#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

yeah - def still going. my hydro sample looks like it is fermenting :P I think it needs to warm up slightly to finish up. I'll let it get up to 61-62F just to be sure. at this point I can't imagine the temp rise contributing much in the way of esters or off-flavors.

httpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7IkKZw3zX08/TvSP6E8jlVI/AAAAAAAALmE/ARs2rLi6clU/s640/CIMG2746.JPG

#42 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

You won't get esters at that temp. Won't come into play until 68*.

#43 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

I would disagree on no esters until 68, but wouldn't be concerned about raising the temp on your beer. With just a few more points you won't get any noticeable flavor contribution, plus it can be your d-rest as well.

#44 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

I would disagree on no esters until 68, but wouldn't be concerned about raising the temp on your beer. With just a few more points you won't get any noticeable flavor contribution, plus it can be your d-rest as well.

My personal experience with 1007 really doesn't show esters until that temp. And its just slight. Really shows its face at 70. Never had diacetyl using 1007 either. Maybe other people have had that issue?

Edited by BlKtRe, 23 December 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#45 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

kind of neat - the hydro sample is really showing signs of fermentation. never seen this before...

#46 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

kind of neat - the hydro sample is really showing signs of fermentation. never seen this before...

Make sure to taste it. It will taste cloying sweet and even have that knarly, yeasty fermentation thing going on. This is one reason you need to lager an Alt for so long.

#47 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

Make sure to taste it. It will taste cloying sweet and even have that knarly, yeasty fermentation thing going on. This is one reason you need to lager an Alt for so long.

I was actually thinking of leaving it out for a while to see if I can watch the gravity drop on it.

#48 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

I was actually thinking of leaving it out for a while to see if I can watch the gravity drop on it.

There's a good chance you have some ambient bugs in it if it's been setting out for a day or so.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

There's a good chance you have some ambient bugs in it if it's been setting out for a day or so.

is this a big deal for just monitoring the gravity or are these bugs going to accelerate that?

#50 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:21 AM

Yeah, it won't match whats going on in the fermenter. The few times I've left an OG sample out overnight it started spontaneously.

#51 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

Agree w/Dan on leaving the hydrometer sample out unless you can cover it.

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

seemed like the hydro sample had already dropped close to 1.010 but hard to tell with the krausen in there. smelled like fermenting beer still so i didn't taste it - just dumped it.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

holy crap - just checked the gravity again and I'm down to 1.006???? never had a beer dry out this much - what gives?

#54 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

holy crap - just checked the gravity again and I'm down to 1.006???? never had a beer dry out this much - what gives?

Good job, they are supposed to be dry. Residual sweetness is a defect in this style IMO. It's a bit below guidelines but remember to compensate for your hydrometer reading if it's above 60df. And if needed change your grainbill a bit next time. Wait another 5 - 6 weeks after it's lagered some and decide.

#55 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

That's pretty dry, but dry is good, like DJ said. I shoot for 1.008-1.010, or at or just below the BJCP guidelines, but anywhere near their high end of 1.015 tastes way too sticky for an Alt, to me. I played around with my recipe and had one finish at 1.013 last year, and it was a perfectly okay beer, but it didn't seem like an Alt. Perhaps if I had planned for the higher OG and bumped the bitterness up a bit, but it was already at 40 IBU.This is one beer I step mash, though. 148°F for a good while to make sure it is dry, then step to 158-162°F to leave a little body.

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

This is one beer I step mash, though. 148°F for a good while to make sure it is dry, then step to 158-162°F to leave a little body.

maybe I'll give that a shot next time around. so you mash a little thick to begin with and then infuse some boiling water to raise the temp?

#57 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

This is one beer I step mash, though. 148°F for a good while to make sure it is dry, then step to 158-162°F to leave a little body.

Whats a good while? Id say most base malts today are pretty much converted inside 30min.

#58 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Whats a good while? Id say most base malts today are pretty much converted inside 30min.

I do something similar as Brauer: 148-158, usually at 148 for 40-45 minutes then bumped to 158 for the remainder of the mash typically 20 minutes.

#59 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

I do something similar as Brauer: 148-158, usually at 148 for 40-45 minutes then bumped to 158 for the remainder of the mash typically 20 minutes.

Basically just short of a mash out. If one is even needed :)

#60 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Interesting. I'll mash Alts, and a lot of others at 148df. Usually I've started recirculating with the EHERMS about 20 - 30 minutes into the mash. Around 50 minutes I'll reset the Ranco to about 167 for mashout/extra solubility. Guess I do have a short alpha range at the end. I don't really know how much is left for alpha to take care of at that point that beta hasn't chopped away at already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users