djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

$42, Its going to cost more for the valve then the cooler and copper pieces.Dan

It can be done easier and cheaper with that cooler. I'll try to remember to post some pics tonight.

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

$42, Its going to cost more for the valve then the cooler and copper pieces.Dan

I havent priced out building my own weldless fittings for awhile from McMaster but at the time I could have 2 fer 1 from there vs buying a complete setup from a homebrew store.

Then it was a poorly designed tun. My braid never crushes and it is far easier to clean than my froends who use manifolds.

All I do with my manifold is rinse it off. What makes a braid easier than that to clean?

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

All I do with my manifold is rinse it off. What makes a braid easier than that to clean?

Most of them disassemble the manifold to clean it. As long as you just rinse it off, it's no different than what I do with the braid.

#24 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Most of them disassemble the manifold to clean it. As long as you just rinse it off, it's no different than what I do with the braid.

I dont worry about disassembling but maybe once a year. I just blow water through it for a few seconds from the outlet while rinsing it off. Total time: less than a minute.

#25 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

I just rinse mine as well. From time to time I will soak it in hot PBW or Oxy, but I would do that with a coil from time to time too.

#26 DaveS

DaveS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

I use a Coleman cooler with a copper manifold, similar to Brewman's. Slits on mine are on the lower half of the tubing and the unit is not soldered together so it can be disassembled for cleaning, in needed. As for the valve, I use a brass spigot from Lowe's, available in the plumbing section. I think it's called a boiler valve, but it's what you'd find on your water heater to flush sediments from it. About $7, I think. It's a gate valve rather than a ball valve and requires more turns to open it, so it gives precise control of flow when fly sparging.

#27 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I remember from back in the day everybody was dissing the wheeled coolers over the regular square "ice cubes". Anybody see anything that much different or negative with the wheeled version?Academy has the 60qt. for $25 right now, and I'm ready to build a new one. That way when I go back home for my brewery, it'll be one less thing I'll have to move out here.

#28 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Didn't get the pics taken. Basically brass ball valve on the outside. 1/2" nipple going into the inside. Take the original drain out but save the original ferrule/washer. then take the cooler to the hardware store. Valve of choice, nipple that fits, copper fitting that is 1/2" female thread that will accept 1/2" copper tubing.Something like this, as I said fit all this stuff at the store.httpss://coppertubingsales.com/storefront/images/DSC01443[1] Maybe a 1/2" brass nut as needed to snug it up. Then just slide your manifold onto it. Don't solder the tee going into it so it's easy to slide on. You only need a watertight fit on the inside.

#29 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Bad link

#30 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

People used to not like the wheeled Ice Cubes because there was a hump where the axle went. (Made a great shizznit though.) I think they've changed the design and there's no axle anymore.

#31 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

People used to not like the wheeled Ice Cubes because there was a hump where the axle went. (Made a great shizznit though.) I think they've changed the design and there's no axle anymore.

Aww the invent of the Shiznit! Jamie where are you?Wally world is full of the wheeled cubes. I still have my original flat bottom 60 qt. Love that thing. Soon will be on the shelf next to my smaller ones and replaced with a 25g mega pot MT.

#32 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

So wait... There is no more axle, does that mean no more hump in the 60 qt? I will be getting one like today if that is the case. I already have all the copper I need for a new manifold.

#33 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

Here is a pic of the inside of the 50q Xtreme that Wally World had for $29. Not my pic.Posted Image

#34 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Sweet, my cooler has shipped and should be here Friday.Dan

#35 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

If you can find the same piece in brass you'll save a lot of money. That just happened to be the first one I found online. Mine's brass and it's been working just fine for 10 years.Oh, and it's not uncommon to spend more on the bits hanging off the cooler than the cooler itself. I paid like $20 for my Ice Cube but I've spent way more than that on valves, thermometers, sight tubes, etc.

Don't you have to cure the brass somehow? I thought there were issues with the acidity of the wort. It's been a few years since I read something of the sort, so I may not even be 50% accurate that there is an issue.Dan, I used CPVC for my manifold on my rectangular 42 Quart cooler.

#36 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

So wait... There is no more axle, does that mean no more hump in the 60 qt? I will be getting one like today if that is the case. I already have all the copper I need for a new manifold.

I think that's true but to be honest this is just hearsay. I haven't actually looked at one to verify. Go check it out and let us know.

Don't you have to cure the brass somehow? I thought there were issues with the acidity of the wort. It's been a few years since I read something of the sort, so I may not even be 50% accurate that there is an issue.Dan, I used CPVC for my manifold on my rectangular 42 Quart cooler.

You can pickle it if you want to. The advice I was getting was equivocal so I didn't.

#37 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

I think that's true but to be honest this is just hearsay. I haven't actually looked at one to verify. Go check it out and let us know.You can pickle it if you want to. The advice I was getting was equivocal so I didn't.

I will shoot out to Wally's and post back.I have never had any issue with the brass and mine has never been treated. Maybe I just don't notice it? I had SS before and I didn't notice a difference

#38 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

I will shoot out to Wally's and post back.I have never had any issue with the brass and mine has never been treated. Maybe I just don't notice it? I had SS before and I didn't notice a difference

I'm gonna run by Academy and look at their Igloo Cube. Last time I looked they still had the hump. Still don't see where it would really be a problem, anyway.

#39 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

I think it has to do with the geometry of the tun vs. the manifold. Potential for channeling or decreased efficiency I believe. I am sure someone else could chime in.

#40 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I think it has to do with the geometry of the tun vs. the manifold. Potential for channeling or decreased efficiency I believe. I am sure someone else could chime in.

Yeah, I remember that. I just don't see how the channeling thing can be an issue seeing how it is square except at the very bottom 3-4 inches there is a triangle where the spout is. I just went and looked at the one at Academy and it still has the small hump, but it does seem smaller than in the past. At $25 for a 60 quart Ice Cube, it's gonna be hard to pass up.I think I had channeling issues using my Igloo Cooler 10gal, with a single bazooka screen. I can't see how this would be worse when I would likely use a copper manifold that would cover much more area than my single bazooka. Just thinking out loud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users