#1 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Wally world has the Coleman Xtreme 50 Qt wheeled Cooler on sale for $29.88, with tax and shipping it totaled out at $33.94. Its on order and should be here in a few days.I also picked up the stuff for the manifold last night. So far this is what I have.1/2 inch copper pipe 5 feet long1/2 inch copper tee, quantity 71/2 inch copper 90 degree. quantity 21/2 inch copper cap. quantity 2Below is the design for my manifold. It will be shaped to fit the inside of the cooler. If anyone has this cooler and can give me the inside bottom dimensions I can start putting this together tonight.Posted ImageDan

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

any reason you went with a manifold over a SS braid?

#3 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

any reason you went with a manifold over a SS braid?

I borrowed a mash tun from the home brew store and it had the braid, to me it seemed very hard to clean and I crushed it flat when I was stirring the grain. The manifold seems to be a better option, more sturdy and easier to clean.I could be wrong.Dan

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

I borrowed a mash tun from the home brew store and it had the braid, to me it seemed very hard to clean and I crushed it flat when I was stirring the grain. The manifold seems to be a better option, more sturdy and easier to clean.I could be wrong.Dan

You are not wrong. Plus you can batch or fly sparge with a manifold. Cost to build isnt that much more if any than building a braid. I've never stuck a manifold either. Stuck plenty of braids and FB's in my day tho.

#5 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

I just converted my MT from a braid to a manifold and couldn't be happier. I found I get a better flow and I no longer fear the braid moving upward and becoming a snorkel.One question though, what is the purpose of the 2 tails on the one end?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Was not saying you were wrong at all just curious. I use a braid but have a SS spring inside to keep it from collapsing. I like it that you have a reason.. carry on!

#7 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

One question though, what is the purpose of the 2 tails on the one end?

I plan on having it about 1 1/2 inch in from the side wall, the two tabs keep it centered where I want it.Dan

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

I plan on having it about 1 1/2 inch in from the side wall, the two tabs keep it centered where I want it.

That's a good idea.

#9 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

Got the idea from JoeyPDan

#10 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Im just really happy with the cost of hte cooler. Wally World has it about 1/2 the cost as everyone else.Dan

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

What are you using for your ball valve?

#12 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

Got the idea from JoeyPDan

I posted the design over at the greenboard years ago. It was a design originally for the Cubes when they first came out.

#13 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

What are you using for your ball valve?

Thats just it, Im not sure which one to get to fit in the drain valve of the cooler. Some help would be nice.Dan

#14 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

Stangbat took the design one step further and added feet to the front section as well. I haven't had issues with just using the rear feet. Still have my original Cube with the design in it.That tun has seen a lot. Lost a handle, got melted on two sides, and the inside is brown instead of white. Still gets some use on small batches.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Well, I have the Ice Cube. I just used the stock bulkhead that was already in the cooler. On one end of the manifold I have a barbed nipple made of vinyl I think. Some food grade plastic. I used to have a stainless ball valve but it broke (I can't remember how) and I needed to get a new valve that day so I got a brass one from the hardware store. I can't find stainless ones locally. That valve is threaded on both sided for female. I but 2 more barbed nipples threaded male for 1/2 inch and it fits in there with just compression. Some people go much more complex, but mine doesn't leak and works great. I have not had any issue with the brass BTW.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thats just it, Im not sure which one to get to fit in the drain valve of the cooler. Some help would be nice.Dan

https://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/SS-Ball-Valve-Kit-for-Cooler-w-Hose-Barb-307p2547.htm

#17 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

https://www.highgrav...rb-307p2547.htm

Ooooo that is a nice piece

#18 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

$42, Its going to cost more for the valve then the cooler and copper pieces.Dan

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

If you can find the same piece in brass you'll save a lot of money. That just happened to be the first one I found online. Mine's brass and it's been working just fine for 10 years.Oh, and it's not uncommon to spend more on the bits hanging off the cooler than the cooler itself. I paid like $20 for my Ice Cube but I've spent way more than that on valves, thermometers, sight tubes, etc.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Then it was a poorly designed tun. My braid never crushes and it is far easier to clean than my froends who use manifolds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users