets by or can get by. I absolutely dont have issues with other beers. Ales or lagers. Its the strain. Im convinced the cold primary crash is the culprit. 1.5 weeks primary, 2 weeks primary cold crash is way to long for this strain.

#54 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

No, not at those temperatures. The possibility that this ONE batch got infected is pretty high given the symptoms you describe.Diacetyl from yeast does not get worse with age, it gets better. Increasing diacetyl is an indication of infection.MolBasser

Edited by MolBasser, 12 May 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#55 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

No, not at those temperatures. The possibility that this ONE batch got infected is pretty high given the symptoms you describe.Diacetyl from yeast does not get worse with age, it gets better. Increasing diacetyl is an indication of infection.MolBasser

Let me clarify worse. The gravity sample tasted fine before the cold crash. In keg is where it tasted questionable. Im not saying it got worse in keg. It is possible I didn't pick it out in the gravity sample after fermentation.

#56 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

The issue is that you are far beyond the time that would be needed for that yeast to clean up the diacetyl at the temperatures you describe. That is just the biochemistry of it.Even a very high gravity brew is gonna ferment out in less than 7 days at that temp with that yeast, and will have the diacetyl cleaned up by day 9.Did you keg condition the beer, or force carb? If you keg conditioned then you are looking at another spike up and then reduction of diacetyl.MolBasser

#57 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Force carb. I still think it was a fermentation issue.

#58 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'm not buying it. Just my .02MolBasser

#59 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

Explain the only two times it ever happened in my brewing career was with us05? A yeast even the manufacturer says throws diacytel. And never any other beer. Plus it was only kegged long enough to carb up. 3-5 days. First pour it was there. Its a ferment issue hands down.

#60 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Its possible a spec of crap could of gotten through my keg cleaner using PBW at 160* recirc. for 20 min. Plus a starsan soak, but Id be surprised. Could happen tho.Posted Image

Edited by BlKtRe, 12 May 2012 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users