77 replies to this topic

#21 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

I've mashed at 158-160 before, but only on session beers. i wouldn't have the cajones to do it on a bigger beer.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

I've mashed at 158-160 before, but only on session beers. i wouldn't have the cajones to do it on a bigger beer.

I'm kind of wishing I had mashed a lot higher on my 60/-. I think it would have made it a lot better.

#23 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

I'm kind of wishing I had mashed a lot higher on my 60/-. I think it would have made it a lot better.

Funny you say that, that was the beer I mashed at 160 on. Try it next time. That beer was very well received. :cheers:

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

Funny you say that, that was the beer I mashed at 160 on. Try it next time. That beer was very well received. :cheers:

recipe?

#25 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

recipe?

All at home. I'll plug it in here a little later. I think it was based on JZ's, but slightly tweaked.

#26 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Since you brought it up, I was going to ask something. This year's Cele is lacking compared to previous years. I could tell as soon as I popped the cap when there was no hop aroma. One of the things I love about Cele is how big the hops are, how dry it is, and the balance. This year's is lacking aroma and finishes sweeter than before. I remember about 3yrs ago this same thing happened. Maybe its just me and I put this beer up on a pedestal. I dont think that's the case. I will still buy it while I can, but seriously doubt I will put any in the cellar for after Christmas. So, is it me or am I right? My wife agree's with me and I didn't even have to say anything. She spoke up first. Btw Cele my favorite beer ever.

Edited by BlKtRe, 27 October 2011 - 12:20 PM.

#27 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

And by the 2/3 and 1/3 do you mean a blend composed by weight of this or by IBU contribution?

Weight. MolBasser

#28 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

We're talking about a 3000 gallon tank. How do we know that the temperature in the tank is uniform? How do you know that YOUR mash temp is uniform? How many thermocouples do they have measuring the mash? Do they just have one, and reference that as the 'mash temp' regardless of what the real temp distribution is? Controlling 3000 gallons of slurry to 0.5F is a tough task.

We've got a massive stir paddle at the bottom of the mash tun, it is in constant motion. (well almost, it does rest a couple of times in the mash). We get the whole 200bbl thing into the mash tun at just a couple of degrees lower than mash temp and have the whole thing up to temp in like 5 or so minutes. Trust me, the mash temp is the mash temp of the entire mash. We trim 0.5 degrees either way and it makes a big difference. The mash tun can hold about 10k gallons, I think. MolBasser

#29 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

To understand better, we wet mill at SNBCo, which means that we soak the grain in a steeping chamber before it gets milled, and as it is milled it is directly mixed with strike water so the mash that is getting pumped into the mash tun is very very close to mash temp. The whole thing is mixed most of the time and it is completely steam jacketed, so we get to our mash temp quickly and accurately. MolBasser

#30 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

Since you brought it up, I was going to ask something. This year's Cele is lacking compared to previous years. I could tell as soon as I popped the cap when there was no hop aroma. One of the things I love about Cele is how big the hops are, how dry it is, and the balance. This year's is lacking aroma and finishes sweeter than before. I remember about 3yrs ago this same thing happened. Maybe its just me and I put this beer up on a pedestal. I dont think that's the case. I will still buy it while I can, but seriously doubt I will put any in the cellar for after Christmas. So, is it me or am I right? My wife agree's with me and I didn't even have to say anything. She spoke up first. Btw Cele my favorite beer ever.

Wow. I would love to get the packaging date and store location of your purchase. At the brewery we can do nothing but rave about this year's cele. Best in years is the general consensus. One issue that we seem to encounter is the fact that the market is flooded with Uber hopped beers and consumers are getting de-sensitized, and so beers that they once percieved as being super hoppy are now not so much. MolBAsser

#31 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

One thing is that this year is very floral. I get a huge rose note out of it. This may mask the more traditional pine and citrus notes that you are used to. The rose note this year is huge. MolBasser

#32 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23499 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

Wow. I would love to get the packaging date and store location of your purchase. At the brewery we can do nothing but rave about this year's cele. Best in years is the general consensus. One issue that we seem to encounter is the fact that the market is flooded with Uber hopped beers and consumers are getting de-sensitized, and so beers that they once percieved as being super hoppy are now not so much. MolBAsser

I could see that buyers would be "de-sensitized" with all the hoppy love out there!!

#33 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Any luck on that ESB recipe?

#34 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

Man, that one is buried, but I can try. MolBasser

#35 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

If you can't find it, don't sweat it. I could improvise from the info on the website...

#36 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

Basser,I rationalized what you were saying about hops and pallets. But my entire 6er was no hop nose at all. I will tell you what, I will get some more and re-evaluate. If its the same I will pm you where I got it. I know this beer well but there are always different factors that come into play when sampling. I will make sure its the first beer of the day for one.

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

Basser, I rationalized what you were saying about hops and pallets. But my entire 6er was no hop nose at all. I will tell you what, I will get some more and re-evaluate. If its the same I will pm you where I got it. I know this beer well but there are always different factors that come into play when sampling. I will make sure its the first beer of the day for one.

Have you stopped or started smoking during this period? eating different food?

#38 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

Never smoke and just drink beer....lol. But whats weird is my wife said it to and best summed it up by saying"I can't remember year to year specifics but know this years beer is not memorable "Like I said, I will try some more.

Edited by BlKtRe, 28 October 2011 - 10:11 AM.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

Like I said, I will try some more.

you'll suffer through it i'm sure :P

#40 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

Weird. I had lunch with Ken today and we both noted how we thought this years cele was awesome. Please get back to me. I suspect that you got abused beer. MolBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users