81 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

It's very rare that I would use a dry yeast. I have used US-05 and maybe it's just me knowing that I used a dry yeast... but when I sample those beers, I say, "tastes like a beer made with a dry yeast". :lol: If I wanted a neutral American ale yeast then I would use 1056 or WLP001. Like BlktRe, I would never pitch questionable yeast and I would also need a very good reason to pitch dry yeast. I feel like I get some sort of funky, chemical-like flavor in beers made with dry yeast. But I will say that I have never had a beer made with US05 where I got diacetyl or fruity flavors but then again I try to ferment low (60-62° for ales) and I always secondary so there would be a chance for the yeast to clean itself up. I do not like the idea of primary -> drop the temp -> keg. I think the beer should sit at room temp for some amount of time to clean itself up. This applies to lagers and ales. Both get "cellar temp time" and then cold-kegged time before they hit the taps. Cheers.

#22 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

Make some mead and that will cure you of worrying about dry yeast. Dry yeast has tons of advantages over liquid. That said, I rarely use it for beer just because the selection isn't there. For mead it's the other way around and dry yeast is where the selection is.

#23 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Make some mead and that will cure you of worrying about dry yeast. Dry yeast has tons of advantages over liquid. That said, I rarely use it for beer just because the selection isn't there. For mead it's the other way around and dry yeast is where the selection is.

truth, it is spoken

#24 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

I don't use US-05 much but try to keep it around for that unplanned brewday. Have some now in the kegerator. I think I pick up diacetyl pretty well, but have met some that taste it everywhere. No, Andy, not you...... I think it's a simple great yeast to be able to pitch in a pinch. I have not had this problem with it, but again don't use it as much as I used to. Just don't expect much as far as esters and it does dry out, which I like.However, I am shocked that Mtn has not called it "souless".B)

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have not got diacetyl from it but I have gotten the apricot flavor. I remember giving a BMC drinker a version of Denny's RIPA done with S-05 and that was the first thing he said, is there apricot in here. With that said, I still keep it around and plan to use it this weekend in a citra wheat.

#26 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I used US05 on my second batch of beer. I completely disregarded any good practices for rehydrating the yeast and tossed it into the wort. Ended up being a butter bomb. Since then I have stuck to Wyeast and starters.Cheers,Rich

#27 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

You should definitely rehydrate the yeast before pitching. Someone said that you can lose up to half the yeast population if you just toss it in.

#28 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

You should definitely rehydrate the yeast before pitching. Someone said that you can lose up to half the yeast population if you just toss it in.

If you go to the Fermantis site they say that it should be rehydrated on a stir plpate for 15- 30 min and then let stand for another 30 min before pitching. Surprised me, in that it's more than just toss in some water and let it stand for 15 min (as I had thought).Beach

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

If you go to the Fermantis site they say that it should be rehydrated on a stir plpate for 15- 30 min and then let stand for another 30 min before pitching. Surprised me, in that it's more than just toss in some water and let it stand for 15 min (as I had thought).Beach

well heck, I'll have to remember that

#30 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

From the Fermentis site:

Pitching instructions: Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dryyeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once theexpected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant creaminto the fermentation vessel.Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature ofthe wort is above 20C (68F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring theyeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutesand then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.

Edited by beach, 09 May 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

If I ever use dry yeast again, I'll rehydrate correctly, but I like my Wyeast strains, so I'll stick to that.

#32 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

I've used Notty on a couple of recent batches. >US-05 IMOBeach

#33 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23567 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

:wub: US05 :wub: Always had good results with it.

#34 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

:wub: US05 :wub: Always had good results with it.

I've had ok results with it. Like I mentioned earlier, its to unpredictable for me. When Im buckling down tiny specifics of my brewing to make my beer the best it can be, it just doesn't work for me any longer. And is not easier to use because of the rehydration step vs making a starter from liquid.There is a noticeable difference between us05 and 1056. Even in my highly hopped beers there is a something slightly amiss which I dont get from 1056.Where us05 may have its place, it is no longer a direct replacement for 1056 in even a pinch for me.I have been using us05 during the summer months where its to hot to ship liquid yeast. Not anymore.I will just give our yeast bank lab rat in the club some 1056 and prop it up in the hotter months from now on.

Edited by BlKtRe, 09 May 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#35 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

I've used Notty on a couple of recent batches. >US-05 IMOBeach

funny thing is, if you believe the stories, US-05 is a direct descendant of the Nottingham strain

Edited by miccullen, 09 May 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#36 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

sunny thing is, if you believe the stories, US-05 is a direct descendant of the Nottingham strain

US-05 is 1056/WLP001 isn't it?

#37 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

funny thing is, if you believe the stories, US-05 is a direct descendant of the Nottingham strain

I did not know that. I find that it attenuates and flocs better that 05, takes off like a rocket and ferments faster and more vigorously. I prop dry yeast up from a single sache because of batch size (and OG of course). I pitched a 1600 ml starter of Notty into 12.25 gal of 1.064 wort in a 1/2 bbl fermenter. Took off in >4 hrs and blew off the next day. I hadn't had a blow off since I switched to sanke fermenters. YMMVBeach

#38 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

US-05 is 1056/WLP001 isn't it?

Obviously not.

#39 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Obviously not.

supposedly it is, who knows?but 1056/001 began it's life as growlers of slurry from Ballantine, which used Nottingham

#40 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

supposedly it is, who knows?but 1056/001 began it's life as growlers of slurry from Ballantine, which used Nottingham

Thanks mic.Beach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users