#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

Cold, which is fine. Pitch big, aerate well and prepare for about a 2 week primary. After the main ferment subsides, it will also be a good idea to keep swirling the yeast back into suspension.

yeah - I'm not pitching lager big but pretty big all the same. it will be about a 2L starter. this yeast is supposed to be a poor floccer so I wouldn't think swirling would be needed.

#22 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Cold, which is fine. Pitch big, aerate well and prepare for about a 2 week primary. After the main ferment subsides, it will also be a good idea to keep swirling the yeast back into suspension.

I ferment around 61df. Never swirl. You may need to in the 50's though. I think Alts come out better with lagering - at my place that's ~38df for a month if I'm patient.

#23 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

yeah - I'm not pitching lager big but pretty big all the same. it will be about a 2L starter. this yeast is supposed to be a poor floccer so I wouldn't think swirling would be needed.

Its a top cropper. So the majority of the yeast stays in the krausen or blown into your bucket. Ive used this strain 50-60x and know it well. Id swirl it later in the game. But im weird like that.

Edited by BlKtRe, 13 December 2011 - 07:13 PM.

#24 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

I ferment around 61df. Never swirl. You may need to in the 50's though. I think Alts come out better with lagering - at my place that's ~38df for a month if I'm patient.

Almost exact for me; 60-61 primary, lagered mid 30's for a month. Usually the lagering goes for 2 weeks then into the keg for carbing, but I do plan to wait a month at the beginning.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

so low 60s is the preferred temp? never used this yeast before.

#26 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

so low 60s is the preferred temp? never used this yeast before.

Wyeast suggests 55-68° F

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

Wyeast suggests 55-68° F

yeah - I saw that but I would guess that the character varies a lot over that range and most people have a preferred ferm temp.

#28 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

yeah - I saw that but I would guess that the character varies a lot over that range and most people have a preferred ferm temp.

From what I've read and heard most go for the lower range

#29 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'm a 60* guy.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

is a 90 min boil out of order here? I sometimes do them for recipes with a good amount of pils but sometimes I don't...

#31 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

is a 90 min boil out of order here? I sometimes do them for recipes with a good amount of pils but sometimes I don't...

ROT is boil 90 with Pils to avoid DMS. I've been using Canada Malting Pils and cheating - no DMS. But If I'm not in a hurry I do anyway, cheap insurance. Remember to adjust for extra boiloff.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

ROT is boil 90 with Pils to avoid DMS. I've been using Canada Malting Pils and cheating - no DMS. But If I'm not in a hurry I do anyway, cheap insurance. Remember to adjust for extra boiloff.

i've been using best malz pils. in a recipe like this I'm kind of borderline since it's only half pils. my o'fest is a little more than half pils and I've been doing 60 min boils on those without any issue - I'm almost talking myself into saving some fuel here :scratch: edit: scratch that - only 3lbs of pils in the o'fest.

Edited by StudsTerkel, 15 December 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#33 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

All I can say when I shortcut here I couldn't find a difference. I think I pick up DMS fairly well. Another 20 minutes (70 for no good reason is my usual) for the boil is pretty cheap with electric........B)

#34 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

I'm a 75 min boil guy on most styles except for Pilsner's or big beers..

Edited by BlKtRe, 15 December 2011 - 08:25 PM.

#35 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

I'm a 75 min boil guy on most styles except for Pilsner's or big beers..

For just tossing it around, I'd like to hear why. Just so I don't have to guess. B)

#36 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

For just tossing it around, I'd like to hear why. Just so I don't have to guess. B)

It allows the boil to stabilize pushing foam and protiens to the side. Which helps with a more accurate pre hop/OG sample. Also helps keep any boil over from happening when adding the addition. Pilsners and big beers for DMS and OG reasons aren't included. My theory anyways.

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

It allows the boil to stabilize pushing foam and protiens to the side. Which helps with a more accurate pre hop/OG sample. Also helps keep any boil over from happening when adding the addition. Pilsners and big beers for DMS and OG reasons aren't included. My theory anyways.

i suppose I could probably tack 10 mins on officially. I usually let the foam die down before I start the clock.

#38 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

Makes sense to me. With 70 min it does let things settle down before a 60 min addition goes in. Lately I've given up on pre hop gravity because a ton of FWH pellets was already in the kettle. Hard to get a refractometer reading when 8 oz of pellets is already in there.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:42 AM

it's been 5-6 days now and it looks like the gravity is around 1.02ish. much higher than anticipated but maybe it's not done. i started the ferm around 56-57F and over the last couple of days let it rise to around 60F since it had slowed down (airlock). there is still a lot of krausen on top - you guys still think I can knock down some more points off this thing? I was hoping to at least get down to 1.014...

#40 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

1.020 is that your gravity? If so you got 10 more points to go. When I said wait for a 2 week fermentation and swirl, now you know what I was talking about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users