#41 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25596 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:22 PM

Controlling 3000 gallons of slurry to 0.5F is a tough task.

I can believe that. I have a hard time controling 10 galllons of slurry.

Though, maybe not, IIRC Jamil employed a 160F mash to clone Lagunitas' IPA.

Hmmm. I have always been of the opinion that Lagunitas beers has a certain unique flavor profile. I have never noticed it in other beers. But when I drink a Lagunitas, I recognize it right away. Perhaps it comes from higher than typical mash temps.

#42 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:25 AM

Hmmm. I have always been of the opinion that Lagunitas beers has a certain unique flavor profile. I have never noticed it in other beers. But when I drink a Lagunitas, I recognize it right away. Perhaps it comes from higher than typical mash temps.

I always considered it part of their house yeast profile, I know they use an English strain.

#43 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:15 AM

Weird. I had lunch with Ken today and we both noted how we thought this years cele was awesome. Please get back to me. I suspect that you got abused beer. MolBasser

Im getting some more today and will let you know. Its possible the beer was abused. Btw, the entire 6er was like I described. Thanks again....

#44 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Please do. If fresh, it should have a massive geraniol (rose) aroma. The hops this year were epic! The beer has been consistently awesome in sensory. MolBasser

#45 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25596 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

I always considered it part of their house yeast profile, I know they use an English strain.

To me, it is a sticky almost sweetness kind of a flavor. It is in every beer of theirs that I can remember. My gut instinct was to suspect it came from the grain bill. But if they employ an unusual mashing method, that could be it.

#46 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

Something else worth mentioning is that they use Eng Crystal Malt not C60. https://www.sierrane...brationale.html English Crystal (Caramel Malt) 37 L Also known as CaraStan, use 5 to 20% of our English Crystal to add color and a full, toffee/sweet flavor to Bitters, Pale Ales and Porters. https://www.brewery....ry/Malt101.html :cheers:

#47 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

Something else worth mentioning is that they use Eng Crystal Malt not C60. https://www.sierrane...brationale.html English Crystal (Caramel Malt) 37 L Also known as CaraStan, use 5 to 20% of our English Crystal to add color and a full, toffee/sweet flavor to Bitters, Pale Ales and Porters. https://www.brewery....ry/Malt101.html :cheers:

I'm gonna go ahead and say they use C60, not C37. "English Crystal" comes in many different degrees of color, not just 37. The Malt101 page is a basic, old and imprecise reference and the posted recipe comes from the master brewer at SN. The SN website actually reads "English Caramel" and my interpretation is that they are alluding to the fact that the caramel malt used is produced by a UK maltster rather than a domestic one. For example: https://www.brewerss....com/Crisp.html You can see that Crisp, and English maltster produces several types of Crystal malt. From C15-C120 all of those Crisp Crystal malts could be called "English Crystal" or "English Caramel". I think CaraStan is a specific English Crystal in the range of 30-40*L, which might actually be a trademark brand name but not certain about that, some maltsters give their malts trade names rather than market them with generic malt names. As an example of the imprecision of that Malt101 page, it lists Bamburg smoked malt as a Belgian malt. Bamberg is in Bavaria, Germany and is spelled with an "e" not a "u". Also, it lists Black Patent Malt as American, the whole "patent" thing with Black Malt is an English patent from like 200 years ago, it's not an American invention.

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

They tried, and failed, to clone this on Can You Brew It. https://www.thebrewi...k.com/shows/717

#49 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

They tried, and failed, to clone this on Can You Brew It. https://www.thebrewi...k.com/shows/717

They get Steve on the phone. Definitely C60... "It's a wonderfully complex beer but it is a particularly easy recipe. ... You've got 2-row pale and you've got C60 caramel, and the caramel is about 11% of your grist." So that should also resolve the issue with 89 + 9 != 100

#50 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

We get the whole 200bbl thing into the mash tun at just a couple of degrees lower than mash temp and have the whole thing up to temp in like 5 or so minutes.

So, if I understand right, you mash in at about 155°F then heat the mash for about 5 minutes to get to 157.5°F. Just to get an idea of how long it spends at ~155°F, about how long does it take to get everything into the tun.

#51 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

Mash in is about 25 minutes or so to fill the tun. Then just about 5 minutes to get the whole thing to temp.MolBasser

#52 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and say they use C60, not C37. "English Crystal" comes in many different degrees of color, not just 37. The Malt101 page is a basic, old and imprecise reference and the posted recipe comes from the master brewer at SN. The SN website actually reads "English Caramel" and my interpretation is that they are alluding to the fact that the caramel malt used is produced by a UK maltster rather than a domestic one. For example: https://www.brewerss....com/Crisp.html You can see that Crisp, and English maltster produces several types of Crystal malt. From C15-C120 all of those Crisp Crystal malts could be called "English Crystal" or "English Caramel". I think CaraStan is a specific English Crystal in the range of 30-40*L, which might actually be a trademark brand name but not certain about that, some maltsters give their malts trade names rather than market them with generic malt names. As an example of the imprecision of that Malt101 page, it lists Bamburg smoked malt as a Belgian malt. Bamberg is in Bavaria, Germany and is spelled with an "e" not a "u". Also, it lists Black Patent Malt as American, the whole "patent" thing with Black Malt is an English patent from like 200 years ago, it's not an American invention.

FWIW...at the very end of this episode Jamil's mentioned that it could be 60 EBC, not 60L.

#53 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

FWIW...at the very end of this episode Jamil's mentioned that it could be 60 EBC, not 60L.

Yeah, that's wrong, they were just coming up with ideas as to why they failed. They don't talk in EBC at American craft breweries.

#54 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, that's wrong, they were just coming up with ideas as to why they failed. They don't talk in EBC at American craft breweries.

Sweet! I brewed the celebration this weekend for AHA learn to brew day and I used 60L.

#55 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

We use the lovibond scale for malt at SNBCo.C-60l malt is the crystal used in Pale and Cele.MolBasser

#56 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

I can really detect the high mash temperature in this year's beer. Great body. The malt flavor is particularly nice and it has about the best head retention I've ever seen on a beer.

This year's Cele is lacking compared to previous years.

The hop flavor and, particularly, the aroma is milder than I recall it being in the past. It's a much more malt-focussed beer than I remember.

#57 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Interesting.These are not my impressions, but that is just it, they are not my impressions. I always love hearing what other people have to say about our beer.Personally, I find the hop aroma (particularly the floral notes) to be very strong this year. Almost too strong on the rose note.We haven't changed anything in the process.MolBasser

#58 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64059 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:40 AM

I better find some Cele on the way home or I am going to be PISSED!

#59 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

We're loving it. May need to get a keg again.

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

I better find some Cele on the way home or I am going to be PISSED!

It is all over Mass, you should be able to find it easily ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users