#61 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

I can really detect the high mash temperature in this year's beer. Great body. The malt flavor is particularly nice and it has about the best head retention I've ever seen on a beer. The hop flavor and, particularly, the aroma is milder than I recall it being in the past. It's a much more malt-focussed beer than I remember.

Agreed. My first 6er was not what Id call Cele. Must of been handled wrong or something. Total dissapoint. I've had a 12er since and the aroma has improved but not to the extent of what I remember in the past. And it does end sweeter on the pallet. Not nearly as bitter either. Altho, sometimes when a beer ends a little sweeter it will shadow the bitterness. Overall a good, sound beer with a nice citrus pallet. 2010 was the best in 3 yrs by far IMO.

Edited by BlKtRe, 01 December 2011 - 09:46 AM.

#62 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

Wow. I would love to get the packaging date and store location of your purchase. At the brewery we can do nothing but rave about this year's cele. Best in years is the general consensus. One issue that we seem to encounter is the fact that the market is flooded with Uber hopped beers and consumers are getting de-sensitized, and so beers that they once percieved as being super hoppy are now not so much. MolBAsser

Having recently had Celebration at the brewery, I totally agree with Basser. It was just as excellent as it always is.

#63 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Having recently had Celebration at the brewery, I totally agree with Basser. It was just as excellent as it always is.

As with most beers, its always at its best at the brewery!

#64 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

As with most beers, its always at its best at the brewery!

Ya know, every damn year I've been into brewing (going on 14 now), someone on some forum will post saying that Celebration isn't as good as last year. It cracks me up....first of all, how good is your (the rhetoric "your") taste memory? Second, the people who compare it to bottles they've saved from the past can't do a fair comparison since those bottles are a year or more old.

#65 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Funny Denny. Guess that rule goes for the brewers themselves! :)I never vertical beers from previous years and expect them to taste the same.

Edited by BlKtRe, 01 December 2011 - 02:52 PM.

#66 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

Agreed. My first 6er was not what Id call Cele. Must of been handled wrong or something. Total dissapoint. I've had a 12er since and the aroma has improved but not to the extent of what I remember in the past. And it does end sweeter on the pallet. Not nearly as bitter either. Altho, sometimes when a beer ends a little sweeter it will shadow the bitterness. Overall a good, sound beer with a nice citrus pallet. 2010 was the best in 3 yrs by far IMO.

I agree with this the Cele is a great beer again but the hop profile is less pronounced throughout. Less bitterness as well as flavor/aroma still an excellent beer. Either that or my palette has changed again towards bitterness.

#67 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Hey Andy, have you had Free State's "Winter Fest" yet? Just bought a 6er today...along with a 6er of cele. I've had one of each...and I've gotta admit, I prefer Winter Fest. (this year) Has a more pronounced aroma and is just an overall very nice beer. The cele is good, but I'mma buy more Winter Fest for sure...we'll see about Cele.I haven't had anything from Free State that hasn't been at least 'good'. Of course, I'm sure Free State being local and Sierra Nevada being from Cali has something to do with that. (freshness/shipping/etc)

#68 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

Yes, the Freestate Winter Fest is tasty. It show cases Galaxy. They have three versions of a Galaxy IpA. I've had them all. I like the version they brought to our clubs annual Brewfest and the Winter Fest the best. They are trying to come up with a version to add to the line up. Like they need to brew yet another beer. Comparing to Cele, Freestate wins hands down in the aroma. Close on hop flavor. Toss up there. And both seem to finish about the same. Other than aroma and a little different kind of hop flavor you can't go wrong with either. But God Bless The Almighty Freestate going head to head with SN. I like both beers to be honest. But 2 yrs ago Cele left a huge impression on me.

Edited by BlKtRe, 16 December 2011 - 04:51 PM.

#69 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

Galaxy, huh? Nice. I can definitely say that, used correctly, that hop makes a damn nice IPA. Next time you talk to the guys from Free State, tell them that they've got a bunch of fans in Wichititty. (and I'm sure across the state) They really do make some damn fine beers there.I'd agree that you can't go wrong with either cele or Winter Fest. Both are very nice...I'm just proud that the state of KS has a place cranking out beers that can be compared to a brewery like Sierra Nevada. :cheers:I can't recommend anything else that comes out of Lawrence, but Free State beers really are legit. ;)

#70 HERMSman

HERMSman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

I brewed the Celebration recipe last Tuesday. Color came out spot-on. I will see how it turns out in a couple of weeks. Excellent beer!

#71 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

I agree with this the Cele is a great beer again but the hop profile is less pronounced throughout. Less bitterness as well as flavor/aroma still an excellent beer. Either that or my palette has changed again towards bitterness.

This. The numbers haven't changed.

MolBasser

#72 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

I've got a pound of Galaxy pellets in my freezer.I don't know really why. I just got them.Anybody want some?They are about a year old.. Vacuum sealed in nitrogen...MolBasser

#73 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Check that, they are not in my freezer.What the hell happened to them?:scratch:MolBasser

#74 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

Check that, they are not in my freezer. What the hell happened to them? :scratch: MolBasser

The Cele recipe was changed without your knowing!

#75 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14894 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

Cele tasted great right out of the mash tun :frank:

#76 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

This. The numbers haven't changed. MolBasser

Nope may have been a handling issue of some sort or your first batch was subpar this year. I have been enjoying this regularly and the late hop both flavor and aroma seems to be back. You will be happy to know it has been my most commonly purchased beer for home consumption all year. When I go out to beer bars I never get it though. "Oh you have fresh Sculpin, great I'll have that."

#77 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

This. The numbers haven't changed. MolBasser

Actually numbers are just numbers. We all know that we can hit the same numbers and because of other things a beer can be hard to replicate. Altho, repeatably is easier for larger breweries. But I agree with cavman, that first batch was subpar. The ones that followed were closer to what the beer is supposed to be.

#78 *_Guest_elkshadow_*

*_Guest_elkshadow_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd add here instead of starting a new one. I'm trying the PA recipe on monday. I wanted anybody who did this what percentage of IBUs come from bittering/flavor additions? I have been studying all the clone recipes I could find and it seems like ~25 come from bittering and ~12 come from late additions. Also, every recipe tends to have double the amount of flameout as flavor. So here's what I have:

Posted Image

Any thoughts?

ETA: I've read they use a Magnum/Perle combo so I have this one also:

Posted Image

All thoughts appreciated.

Edited by elkshadow, 26 January 2013 - 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users