#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:38 AM

I'm not sure which version of the style I'm going for but here is the recipe right now:5 gal batch6lbs Pilsen3.5lbs Munich0.25lbs Caramunich III0.25lbs Aromatic0.125lbs carafa special IIsingle infusion mash at 152F1oz Hallertau FWH0.8oz magnum (german) @ 90 mins1oz Hallertau @ 30 minsferment with wyeast 1007specs:SRM: 12OG: 1.053IBU 47how does this look?I'm planning on putting my chloride to sulfate around 32:38 which should be a little towards the "bitter" side of "balanced".

#2 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:32 AM

It depends on the %aa on the Magnum, but I'm calculating a lot more than 47 IBU by Tinseth.
For my preferences, I'd move the 30' addition to 20' and drop the IBU to 35-40, but then I'd also mash at 148°F, to get it dry. But some people seem to like them more bitter.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

mine magnum are 12.1%. I can't remember which calculation I'm using but the good news is that magnum is pretty smooth. I'll still consider dropping it a bit. good suggestions all around - originally I was planning on mashing lower...

#4 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

- originally I was planning on mashing lower...

My suggestions are just my personal preference for the style. What were your thoughts that led you to change your mind? A slightly bigger, fuller bodied, more bitter but also maltier, German-style Ale sounds pretty good to me at the moment, as the weather starts to start getting cold, so I wouldn't balk at making the beer as you wrote it out. As long as you are confident in the IBUs, it looks tasty. Little changes, like higher gravity, hotter mashing, higher IBUs make it drift further and further away from the style, if that's what you're shooting for, but they can make a fantastic beer.

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

Id drop the mash temp to 148 to finish drier like alt's should be.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

My suggestions are just my personal preference for the style. What were your thoughts that led you to change your mind? A slightly bigger, fuller bodied, more bitter but also maltier, German-style Ale sounds pretty good to me at the moment, as the weather starts to start getting cold, so I wouldn't balk at making the beer as you wrote it out. As long as you are confident in the IBUs, it looks tasty. Little changes, like higher gravity, hotter mashing, higher IBUs make it drift further and further away from the style, if that's what you're shooting for, but they can make a fantastic beer.

yeah - I was worrying about the body but I think it will probably be fine with a lower mash temp...

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

Id drop the mash temp to 148 to finish drier like alt's should be.

Give the man a cigar. eta - I'd bump the Aromatic/Melanoidin and the Carafa

Edited by djinkc, 03 December 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

Give the man a cigar. eta - I'd bump the Aromatic/Melanoidin and the Carafa

bump them up? eta: just in case you weren't aware I believe aromatic is more intense than melanoidin.

Edited by StudsTerkel, 04 December 2011 - 05:36 AM.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

bump them up? eta: just in case you weren't aware I believe aromatic is more intense than melanoidin.

I've used both in Alts. I can't tell a difference. I think they are about as close to identical as you can get with specialty grains. I'll routinely use 1# or either in a 10+ gallon batch. I use Carafa III, usually 1# also but I've cut back to 1/2 for some too. I don't use Caramunich but Blktre does and he makes killer alts. Just my tastes but they have scored well and medaled.

Edited by djinkc, 04 December 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

I've used both in Alts. I can't tell a difference. I think they are about as close to identical as you can get with specialty grains. I'll routinely use 1# or either in a 10+ gallon batch. I use Carafa III, usually 1# also but I've cut back to 1/2 for some too. I don't use Caramunich but Blktre does and he makes killer alts. Just my tastes but they have scored well and medaled.

yeah - I went light on the caramunich as kind of an average between those for and against it in alts :P what's the diff between carafa special II and III? is it just lovibond?

#11 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

yeah - I went light on the caramunich as kind of an average between those for and against it in alts :P what's the diff between carafa special II and III? is it just lovibond?

yeah, IIRC III is about 50 SRM higher eta - and both are dehusked

Edited by djinkc, 04 December 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

alright - added 2oz of aromatic and 1oz of carafa special II. probably not as far as you would have gone but I'm a little conservative. thanks for the inputs :cheers:

#13 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

alright - added 2oz of aromatic and 1oz of carafa special II. probably not as far as you would have gone but I'm a little conservative. thanks for the inputs :cheers:

Eh, I've brewed quite a few and settled in on a basic recipe. Like every other style that's how to tweak it to what you want. and of course started playing with it lately to see what happens............. :cheers:

#14 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

and of course started playing with it lately to see what happens............. :cheers:

Not much at your age :)

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

just got the yeast starter going for next weekend! w00t!

#16 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:56 AM

Minimize the caramunich addition trust me on this. I would cut it in half from the original recipe, just not the correct malt profile in a dussy. It will still be a good beer just not as good as it could be.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:21 AM

Minimize the caramunich addition trust me on this. I would cut it in half from the original recipe, just not the correct malt profile in a dussy. It will still be a good beer just not as good as it could be.

alright - I dropped that down and upped the munich a bit.

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

just got the yeast starter going for next weekend! w00t!

What temp do you plan on fermenting at?

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

What temp do you plan on fermenting at?

I'm going to shoot for around 57F I think.

#20 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:45 AM

I'm going to shoot for around 57F I think.

Cold, which is fine. Pitch big, aerate well and prepare for about a 2 week primary. After the main ferment subsides, it will also be a good idea to keep swirling the yeast back into suspension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users